Author Topic: HTL Colossus  (Read 21194 times)

Wow, I defiantly like what you did to the engines for the Colossus. I am really curious for what you are going to do for the rest of the ship.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellem
         "If you wish for peace, prepare for war."

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
That's almost a little too detailed. :p  Nice work, though.  My personal preference would be for something that doesn't deviate too much from the Colossus's original design; I'm one of the few people around here that seems to like the Big C. :p I'm not sure if making any major modifications to the turret layout would be a good idea, at least in the realm of the beam turrets, since a few of the main campaign missions rely on their placement.  Regardless, that thing is amazing looking; I can't wait to see how the whole thing turns out. :)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Originally posted by Mongoose
...I'm one of the few people around here that seems to like the Big C. :p ....

I am also a Big C*-fan. ;)

*C, not Cube, but Colossus!
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Raptor

...oh...my...
:jaw:
You've been takening lessons from IPAndrews, haven't you?

With THAT level of detail, I'd be suprised if you can get it ingame without any slowdown.

But good luck.

BTW: I too like the big C.  Though it should have it's full armerment of 84 turrets (it only has 63).
...There ought to be something surreal about a Zoid offering romantic advice...and yet there is not. It seems perfectly normal that the Liger is giving Bit advice on relationships, and it shouldn't, but it does. Dangit man, you've confused me again.[/I]
NGTM-R review of one of the chapters in my fanfic story :D Story is here! -> 'Ancient Legacies'

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
cool have fun uv-ing that beast.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
OMFG !! I thougt it was a new spacecraft. And after all, it is THE HTL colossus...

Tz, there is no need to cut the polies down, just make two versions, one detailed high-poly version for ingame purpose and an uberdetailled extreme-high poly model for use in renders and cutscenes.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
NAh. Make all of the greebling untargettable subsystems and use Bobbaou's new code to make the greebling only show up when you're ~1500 meters from it, or something. :nid:
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Simply drop this amount of greebling. It is not worth it.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Or you could listen to Bob and Raa who actually know what they are talking about.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Originally posted by karajorma
Or you could listen to Bob and Raa who actually know what they are talking about.

Nah.

;)
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Originally posted by karajorma

I think this post is pointed at me. ;)

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
I was out these days so I can reply only now...
about pcount....
when I started I was aiming for 12-15k tris, but I soon realized that I was going well over that limit:p
The actual pcount of the engines is iirc 7300/7500 triangles, so I evaluate that the final pcount will be between 17k and 20k triangles, without turretts.
That's high but not THAT high.
Also, I'll make an high poly lod1 (something like 10k tris) in order to reduce the lod0 range and help those with lower specs machines.
I'll use that new code from bob, but I wasn't aware of it and I don't have an idea of how it works. Anyway, if it just lets you define the visible range of specific subobjects, it'll be useful only for the "pure greebling"; it can't be used, for example, for most of the the pipeworks of the engines, where I'd need more a "subobjects' lod system", I mean the possibility to switch between low poly and high poly versions of a subobject depending by the distance of that subobject and not of the whole ship.
The engines btw are heavily optimized: I cutted more than 1k compared to my first version, with some minimal visual lossess but ****ing up the "cleaneness" of the geometry, I just hope that this will not cause shading or lightning weirdnesses. I also sliced the mesh in many submodels to reduce the pcount, some of them are intersecting and I hope that this won't cause problems.

Side note: the horizontal engine is meant to be blocky, alsthought it turned out smoothy in the render.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 02:53:16 pm by 433 »

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Well, that doesn't sound too killer in the polygons department, and the subobject lodding as you describe it is pretty much what I'm hoping for, since it would allow, for example, with terrains to have a Terrain at Lod0 the whole time whilst to objects on it gain detail as they get closer. As the C practically is a terrain, it kinda makes sense that we are both thinking along the same lines ;)

Anyway, awesome stuff! Looking forward to seeing more ;)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
This is looking very good.
-C

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
Heh.. I looked at the first few, and I was like... "What the hell is that?" Then I looked at the rest, and I was like... "OH."

Very nice.
Wh00t!? Vinyl? Is it like an I-pod 2 or something?

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

The Greatest Game in Existance

Offline Grimloq

• Backslash enthusiast
Wow... Never heard of 'nidding' before... ;)

Ersh... @_@ Sweet merciful prograsms!!!

(Prograsm: The Greatest Computing Experience ;) )
A alphabetically be in organised sentences should words.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
"it can't be used, for example, for most of the the pipeworks of the engines, where I'd need more a "subobjects' lod system", I mean the possibility to switch between low poly and high poly versions of a subobject depending by the distance of that subobject and not of the whole ship."

ummm...

that's exactly what it does, you define a box were a subobjec is or is not visable within, so you make a low poly version that is only visable outside the box and a high poly version that is visable only within, try to make ~1000 poly batches.
the closer you get the more objects should become visable, so you have a rough outline and more and more detail gets added

"some of them are intersecting and I hope that this won't cause problems."

it won't
« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 10:56:45 pm by 57 »
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Originally posted by Bobboau

that's exactly what it does, you define a box were a subobjec is or is not visable within, so you make a low poly version that is only visable outside the box and a high poly version that is visable only within, try to make ~1000 poly batches.
the closer you get the more objects should become visable, so you have a rough outline and more and more detail gets added

Quoted for good measure!
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
that's phantastic, I'm gonna rework a little the model then, using a little less optimized version.
Just a Q: you have to do it in the model (the box is defined during conversion?)? if so, what hierachy should I use?