Author Topic: Sound gone after 10-15 minutes of playing  (Read 1657 times)

Offline AlexxSo

Sound gone after 10-15 minutes of playing
Hi guys,

i don't know why, but after playing the game for about 10 - 15 minutes, every time my sound crashes. Up to that point everything works fine, but then suddenly there is no sound anymore. I have to close the game and start it again and then the sound is working again, before ultimately crashing again.. It is kinda frustrating. What could possibly be the problem? I checked the troubleshooting FAQ, but it doesn't seem to help.

I'm using the Steam version of the game with Windows 10. Attached you will find my fs2_open.log

I would really much appreciate if someone is able to help me out!

Thanks a lot :)

[attachment deleted by nobody]

Offline m!m

Re: Sound gone after 10-15 minutes of playing
There is this in your log which indicates that there was some kind of error in the sound code:
Code: [Select]
SOUND: c:\code\fs2_open_3_7_2\code\sound\ds.cpp:1268 - OpenAL error = 'Invalid Operation'
There have been a few changes to the sound code in the last few months which may have changed something, can you try a nightly build and test if the same bug happens again?

Offline AlexxSo

There is this in your log which indicates that there was some kind of error in the sound code:
Code: [Select]
SOUND: c:\code\fs2_open_3_7_2\code\sound\ds.cpp:1268 - OpenAL error = 'Invalid Operation'
There have been a few changes to the sound code in the last few months which may have changed something, can you try a nightly build and test if the same bug happens again?

I tried that. I was not able to retrieve a logfile because with the DEBUG the game crashed completely. So, I ran the game with the nighty build, but after a few minutes, the same thing happened. I think I will try uninstalling everything, and then trying it again. Maybe I made a mistake during the installation?

Thanks for the help m8!

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
I tried that. I was not able to retrieve a logfile because with the DEBUG the game crashed completely. So, I ran the game with the nighty build, but after a few minutes, the same thing happened. I think I will try uninstalling everything, and then trying it again. Maybe I made a mistake during the installation?

Hmm, odd that it crashed completely, may have nothing to do with the new soudn code though. if you aren't using OpenAL Soft (and I'm guessing you're not), the game should work the same soundwise as it did before.

Maybe something went wrong installing the Creative OpenAL ddriver? Doesn't the installer automatically install it or something?

What kind of sound device do you have? Is it an onboard chip (that is, on the motherboard), or do you have a separate sound card?

EDIT: Is it confirmed that the Creative OpenAL driver is even compatible with Windows 10? I guess that if you can play for at least a few minutes, then presumably it is?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 02:07:20 am by jg18 »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I'd reinstall the sound drivers first and foremost, then try again.  Also, maybe do a search for the openal dlls to be sure that some didn't get left behind or something (say, the onboard audio used an older version, and your card uses a newer version = possible conflict?  Dunno but check).

Wondering if it's similar to:

"OpenAL32.dll not found."
Install OpenAL.
If no success, remove ct_oal.dll and nvopenal.dll from \Windows\System32\ and install OpenAL.
If still no success, remove OpenAL32.dll and wrap_oal.dll from \Windows\System32\ and install OpenAL.
If the problem still persists, check that none of the mentioned .dll files are in your \freespace2\ directory. ShivanSPS's SCP Upgrade Pack, for example, places an old OpenAL32.dll to your \freespace2\ directory and that will prevent the game from running.

Offline AlexxSo

So I kind of found the problem. It has nothing to do with the game itself, but rather with the OS. I am using a laptop with Windows 10 and sometimes when putting the laptop in sleep mode/hibernation/standby (I'm not sure which one as I'm trying to translate from German. I'm taking about the mode when you just close the laptop), the taskbar does not really work (start button does not react etc). Seems like some kind of bug. Not sure. Anyways, I have to restart the laptop completely in order to work again. When I had these sound problems it was after I had put the laptop in this mode and I'm sure this is also the reason the sound didn't work. Now, after restarting properly everything works fine, game is awesome! Yay.

Thank you very much for the quick help!

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
That sounds like a driver issue, do see if you can get any updates for those and run Windows Update (as this checks for drivers as well if it's supported by the manufacturer, I know my touchpad (Synaptics) offers driver updates through Windows Update for 10).

As well check for any BIOS updates on the manufacturer website as occasionally a new OS can cause issues with the way BIOS has things set up.

If you upgraded, perhaps try backing up and doing a clean install as it's -- well, cleaner.  Lots of issues may disappear & the system will most likely run faster on a clean install rather than an upgrade (once you've activated on the upgrade, your license key is backed up at MS, so you should be ok there).