Author Topic: Using multiple gaming platforms for a Freespace campaign.  (Read 4541 times)

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Re: Using multiple gaming platforms for a Freespace campaign.
However, I see your point: you can't make a campaign out of that, at least with pilots.

Pilots are still soldiers of another nature. Just take a look at BSG
Most of the pilots on that show have set foot on solid ground and shot toasters to hell.

Although you could. Imagine if the pilot was captured after having been shot down, or were to land in the hangar bay of the enemy (pilot of a troop transport or something)

Still, I'd love to see ground combat in FreeSpace lore. It existed, but only as that one cutscene
"No"

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Also fighter pilots don't participate in infantry combat. They just don't. Ever. That's not their job.
Ever? Nope. A pilot shot down over enemy territory, if not captured immediately, can and, in most cases, will fight to get rescued by his own side. A pilot on a ship being boarded would also have to grab a gun and be prepared to repel the boarders. It's not their job, sure. But they're trained for it and expected to do it if the need arises. Especially Marine pilots.

I don't think that'd be a good idea to include that in a campaign though. A gimmick mission, sure. Take on Helicopters had a sequence just like that, you crashed and had to fight your way to the rescue helo. This was fun, but short and entirely optional. Basing the campaign around this would require a lot of generally rare events (or an alternate approach, a pirate or a merc could conceivably do both flying and boarding/ground combat), not to mention would essentially combine two radically different genres into one, which might not sit well with some people. Also, FSO is ill suited for that sort of thing. If somebody made an FS mod for ArmA II (or even III), which has an engine designed for combined arms simulation, then it could potentially work.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
A pilot having to fight his way out of a crash is one thing.

Sending a group of pilots on a foot patrol is quite another.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Why does it have to be the same character in the infantry as in the pilot seat? Expand your mind dude. Just think... A campaign that follows... DUN DUN DUN... Multiple characters!
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yup. The only way to do this thing right would be to have multiple protagonists playing part in a greater narrative.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

A mission where a pilot must reach the hangar bay of a wrecked ship (challenges include, but are not limited to, dodging beams that happen to penetrate the outer walls, puzzles in navigating the ship, Black Mesa style) wouldn't really require anything but the space suit, corridors and events set to trigger when the pilot flies into certain areas.

All that and maybe a timer until the ship blows up so the player can't really take their time and try out each and every dead end looking for the proper path.

I also noticed some time ago that landing and taxiing is supported (while looking through info on one of the .tbl files- ships.tbl to be specific), so there probably is the ability to build some tanks and walking people to make a ground war.
Animating walking infantry would take some creativity though.
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

Offline Apollo

• Free Market Fascist
Tanks would be easy--you'd just have to position them slightly above the ground and give them such slow banking as to make it effectively nonexistent. Climbing hills would be another matter.
Current Project - Eos: The Coward's Blade. Coming Soon (hopefully.)

Offline Lorric

I'm not in favour of this kind of thing, sure it could have potential to be a great thing, but I think it would just be overly complex having to switch between programs, and would cut people out who didn't like other genre/s used. If someone wanted to do it though, good luck to them.

The other program would have to be free, or it would drastically slash the player base.

And finally, I think two or more protagonists would have to be used. I suppose you could set it up so that the player is the greatest man on the planet and can do anything, but ideally, you'd want more than one person. Ace lands his ship on the enemy ship, and then Sgt. Rock jumps out to kick some ass.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I seem to remember something about an "FPS mode" being added to the codebase, but I have absolutely no idea what that was for or what it entailed.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
I think that if an "FPS mode" is ever added to FreeSpace, an MMU pack mode with 6DoF controls and zero gravity spacesuit combat would be much, much more interesting and keeping in the spirit of FreeSpace than a conventional FPS. The FPS market is completely saturated but AFAIK MMU pack spacesuit combat in zero-G is a pretty novel premise.

Not to mention you could reuse physics and other code from the main engine and make it interoperable with existing assets--like a segment where you could, say, take down a Shivan or NTF fighter using just your MMU pack, suit-mounted weapons, and your wits.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I think that if an "FPS mode" is ever added to FreeSpace, an MMU pack mode with 6DoF controls and zero gravity spacesuit combat would be much, much more interesting and keeping in the spirit of FreeSpace than a conventional FPS. The FPS market is completely saturated but AFAIK MMU pack spacesuit combat in zero-G is a pretty novel premise.

Not to mention you could reuse physics and other code from the main engine and make it interoperable with existing assets--like a segment where you could, say, take down a Shivan or NTF fighter using just your MMU pack, suit-mounted weapons, and your wits.

Vassago's Dirge bro

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
 We need some HD space suits though, the current one is... bad. I don't know how else to say it. With the GIGANTIC missile launchers pasted to it, it looks pretty bad. The no MLauncher variant looks good though.

*Adds Space Suit to the list.*

Would it be wise to have a different models for suits? Say GTVA Standard, Military, Command, Technitian, etc?

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Proper AI behavior for negotiating interiors / interaction with large objects is by far my greatest desire for FSO. It's such a great engine, but watching fighters just crash into stuff over and over again is embarrassing and really breaks immersion.  I know it's been brought up many times, but Descent mode (or something like that) would be such a huge step forward.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Both myself and others have toyed with coming up with some type of Descent mod, but the AI would definitely destroy any chance at singleplayer.  Which isn't necessarily bad, since the Descent modding community was generally more multiplayer-focused anyway.

Yeah, I've been toying with the concept recently. Giving the AI 100% strafe attack value works OK until it bumps into a wall. :s
*Adds "toy with the AI code" to the gigantic TODO list of doom*

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Proper AI behavior for negotiating interiors / interaction with large objects is by far my greatest desire for FSO. It's such a great engine, but watching fighters just crash into stuff over and over again is embarrassing and really breaks immersion.  I know it's been brought up many times, but Descent mode (or something like that) would be such a huge step forward.
Better collision avoidance and interior navigation would be a great addition to the engine. Right now, it can get stuck in things like Raynor's midsection and never make it out. It's not even that enclosed. I don't think it should be a separate mode, but rather an optional addition to AIProfiles.

A pilot having to fight his way out of a crash is one thing.

Sending a group of pilots on a foot patrol is quite another.
Was anybody suggesting that anywhere in the thread? Besides, I could think of a scenario where it would happen, though obviously not in a regular military. For instance, a guerilla-style force, similar to Rebel Alliance from SW (in fact, I can see it working well with FoTG, should something like this be implemented). Or a pirate or mercenary group that doesn't have enough men to have dedicated pilots. There are plenty of scenarios in which a character could double as both pilot and infantryman, you just have to get creative.

Is there any way to change collision behavior so that instead of "crashing" into a large object, you just sort of "slide" along it like in Descent? Could this be added to the code, or scripted in somehow? That would be a big step toward Descent-stlye playing, with the other half being just the AI, which you could get around by using only stationary things or positioning ships so that they have space to move around in and stay in the space.

Offline Lorric

All this talk about ships crashing into things makes me think of G-Police. That had you flying in a cityscape, and the AI flew smoothly between the skyscrapers. Though could still crash into them, but usually didn't. It was easier to fight a battle in an open space than weaving between the skyscrapers. I don't know if this will be of any value, but I'm just putting it out there, I was always impressed with it, because the ships clearly aren't flying on rails or anything like that when going through the skyscrapers. I was just wondering, whether anyone would benefit from looking at it, or for all I know breaking the game open and getting at it's AI. Just putting it out there.