Author Topic: W-H-I-Y-L - boom shake-shake shake the-room.  (Read 3033430 times)

Online Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: W-H-I-Y-L It's over 1000!!!!! (pages)
elliptical machine, .

Does that is a whaaaaa?

It's the bastard child of a treadmill and a stair climber.

:yes:

I approve the concept.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

:yes:

[image]

I approve the concept.

Johnny 5 is alive, but you're a walking corpse, mother****er!  (I can't be the only one thinking that, right?)

In other news, I had a job interview last week.  I asked the interviewer how the competition for the position was, and she said that I was the only candidate that the HR department forwarded on for an interview.  If I don't get this one, I'm going to have to do some research to find out what mob boss is desperate enough to operate in Knoxville, is powerful enough to make sure that somebody can't get any kind of work, and why he/she's pissed enough at me to make sure that I'm the one who can't get a job in this town.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
join the mob, its more profitable. just dont get whacked.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline LHN91

I am sitting in my living room, doing updates on a P4 tower I'm setting up for my sister, while copying files from my desktop to my laptop, with my cobbled-together HTPC (with access to 20 gb of music) up on the rear projection TV I found last summer.

Instead of having any one of the computers running all around me play music, I am playing Gowan's Strange Animal LP on the turntable.

... Methinks I'm a bit odd.

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I am sitting in my living room, doing updates on a P4 tower I'm setting up for my sister, while copying files from my desktop to my laptop, with my cobbled-together HTPC (with access to 20 gb of music) up on the rear projection TV I found last summer.

Instead of having any one of the computers running all around me play music, I am playing Gowan's Strange Animal LP on the turntable.

Supposedly, the old vinyl's have higher fidelity than any digital formats.
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline LHN91

That's -somewhat- true, with a very expensive turntable, that has been perfectly balanced and tuned, with a mint-condition LP and no ambient noise in the room the player is in. None of which I have, my turntable being a mid-range mid-80's Akai with a $50 needle that doesn't really match the player, and my copy of Strange Animal having been played over and over by my mother as I was growing up.

There is a bit of a subjective naturalness to vinyl, however, brought on by the inherent imperfections and the fact that the needle by necessity picks up on ambient noise, often making vinyl sound more spacious and giving it the impression of greater detail and soundstage, despite it likely being a product of imperfection rather than improved fidelity.

I was more commenting on the elements of logical backwardness of being surrounded by large collections of music in easy to access digital formats and yet still bothering to maintain a turntable, flip a record and retain the space for the whole setup in my fairly tiny apartment.

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Ah, that's where nostalgia comes into play. :)
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline LHN91

On a related note, you know what's damn near impossible to find? Gowan's initial, self-titled album, with Kim Mitchell playing guitar. And if Amazon is to be believed, my copy of his Lost Brotherhood CD is worth in the neighborhood of 20 dollars. Which featured Rush's Alex Lifeson.

And one of the guys from Yes sang backing vocals on one of the singles from his 3rd album.

And apparently Akon sampled Criminal Mind in some song of his.

The things you discover when nostalgia convinces you to browse the interwebs.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me

That's -somewhat- true, with a very expensive turntable, that has been perfectly balanced and tuned, with a mint-condition LP and no ambient noise in the room the player is in. None of which I have, my turntable being a mid-range mid-80's Akai with a $50 needle that doesn't really match the player, and my copy of Strange Animal having been played over and over by my mother as I was growing up.

There is a bit of a subjective naturalness to vinyl, however, brought on by the inherent imperfections and the fact that the needle by necessity picks up on ambient noise, often making vinyl sound more spacious and giving it the impression of greater detail and soundstage, despite it likely being a product of imperfection rather than improved fidelity.

I was more commenting on the elements of logical backwardness of being surrounded by large collections of music in easy to access digital formats and yet still bothering to maintain a turntable, flip a record and retain the space for the whole setup in my fairly tiny apartment.

i got a turn table at a thrift store. right now its in my closet with an old willie nelson album on it. someone stole my johnny cash album that i stole from grandma. anyway i got this thing connected rather hackishly through a couple opamps to pre-amp the signal and the outputs get fed to a set of ipod speakers. it sounds ok but not great, considering audio amplifiers aren't really my specialty. without the pre-amp you would need to turn the speakers up all the way to hear anything.

anyway i once discussed the concept of an analog optical format with an old electrical engineer (who claims that he invented dsp). instead of having a bunch of uniformly sized pits and flat spots represent ones and zeros, the spot diameter at any point along the track would modulate to an analog signal. we really couldnt come up with any reason why it wouldnt work, provided it was possible to modulate the burning laser's power output and lens focus to allow the burning of various spot sizes. where a simple phototransistor would read the reflected light intensity producing an analog signal that can be fed into an amplifier. there was some question about capacity however. it would get around the problem of media wear and degradation that has plagued analog formats from day one.

I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
i got a turn table at a thrift store. right now its in my closet with an old willie nelson album on it. someone stole my johnny cash album that i stole from grandma. anyway i got this thing connected rather hackishly through a couple opamps to pre-amp the signal and the outputs get fed to a set of ipod speakers. it sounds ok but not great, considering audio amplifiers aren't really my specialty. without the pre-amp you would need to turn the speakers up all the way to hear anything.

Op-amps have a good bandwidth for being used as a pre-amp to the speakers, to get better performance out of them you could stick a first-order LPF set at 20KHz (or so) on the input of the pre-amp to reduce static. If you want to get finiky about it, you'd have to double check the spec's of the speaker to see it's input voltage and current ranges (and input impedance) and then modify your pre-amp so that it fills this range as comfortable as possible.

anyway i once discussed the concept of an analog optical format with an old electrical engineer (who claims that he invented dsp). instead of having a bunch of uniformly sized pits and flat spots represent ones and zeros, the spot diameter at any point along the track would modulate to an analog signal. we really couldnt come up with any reason why it wouldnt work, provided it was possible to modulate the burning laser's power output and lens focus to allow the burning of various spot sizes. where a simple phototransistor would read the reflected light intensity producing an analog signal that can be fed into an amplifier. there was some question about capacity however. it would get around the problem of media wear and degradation that has plagued analog formats from day one.

The capacity of said analog format would depend on the quality of the burner's focus adjustment servo, as well as the quality of the phototransitor and SNR capabilities of the decoder circuitry. The servo would have to be a direct drive in order to eliminate gear back-lash issues, but they have some pretty tiny motors now days, so it's totally doable. Position sensing of the servo (for position control) could be done with an optical wheel encoder or (better yet) a hall-effect sensor.
chief1983

------------

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft

Diamond needles, the only way to go
Finding them on the other hand these days...

Also, the spoils from a hard days work

No, I did not steal from a four year old's birthday party
"No"

Of course you didn't.

That's obviously five-year-old birthday party stuff. :p
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
My cellphone finally got its ICS update.
I'm bidding on a pair of WD Black 2TB drives and a single WD Black 1TB drive.
I have a job interview next week. :)
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Online Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
SONY is gradually rolling ICS out for my Xperia S, they just haven't managed to get around to the T-Mobile variant yet :mad:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
SONY is gradually rolling ICS out for my Xperia S, they just haven't managed to get around to the T-Mobile variant yet :mad:
Samsung has had ICS for my Galaxy S2 (E4GT)--Sprint rolled out the source a day or two ago and made the update available today. It didn't take too long, but most of today I've been "playing" with my phone. I reskinned it with Apex and customized the UI. It's pretty cool overall. Too bad I probably won't get official 4.1/JB.

Otherwise, my cheap TV tuner arrived and seems to be functional. It's a Hauppauge HVR-1800 built for an OEM, so it's only got a digital and an analog tuner. No FM tuner (which I am slightly disappointed about) though.

I also won the auction for the 2TB drives (two WD2001FASS-00W2B0) and a 1TB drive (WD1001FALS-00J7B0). I have an identical 1TB drive already--so I'll back that up and put the two in a RAID0. Now my conundrum is whether to put the two Black 2TB drives in their own RAID1 array or whether to stick them in a mismatched RAID5 with my current pair of Samsung F4EG 2TB (HD204UI) drives. I'm definitely leaning towards the RAID5 for the additional capacity.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 05:40:39 pm by Bob-san »

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
Why, oh why, do girls dig drunken guys with drugs? Because I just got two french girls nabbed from me by my best friend who met both those criteria.  :banghead:
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
get your won drugs and beer?

also these girls were prolly parasites anyway willing to do just about anything to have a good time free of charge.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft

Nah, too much effort and expense for just a kiss and some boobage. They leave early tomorrow.
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool

also these girls were prolly parasites anyway willing to do just about anything to have a good time free of charge.
IE: You can have a good time too. Just remember kiddies, drugs are bad.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
I got inverse kinematics sorta working! Yay!