Author Topic: RERELEASE: Cardinal Spear  (Read 8156 times)

Offline Hunter

• Ross128, Freespace 2 Sector, Freespace Files
    • Sectorgame
FreeSpace Files | Overload | Sectorgame Forums - For those times when HLP is down (or because you want to keep me company)

Volition BB Survivor - Nov 1999 to April 2002 / Yes I know *some* folks in Hollywood, and no I can't get you on TV.

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
Re: RERELEASE: Cardinal Spear
Thanks very much for that. :)  There will be more soon... :)
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline CT27

That is always a good thing -- one thing I noticed is that on low difficulty settings the AI aims so poorly that the bombers can't even hit the Typhon with their super damaging primary weapon.  I wonder if you played it on a higher difficulty before?

Perhaps I did but I can't remember exactly.

On another note, in the second mission, allied bombers seemed to do okay at hitting the convoy ships.  Odd they could hit those but not a Typhon.

Offline hxazgalor

• Anything but Shivan
    • My Blog
To clarify, is the new update included with the SectorMods package? Thanks.
"Stars looking at a planet
Watching entropy and pain
And maybe start to wonder how
The chaos in our lives could pass as sane"
~ Switchfoot, 'Stars'

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
My opinion may not be impartial but heh, I'm so willing to post it I can't resist any longer. Just play Cardinal Spear, you won't regret it. :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline CT27

Any advice for the final mission of the first campaign "A Spear In The Dark"?

Often times I have trouble defending the Agamenon.  Should I focus on enemy fighters/bombers or enemy cruisers or disarm the Suez?

Offline CT27

There's also a glitch in that mission:

I was able to accomplish all objectives (I got the primary objectives complete message) and got the order to return to the Agamemnon (which was at 1%).  When the Suez blew up though it finished off the Agamemnon.  When I jumped out I got the successful debriefing music and text though.

Maybe a solution to make this mission easier would be allow the player the option of flying a bomber with one of those heavy plasma cannons that you get in an earlier mission?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Any advice for the final mission of the first campaign "A Spear In The Dark"?

Often times I have trouble defending the Agamenon.  Should I focus on enemy fighters/bombers or enemy cruisers or disarm the Suez?

I haven't played Cardinal Spear in a while so I couldn't say for certain.  I think I was able to beat it just by persistent dogfighting, and then handling other tasks as opportunity allowed.

There's also a glitch in that mission:

I was able to accomplish all objectives (I got the primary objectives complete message) and got the order to return to the Agamemnon (which was at 1%).  When the Suez blew up though it finished off the Agamemnon.  When I jumped out I got the successful debriefing music and text though.

Maybe a solution to make this mission easier would be allow the player the option of flying a bomber with one of those heavy plasma cannons that you get in an earlier mission?

We generally like to leave missions as-is in terms of balance and loadout, since they're Ported projects, not re-imagined projects.  But we do fix mission bugs.  This sounds like it could be handled with ship-guardian.

EDIT: Whoops, I missed the fact that this was Admiral Nelson's version, not the Port version.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 12:11:27 am by Goober5000 »

Offline CT27

I also really liked the neutron gun you got to have in the third mission of the first campaign (where you capture a Typhon).  If anyone ever redoes this campaign, could it be possible to let it be used in more than one mission?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
People work on what they are most interested in working on.  If you'd like to use the neutron gun, why not make a mission that uses it yourself?

There are plenty of mods out there that aren't used as much as they deserve to be.  Perhaps you could do something with the Frontlines assets.

Offline CT27

Sorry, I'm not that skilled with designing missions.  I've tested missions for campaigns before and I can tell if something's technically wrong (or there's a glitch or something) I can point out what happened but not necessarily how to fix it (I'm not saying this thing with the neutron gun is a technical problem)

Anyways, this wasn't a huge issue so I'm willing to drop the complaint.

CS is a campaign I really like so congrats to those who made it. :)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Anybody else having trouble trying to play Cardinal Spear? I get random CTDs during the very first mission. Folder integrity is ok and I'm using 20201115.

[attachment deleted by admin]
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]