Author Topic: A couple of Queries  (Read 4943 times)

Hi. I'd like to introduce myself; I first heard properly about Freespace two and your project a month or so ago, through a PCGamer article. Recently, I managed to install a copy of the game, and it is brilliant!

So then I decided to try out your mod. At first it seemed very confusing (a suggestion: perhaps every so often, release the mod in a single zip, launcher/executable/vp files included?), but I reckon I worked it out. However, I have two questions to ask:

1. Having installed the mod to what I think is completely (executable, launcher, vp files), I started it up. However, after playing a couple of missions, I realised that while there a couple of noticeable differences (3D sub-space warp and the 3d radar being most of them), there didn't seem to be much of a difference, at least not on a par with your screenshots. I am on the first few missions at the moment; will the visuals improve as I play on?

2. One thing I did to check for improvements was to look at the exterior of the ships, both ones I was fighting and the ones I were flying. Through this, I didn't notice any real difference; the ships had none of the speculars, glowmaps or mip-mapped textures described in the mod.
So far, I have played with the Myrmidon and Hercules mk 2; these, despite being the two first (and as far as I am aware, only) ships you pilot, had none of the graphical update I had expected. Yet a ship such as the Hercules, while being a predecessor to my current ship, has been massively upgraded with hi-poly models and textures. Why is this?

Before you ask, I have extracted the vp files into my root folder. I have selected and applied the various graphical features on the launcher. And I have a system capasble of handling these updates:

So why don't they show?

I hope for an answer to my query. Thank you for the brilliant mod so far.

-Fat Zombie
"Yn'gnl sh'g: D'phnegul k'tha dugh, ughl'nigu'ra ulfn'ahk y'ngwu Maghoor-N'kyah? F'nakhr ugh'r'yheh liung'ngu a'Phtak'lu, hfir'knia y'nu h'lyeahugha Oprah rg'ynh."

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Check my FAQ for a guide on how to install FS2_Open. That way you can check if you did everything right :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Check my FAQ for a guide on how to install FS2_Open. That way you can check if you did everything right :)

Okay. I've done what is said on the wiki. I forgot to extract the textures vp, so the textures are better.

HOWEVER. Now, when I attempt to continue my original campaign, it ctd's halfway through loading. Any ideas why?

EDIT: I moved the media vps into a new folder, basically.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 02:24:22 pm by Fat Zombie »
"Yn'gnl sh'g: D'phnegul k'tha dugh, ughl'nigu'ra ulfn'ahk y'ngwu Maghoor-N'kyah? F'nakhr ugh'r'yheh liung'ngu a'Phtak'lu, hfir'knia y'nu h'lyeahugha Oprah rg'ynh."

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Where did you move the vp archives to?
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Where did you move the vp archives to?

vp archives? If you mean the vp files (textures, effects, core, etc.) I moved them to a seperate folder (mediavps).

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
's what I meant. They're vp files technically, but all they are are large archives.....    but I digress.

's what I meant. They're vp files technically, but all they are are large archives.....    but I digress.

So why do you ask? Does anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: Tried it without the "Mod" (mediavps). Worked. Hmmm.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
well, if your intention is to just play the main campaign with the enhanced graphics, you might as well leave the media vp's in the root (games\freespace 2\ )folder. It only gets interesting when you have more than one mod you want to use at a time...

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
You should also put them in mediavps if you intend to play FS2 Retail or multiplayer with someone not using them as it makes it so much easier to do that. It also makes the kind of troubleshooting step that Fat Zombie just tried to turn off the media VPs as simple as a single button click. 

EDIT: Tried it without the "Mod" (mediavps). Worked. Hmmm.

That basically means that one of your media VPs is causing the problem. The first thing I would suggest that you try is to create a new pilot and see if you can load a mission with it.

You should also put them in mediavps if you intend to play FS2 Retail or multiplayer with someone not using them as it makes it so much easier to do that.

I seem to have discovered that textures_vp is the problem. Without it, it works fine. (But a bit choppy, even with just specular and glowmaps on; it ran fine before)

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I'm surprised that is the culprit. It's not got anything that should cause you problems.

Which build of FS2_Open are you using?

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Which mediavps (version, like 3.6.7) have you installed? Which build are you using?
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Okay. I'm using the standard, 3.6.5 build of fs2 open.

I got the vps from the download section on the Source Code website.

Also, for the choppiness: it judders. It's like bits of high fps alternating with low fps.

Okay. I'm now trying out fs2_open_G-20050728.exe

This works a bit less juddery. But when I quite, it ends with a "Fs2 had to close" thingy. odd.

GOOD-AGE!!

I tried the texture vp with the current build, and it works! And it doesn't seem to be that choppy any more. :D

Now i'm going to try the env-map feature. Cross fingers!

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Current build? From recent builds thread? And are you using OGL or DX?
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Well, it worked!! TEH SHINYZORZ!!!1one (sorry)

This is such a cool game. I'm currently on mission... uh... the one where you have to destroy the Rhama? Big ship? In nebula?

Anyway. I'm using D3d, with the Goober 5000 build.

ONE THING THOUGH: When I play this game, I think that the music off of Lylat Wars (Starfox 64 for Americans) would suit it perfectly.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Or you could simply play the Starfox mod when it's finished :)

Oh and it's the Ravana :D

Ah, ravana. That's it.

And WOOOAAAAHH!!! STARFOX!! :D

ONE MORE THEEENG!!

Yes, it looks nice and spangly. But I looked at the Lysander, and it looked nothing as shiny as this:

SHINY

I'm in the nebula right now. Will it improve when i'm out? Or do I need something else?