Author Topic: FS2 Multi working instructions as of 9/4/06!!!  (Read 6677 times)

Offline Hoda

FS2 Multi working instructions as of 9/4/06!!!
USE THIS FS2.EXE  ! (toms build)
http://www.freespacezone.com/files/toms.exe
DISCLAIMER: NOT SUPPORTED OR ENDORSED BY ANYONE EXCEPT TOM!  THE SCP TEAM RECOMMENDS 3.6.9

PXO Server IP CONFIG

PXO REGISTRATION (Use this same Username and PW in your FS2 multiplayer config option screen)
http://freespaceserver.cjb.net/fs2netd/main.php?area=register

After registering and setting up your PXO in fs2 you should be able to list games on the games-warden site.

Please do not edit my post, its for people who want to simply play the game.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 07:56:57 pm by Goober5000 »

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: FS2 Multi working instrusctions as of 9/4/06!!!
 instrusctions ??

Does this save pilot stats???? :drevil:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Hoda

Re: FS2 Multi working instructions as of 9/4/06!!!
Theres a few missions that will save stats to the new PXO at games-warden linked to somewhere.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Is there some connection betwen Game Warden and games-warden? :nervous:

...and, it's not very elaborate to say "some of the missions save the stats to somewhere".  :rolleyes:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
USE THIS FS2.EXE  ! (toms build)
http://www.freespacezone.com/files/toms.exe

Why in the name of Satan's hairy ballsack are you telling people they need Tom's Build when 3.6.9 RC 7 (or probably any recent build) will work perfectly well?   :confused:
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Hoda

it works, and its the only game ive played in 4 years, and it works
and it works too

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
 :wtf: :sigh:  ::) :lol:

I believe Janos' siggy would be an appropriate answer to that.

Quote from: Janos
lol wtf
« Last Edit: September 05, 2006, 03:17:29 pm by Herra Tohtori »
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
it works, and its the only game ive played in 4 years, and it works and it works too

As do modern SCP versions. I've spent many hours making sure that they work in multiplayer. And if there is something I've missed I'd rather be informed of it now while I can still get the fix in before 3.6.9 official is released.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
There you go, kara. :)

Toms build is the MOST STABLE BUILD availble for multiplayer, and im sorry if you like your game crashing because of the stupid bugs in 3.6.9 every time you try to load the mission and still think your 3.6.9 **** is better, toms build almostnever crashes for me and when it does it usually because someone messaged me on aim, which can easly be fixed by turning aim off anyways. Now look, I relize you guys dont support toms build but you must relize that there are people who just want to play, they dont care about all the fancy do-dads fs2_open has to offer. It would be nice to have people online but you guys are preventing it by filtering out our posts and saying not to do what we have to say because thats not how you want it done. I mean damn dude 3.6.9 doesnt even want to connect to fs2net for me or any person ive talked to who tried to use it for multiplayer. Toms - it works every time.

Another thing, dont edit peoples posts like that goober, thats bs what you did.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 12:49:05 am by [DW]-Hunter »

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
I think you are missing the point... If the 3.6.9 builds are not used for multiplayer then it will take a lot longer from the devs to find out why they wont function. Also toms build is afaik near identical to retail build with all bugs and stuff intact. In addition some of the coming mods/demo releases are designed - atleast partially - for the multiplayer gaming and they will not function at all with retail based builds, like toms.

And 3.6.9 builds and cvs stuff works just nicely in multi... i have played with those.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
1) If there is a bug in 3.6.9 then tell us about it.  Otherwise shut the hell up because we are not going to keep having this conversation.  3.6.9 test builds have been vigorously tested for months to help make sure that it's good for 3.6.9 final.  To my knowledge, it has only 1 remaining problem and that's with subobject animations.  There have been no other bugs reported which haven't been fixed and these builds have been under constant testing by the big mods for their multiplayer use.

2) Tom's build has numerous rather severe bugs in it.  Some of those are actually retail bugs, others are FS2NetD and networking bugs which we have fixed in FSO.  It has been seriously considered to actually block Tom's builds out of FS2NetD just to help prevent problems with the server (since those builds cause higher server CPU and bandwidth usage than FSO builds).  And I already have code to help do that, but it's never been put in use because I don't necessarily think that it's a good idea to block like that.

3) No one, and I mean no one, supports Tom's build except for him and the people that use it.  It is not endoresed or supported by GW or SCP.  In a perfect world, it wouldn't even exist.  That it continues to even work with FS2NetD is simply because I let it.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
 :rolleyes: Is it too much to ask for, I just wanna multi-pilot with the ability to save kills *sob*  :(
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Toms build is the MOST STABLE BUILD availble for multiplayer, and im sorry if you like your game crashing because of the stupid bugs in 3.6.9 every time you try to load the mission and still think your 3.6.9 **** is better

Bollocks is it.

The Beyond the Red Line team have spent the last two months playtesting missions on 3.6.9. I can't recall a single occassion where the mission has crashed. The only thing I've ever seen is someone get dropped a couple of times on mission XFER (and that's something that would happen under Tom's Build too no doubt).

It's this sort of attitude that seriously pisses me off. I've spent months coding and playtesting in order to stabilise multiplayer, Taylor and Goober have commited large amounts of code which stabilise the game over all and people are still acting as if it's unstable without even trying the ****ing build!

If there is a problem with multiplayer on SCP report it on mantis or shut the **** up about there being bugs. Cause I've been playtesting deliberately to find bugs and I'm not finding them.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 04:44:10 am by karajorma »

Offline Speeder

Don't be angry ppl! For example, I do respect the work you put into SCP very much, and imo, there are alot more like me than like ppl who just ***** about something they don't even know! Better just ignore them, try that :P What I WOULD like to see tho, is the main site updated sometimes to help me get the most recent updates without going through the forums to hunt down the latest thingys :)

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Don't be angry ppl! For example, I do respect the work you put into SCP very much, and imo, there are alot more like me than like ppl who just ***** about something they don't even know! Better just ignore them, try that :P

Thing is that this isn't the first time I've had this conversation with DW-Hunter and it's really starting to piss me off. Especially given that the SCP team go out of our way to make sure that we don't cause problems for people using Tom's Build. I'm certain that it would make Taylor and MatthewPapa's life a lot easier if we simply dropped Tom's Build support completely.

What I WOULD like to see tho, is the main site updated sometimes to help me get the most recent updates without going through the forums to hunt down the latest thingys :)

We're in the middle of a transition at the moment. 3.6.9 will bring a whole new way of doing things with it.

Hopefully there will no longer be the need to keep downloading recent builds in order to fix problems caused by new features. In other words you'll download 3.6.9 and baring any major bugs you won't need to download anything until 3.6.10 or 3.7 (Whichever one comes next).

Only campaign developers and early adoptors will ever need to get CVS builds etc so everything can be neatly contained on the single 3.6.9 release thread.

It's the fact that we have to keep upgrading in order to keep up with the code that results in everything being all over the place.

To my knowledge, it has only 1 remaining problem and that's with subobject animations.  There have been no other bugs reported which haven't been fixed and these builds have been under constant testing by the big mods for their multiplayer use.

There are currently 3 multiplayer bugs in Mantis.

1) The subobject animations bug. This one is in FS2 retail and Tom's build.

2) The respawn menu bug. Unless you're playing on a debug build, big deal. You press respawn again and the menu goes away. This only causes a serious problem on debug builds (where it asserts). Seeing as you shouldn't be playing multiplayer with a debug build unless you're actually trying to find bugs it's not really much of a problem.

3) The new SEXPs bug. Most new sexps won't work in multiplayer since until I started working on BtRL no one seemed to care much or understand how to make them work. Given that this only affects missions written for FSO though it's not much of a reason to prefer Tom's build. You couldn't play those missions there either.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 05:31:54 am by karajorma »

Offline Speeder

1st part: Just ignore him, whatever.
2nd part: Yup, I know, that's why I'm not botching about it everywhere :)
3rd part: Well, tsk tsk, fix them! :D

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
*takes cover behind sandbags*

TAKE COVER PEOPLE, !!
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Moved to the SCP forum so kara and taylor can moderate if necessary.

I edited Hoda's post (only to add a disclaimer, I didn't remove anything Hoda said; and I reserve the right to edit it again) because Tom's build is almost completely unsupported, is extremely buggy, is far less compatible than either retail or FSO, is taking troubleshooting effort away from 3.6.9, and is hindering adoption of 3.6.9.  Hoda's post has the potential to mislead people into choosing Tom's build as their primary multiplayer build, and the SCP has a strong interest in preventing that.

I'm certain that it would make Taylor and MatthewPapa's life a lot easier if we simply dropped Tom's Build support completely.

LOL and lose more then 3/4ths of the current multi community? A lot of help that will do......... If you want people to play your ****ing build then convince them its worth playing. I have not once seen you ask someone if they are having problems with it, only your own bug testing, which is a problem because your computer differs with others. I have tried your damn builds, and told you the damn problems kara, and they just dont get fixed... so why should I continue to use this ****y build if it doesnt work?

And if your wondering why i just so happend to pop up, this hoda guy poped into my teamspeak yesterday and we had a discussion about getting his build to work. It didnt want to work, period. So i gave him toms build, which ****ing works every ****ing time.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 10:39:06 am by [DW]-Hunter »