Author Topic: A lot of access violation crashes with fs2_open_3_6_11(r/d)-20090526_r5309.exe  (Read 5465 times)

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Re: A lot of access violation crashes with fs2_open_3_6_11(r/d)-20090526_r5309.exe
I can't imagine an extra calculation is that big of a deal in debug just during load.

Depends on what is being calculated. Full CRC enumeration on the VP's for example (as a default without having to run -verify_vps) adds quite a lot.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Re: A lot of access violation crashes with fs2_open_3_6_11(r/d)-20090526_r5309.exe
Well this isn't a big calculation. It is just a few time dereferencing values plus comparing them. That's all.

To get back to topic: Can this please be added to trunc? It will greatly improve the usefulness of the debug build for checking a model's correctness.
Since we've recently started to give all our capital ships mesh shields we could really use this :)

I'm OK with committing this, as long as:
1) Debug code remains in an ifdef _DEBUG or ifndef NDEBUG (i.e. debug builds are for debugging)
2) Someone can confirm that these warnings are not a nuisance with model data outside of that which KK is using
3) Some check to ensure that warnings are only shown once per model - it would be bloody irritating to see 6 warnings per model.

Patch doesn't look too bad.
STRONGTEA. Why can't the x86 be sane?

3) probably needs to be fixed but that will be easy with setting a local bool per model and setting that one to true once a warning has been shown.

On the other hand I'd consider making this an error instead of a warning. This is not something that will simply lead to strange effects in the game, like a missing texture,
but instead will always lead to a crash sooner or later. So a model with faults like this should never be loaded actually.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
I tend to agree that the shield checking code is necessary - just imagine the nightmare of hunting down a CTD issue after the release. I used the model in question in quite a few missions, yet I did not experience any crashes. ;)
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

The checking code has been committed.
I used KKs checking code, but replaced Warning with 'Error'.
STRONGTEA. Why can't the x86 be sane?

Thanks

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
The checking code has been committed.
I used KKs checking code, but replaced Warning with 'Error'.

Thanks a bunch. ;)
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis