Author Topic: FS2 Multi working instructions as of 9/4/06!!!  (Read 6676 times)

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Re: FS2 Multi working instructions as of 9/4/06!!!
Well, removing the Ship limit IS going to happen for Multiplay at some point, it will allow such things as Inferno multiplay and a lot more flexibility for Modders who want to include Multiplay missions. When that happens, it will, almost without a doubt, break compatability with older builds, at the very least to a degree where the increased traffic caused by older builds would cease to be a small issue.

Oddly enough, one of the best things that could be done at the moment, purely for optimisation and reducing server load would be to remove support for Tom's build....

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
What do you mean is going to happen? :p

Inferno builds already work in multiplayer. Just don't use the same pilot with an inferno and non-inferno build and you'll be fine. The code for that was added several months back.

The big change that will break things is actually the removal of the need for a seperate Inferno build. :D However I intend to take advantage of the fact that we're breaking compatability and change as much as I can while I don't have to worry about compatability :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Hehehe, shows how much Multiplay I do, mainly because I'm embarassingly poor at actually flying any FS2 ships :nervous:

One thing I'd love to do see is more 'play modes', though this is largely down to imaginative Fredding, I remember the discussion we had about 'Comm-node Football' a few years ago or 'Capture the Flag' games, where you had to learn a completely different style of playing the game ;)

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
We aren't actually going to break compatibility though (there is no point, so I'm not going to allow it :)).  The new netcode upgrades I'm working on (as part of the new PXO) will selectively break compatibility based on what features you need.  So if you don't actually need to break limits for ships or weapons then it will still be retail compatible.  If you do need to break limits then the code will automatically adapt to that and change it's level of compatibility to compensate.  The packet code will also be separated into retail compatible, and FSO only sections, to make things easier to add to and work on later, without the worry over breaking retail compatibility.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
On reflection, that's probably the best idea at the very least for the foreseeable future, due to the fact that not everyone who plays FS2 knows about the SCP or can get it to work (though, reporting the bug does help alleviate that problem).

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
Ok, back to the topic. I cannot connect to fs2net is it down?  :(
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Ok, back to the topic. I cannot connect to fs2net is it down?  :(
Yes, it's down.  But it may be moving servers very soon to try and have a more reliable uptime.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
hey taylor... add the toms build blocking code.  I'm sick of this toms build ****.  It's a buggy arse archaic build with inferior support that is causing users not to report bugs to us so we can solve them.  I wrote the fs2netd server software, so technically I get to say what executables get to connect and what ones don't.
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir