Author Topic: Sol: Exodus - Has anyone seen this!?  (Read 12206 times)

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Re: Sol: Exodus - Has anyone seen this!?
I can think of the lagrange point misunderstanding and whoever it was whos hyperspace concept fit the description of LDS, but in this case there's no way I couldn't, I almost thought it was an exact knockoff from the game until I heard it a few more times.

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin
I'm glad that the genre isn't dead, but I have to say I'm not too terribly impressed by the trailers. Our beloved FSO already looks at least that good, if not much better, thanks to the efforts of the incredible talent at work in this community.

The plot sounds a bit like the B-grade sci-fi movie Sunshine. Sun is dying, people panic, crazy people think it's our time to die, blah blah blah. That being said, I won't dismiss it entirely. It's kind of difficult to make innovative sci-fi these days. I'm actually impressed they went human vs. human and resisted the urge to include aliens - personally, I prefer the interesting psychological facets of a human civil war.

At the very least, if the developers price it reasonably I'll probably buy it just to throw my vote in for "make more space sims please." If other companies see that there's still money in them, we might get some indie attention. Maybe not the AAA studios, but with all the dross that's been dribbling out of them lately, maybe that's a good thing.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I almost thought the impact sound was the shield impact from Independence War, then I noticed it was slightly different.
Don't you think everything is from Independence War, though? :P

I-War's cool :C
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
Based on the Diary.... sounds boring and fit for a cheap XBLA title....

Fly around and shoot stuff!

Ok what else is there to do?

What you mean there should be more... Why?

*sigh* This is partially why space sims fell behind and are not making a comeback in the retail space,
so little to offer in the way of current modes or new features.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I just get the feeling that this is going to be another 'Dungeons'. A supposed rebirth of a classic, but through trying to be 'different' actually becoming less diverse than the original game.

I'll keep my final opinion till it comes out though, there's nothing wrong with shooter-only games as such, but it depends how good a job it does at holding the players interest. Take something like DarkStar One, or the abysmal Rogue Universe, both of them centralised on the shooty-bits, but had the grab factor of a wet haddock :(

Edit: Let's put it this way, Rogue Universe actually managed to turn First-Person space-combat into grinding, you don't always need trading or mining to make a game seem like it has repetitive, uninspired content.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 03:06:48 pm by Flipside »

Offline kisumu

A supposed rebirth of a classic, but through trying to be 'different' actually becoming less diverse than the original game

Very good point. The lead has said (can't remember where) that he knows the limitations of a 5-man team and hopes that this game might be a springboard to a larger development crew / proper publisher and therefore a deeper experience. I think it looks pretty decent so far for a small, self-published affair - maybe if it's a commercial success we'll see something a bit more innovative down the line rather than just a re-boot (read re-hash) of a genre. It seems like a bit of a tribute piece at the minute.

Offline Enzo03

I know I've heard it somewhere

Is it from Freelancer? I can't quite place it but it was familiar
My guess is very close to yours.  It sounds similar to one of the guns from Starlancer to me.
21:20:19   SpardaSon21: "hey baby, want to get a good look at my AC/20?
21:20:26   Spoon: I'd hit it like the fist of steiner

Some people are like Slinkies.  They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.

Offline ShivanSpS

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
That looks miserably dull. It also seems completely non-innovative.

:blah:
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
and all the FringeSpace people said... Amen!
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
I love the fact they're trying to bring back the genre
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to hold all that much promise. This perhaps is a good thing, because it leaves a big opportunity to blow us out of the water
"No"

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
look like a fairly casual space-shoot, don't see wing command interface, or power management.

Would consider buying if it had pimpin cockpit instead of low FoV and just the HUD, because as-is, it's FS2, but without a bunch of cool stuff.

I'd rather they go for "ace combat IN SPACE!"

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
well, there you go... 6 in the development team.

IMO it's a fairly good game considering that alone, but nowhere near to any of the expectations of the people waiting for a space combat game.
el hombre vicio...

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
We've been spoiled tis all
"No"

Offline ShivanSpS

Well, the space shooter genere its about to rebirth, not because of this game, alone, that ist looking that great. Its because Lucasarts is hiring engeniers with experience in space shooter games....

Lets see what happens.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I just want to throw this out there:

Space ships are generally always going pretty fast, esle they're falling into some sort of gravity well, or there's some other odd condition letting them be slow. For some reason, well, an obvious reason, in space shooters, they tend to be miserably slow. The thing is, it doesn't have to be that way. Air combat sims, modern ones, are not at all slow, yet are not dull. In fact, they're pretty darn tense! That's from a combination of speed, complex systems, and often a really imposing threat environment.

The thing is, Falcon 4.0 doesn't appeal to everyone, due to that complexity. But just because it's not complex doesn't mean it can't be tense and fast! Somehow, I think the majority of space combat sims/arcade sims/shooters, or whatever else you'll lable them, just couldn''t manage to figure that out. I've not been too attentive to my respective charges as of late with FSO, but I will tell you that said charges have a good mind to figure the above issue out to good effect!

What I'm seeing with the game in question so far, however, is just a generic, slow, and even dumbed-down looking game. If you remove all the complexity, you get rid of the sense of flying a space ship, or a flying machine in general. Too much, and it can become a chore to play. Genras have a certain requirement for their operation, I feel, and part of flying a space ship is feeling like, well, you're flying a space ship. From the videos given prior, I didn't have that feeling.

Now, when was Infinity supposed to be done...
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Lets see what happens.

I'm hoping they're working on rolling out the X-Wing games for a modern OS, but...
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Mikes

Sol:Exodus is now on Steam.... mhhh and here http://www.destructoid.com/preview-sol-exodus-215674.phtml they talk about hacking minigames and stuff...

... well only thing that's sure is that it's either gonna be great or crap :P :)

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
You know, it still looks terribad. I'm thinking this... is not going to do well.

That said, I think if there is one with promise, it's Naumachia, which last time I checked wasn't moving very far forward.

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke