Author Topic: Let's Play: The Temple of Elemental Evil!  (Read 69808 times)

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
Re: Let's Play: The Temple of Elemental Evil! Now with 100% more Dungeon Masters.
Hey, killing rats takes finesse and accuracy!
Or an inordinate amount of ordinance.
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Re: Let's Play: The Temple of Elemental Evil! Now with 100% more Dungeon Masters.
Especially with Lessiah firing at it.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Take solace in the fact that whatever you do, you'll never derp out as hard (yet as hilariously awesome) as my Deathwatch group did.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

That sounds like a story that needs to be told.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I gave them a Great Unclean One to kill.

And a Thunderhawk to do it with.

Rather than go "I have a turbolaser destructor now, and you have no ranged attacks worthy of the name" they rammed the Great Unclean One with the Thunderhawk.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

****.  I actually started laughing when I read that.

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
  • VI OR DEATH! DOWN WITH EMACS!
Hey, killing rats takes finesse and accuracy!

Or so thog hear. thog not see nobody use finesse or accuracy.
Error: ls.rnd.sig.txt not found

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I started playing this game a week after this LP started... I'm already at the second level of the ToEE.... You guys are slow :P

@NGTM-1R
That's one epic Deathwatch session. Wish I was there to play with you.

That an endless spawn of rats there. Good for XP farming.
If I wanted to XP farm, I would of installed the version of the Circle of Eight mod that does include the user-made content, including respawning moathouse bandits.  Tad more exciting then just rats, plus you get coin from sale of loot as well.

Not that xp farming is really required, mind you.

Trust me, you WANT to be higher level.
The bandits inside the mouthouse?
Farm some XP, get to lvl 2 before you go further. The latter opponents are even more challenging.

Total party wipe is common in this game unless well prepared (and high enough level)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 03:16:36 am by TrashMan »
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
Trust me, you WANT to be higher level.
The bandits inside the mouthouse?
Farm some XP, get to lvl 2 before you go further. The latter opponents are even more challenging.

Total party wipe is common in this game unless well prepared (and high enough level)

If I was doing a normal playthrough, then yes, I would probably resort to grinding.

But this is a let's play, not a normal playthrough.  A total party wipe seems like fun to me.

Besides, the HLPers made the decision to go into the moathouse this early, not me  :P

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
If I was doing a normal playthrough, then yes, I would probably resort to grinding.

But this is a let's play, not a normal playthrough.  A total party wipe seems like fun to me.

Besides, the HLPers made the decision to go into the moathouse this early, not me  :P

On a unrelated note, I updateed my portrait pack.

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
Booze:  The solution to whatever ails you (pun not intended)

After expending most of the cleric’s spells, the party is all set to fight again.

Lessiah takes a closer look at the room.  There indeed seems to be nothing of value or interest.

Ignoring the monster rats, the party descends deeper into the moathouse.

A pair of zombies can be seen eating some dead guy.  Lester decides to start the fight out with his last remaining magic missile.

Luna tosses a sling bullet.  As it turns out, breaking bones does not do much to the zombie.

At this stage of the game, I can’t hope to negate the damage resistance with sheer amount of damage, nor do I have a machine gun with me.  So, I will have to rely on the party members who do have slashing weapons.

Lyndus realizes that her throwing daggers could be used in a slashing manner and as a melee weapon.

A huge blob of ooze drops from the ceiling and ambushes Lester from behind.

Oh, yay.  Another slime.  Just what I need right now.

Lester decides to use the only item that gives him a chance at survival.  His unidentified potion.

As I predicted, it was, in fact, a Potion of Light Wounds.  (note for the future:  Read Magic cantrips identify potions for free the same as scrolls)

Luna and Thog fight off the second slime together.

Meanwhile, the rest of the party gets a short break from the zombie hoards.  Slab rushes to help Luna and Thog out.

The other slime doesn’t go down so easily.

One of the zombies is consumed in a pillar of light as the dwarven barbarian smashes it with an axe.

The party continues to fight off the ravenous hoards, but not without incident.  As a side note, the party is now officially out of healing spells again.

Victory!  We have victory!

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
HAHA! take that you undead walker! BEGONE!

*zombie dies, AGAIN*

*rustle rustle*

huh? when did he bit me there?

*casts heal light wounds*

ahh, better.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
The party dispatches a straggler.

Lyndus manages to locate a secret door.

The secret door leads to trouble – of the sort that the party is just not prepared to deal with right now.

Discretion is the better part of valor, and the group decides that they want to live so that they can fight another day.

The party returns to the relative safety of the moathouse tower.

Lester sets to work identifying the scrolls he found.  They turn out to be a protection from evil scroll, a ray of enfeeblement scroll, and a charm animal scroll.

Unfortunately, Ray of Enfeeblement happens to belong to one of Lester’s prohibited spell scrolls.

Charm Animal, meanwhile, isn’t even a wizard spell.  It’s a druid spell.

Protection from Evil is the only spell in there that Lester can learn.  However, the party clerics can cast it as well, and Rodd even has it as a domain spell that he has prepared separate from his normal spell list.

With that done, the party rests once again before they decide among themselves what to do next.

Thoughts on the party so far:

Elladan has proven to be the most valuable party member by far, scoring consistent damaging hits with his greatsword.

Thog has proven to be the least useful.  The frontline tends to be too crowded for him to do anything, first level bards hardly have any spells at all, his low INT limits what would otherwise be a nice skill selection, and I derped out at the character creation screen and forgot to give him ranks in the perform skill.  Thog should improve greatly in a couple of levels.

First level spellcasters suck in general.  A level 1 wizard in particular is just about the weakest RPG character you will ever play.

Spellcasters start to come into their own at level 5, and by level 10 they will have completely supressed the fighters in terms of power.

Frontline is proving to be a crowded place, and firing missile weapons into melee carries a rater substantial penalty.  The Precise Shot feat negates this penalty, however it also requires a general focus on archery in order to get it.  If I do a second playthrough, I am definitely bringing along an elven archer or halfling warsling sniper or somesuch along.

Luna has proven to be reasonably competent when forced into melee, much moreso then I would of expected.

Having a party of 8 as opposed to a party of 5 really cuts into XP.  It's also going to cut into equipment quality, as I will have more adventurers to equip.

Thankfully, despite the game's best efforts, no one has died yet and the party is still in good condition overall.

Elladan:
The rest of the evil in here can wait.  We've snagged a fair amount of useless loot to sell so let's head back to town and foist it upon a shopkeeper foolish enough to have a low Appraise.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
*rodd is outvoted and then forced to retreat

can't believe this...all cowards... all cowards
el hombre vicio...

Elladan:
Sure, the DM says my character is Neutral Good.  But I'm actually Chaotic Good, which means I kill evil and then take their money to disburse among the merchant class of towns in exchange for items which let me kill even more evil, and I spend coin in taverns along the way for ale and women of negotiable morals.  I'm not a Lawful Stupid crusader who'll die alone and unmourned to an army of undead.  I intend to die in bed at a ripe old age, with a bellyful of wine in me and a woman's mouth around my cock.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Keep in mind that a lot of the fights are in corridors and hte front lines can get crowded.

I learned to vlue weapons like hte longspear and glaive, which give a fighter a far longer reach, so they can hit opponents from the second row.
Cast Enlage Person on such a fighter, place him in the center of the room and he can attack anyone. His threat range is so high he can block anyone.

Damn usefull. Give him cleave + greater cleave and improved reflexes, specilize him in the glaive and that fighter turns into a death-dealing monster, dealing Attack of Opportunity and Cleave like a Grimm Repaer from Hell.

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
Keep in mind that a lot of the fights are in corridors and hte front lines can get crowded.

I learned to vlue weapons like hte longspear and glaive, which give a fighter a far longer reach, so they can hit opponents from the second row.
Cast Enlage Person on such a fighter, place him in the center of the room and he can attack anyone. His threat range is so high he can block anyone.

Damn usefull. Give him cleave + greater cleave and improved reflexes, specilize him in the glaive and that fighter turns into a death-dealing monster, dealing Attack of Opportunity and Cleave like a Grimm Repaer from Hell.

Indeed, during my first playthrough, I had the entire party carry reach weapons.  But again, the weapon pick was more or less the party's choice this time.  Seeing how the party wizard has given up transmutation, and how polearm users are usually calm and collected (unlike much of my party)...

Reach weapons are entirely OP here, as they don't give a penalty for fighting close-up like they should.

As for Great Cleave, my experience with it has failed to impress me.  If you are at the point where you are Great Cleaving multiple enemies, then you are at the point where you can defeat them just as easily with normal cleave and normal attacks, and you might thus be better off taking a different feat in its place.  I would not consider Great Cleave as a choice unless the campaign was set up in such a way as to make it more useful (or if I needed it for epic-level feats).

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
  • VI OR DEATH! DOWN WITH EMACS!
Thog has proven to be the least useful.  The frontline tends to be too crowded for him to do anything, first level bards hardly have any spells at all, his low INT limits what would otherwise be a nice skill selection, and I derped out at the character creation screen and forgot to give him ranks in the perform skill.  Thog should improve greatly in a couple of levels.

Thog good drummer, but Thog spending some time dead for tax reasons. When Thog done with this adventure Thog go back to drumming for Disaster Area. Thog LOUDEST drummer in world!

I'm not a Lawful Stupid crusader who'll die alone and unmourned to an army of undead.  I intend to die in bed at a ripe old age, with a bellyful of wine in me and a woman's mouth around my cock.
Thog say, "Hello, half-man."
Error: ls.rnd.sig.txt not found

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR

Indeed, during my first playthrough, I had the entire party carry reach weapons.  But again, the weapon pick was more or less the party's choice this time.  Seeing how the party wizard has given up transmutation, and how polearm users are usually calm and collected (unlike much of my party)...

Reach weapons are entirely OP here, as they don't give a penalty for fighting close-up like they should.

As for Great Cleave, my experience with it has failed to impress me.  If you are at the point where you are Great Cleaving multiple enemies, then you are at the point where you can defeat them just as easily with normal cleave and normal attacks, and you might thus be better off taking a different feat in its place.  I would not consider Great Cleave as a choice unless the campaign was set up in such a way as to make it more useful (or if I needed it for epic-level feats).

Normally you'd be right. To make Great Cleave usefull you have to construct a situation for it. I generally tend to use the rest of my party to wound (not kill) as many as a I can, then my max-buffed glaive fighter steps in, killing scores in one turn.
Normally it wouldn't be my first pick, but Co8 increase the level cap so a fighter will have lots of feats anyway.