Author Topic: MechWarrior Online  (Read 270186 times)

Offline LordMelvin

• emacs ftw
  • VI OR DEATH! DOWN WITH EMACS!
... I'd say let them. They'll finally go bankrupt and then we can have a proper MechWarrior game. :) TBH, I've had enough [of] MWO...

Yeahno, that's not what would happen. What would happen is, they'd close the game as a failure and no other dev studio would dream of touching the IP for well over another full decade.

Me? I'd rather not wait that long.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 11:22:23 pm by LordMelvin »
Error: ls.rnd.sig.txt not found

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
... I'd say let them. They'll finally go bankrupt and then we can have a proper MechWarrior game. :) TBH, I've had enough [of] MWO...

Yeahno, that's not what would happen. What would happen is, they'd close the game as a failure and no other dev studio would dream of touching the IP for well over another full decade.

Me? I'd rather not wait that long.
And the alternative is...? MWO keeps shambling along and we don't get a proper MechWarrior game for possibly even longer than a decade, because they're still trying to make MWO profitable?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
If the options are "****ty BattleTech game" and "No BattleTech game" I'll take ****ty game every day of the week and twice on Sunday, thank you.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
If the options are "****ty BattleTech game" and "No BattleTech game" I'll take ****ty game every day of the week and twice on Sunday, thank you.
You could always join us for MW4:Mercs multiplayer. :P
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

Another game that was heavily mismanaged by someone.

...though not the original developer.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page

Another game that was heavily mismanaged by someone.

...though not the original developer.
at the very least the multiplayer was fun.

especially the few times i managed to run into the coop. (there was a mod, i did play it once a long time ago, and i cant even bloody remember what it was called...)
Mansion defense was never so full of hilarity :D
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Really, there are 4 earlier MechWarriors with expansions, two MechCommanders and at least one "virtual tabletop" BattleTech engine. It's not about not having a BT game, it's about wanting a proper, new MechWarrior instead of the pile of manure MWO is. But for that to happen, PGI would have to let go of the license, which would probably only happen if it went bankrupt. Maybe then someone will pick it up. Or maybe even MW:LL will reopen then, PGI having no money for lawyers anymore (license will probably go to MS in that case, which had an agreement with MW:LL)...

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
PGI doesn't own the license, just so you know.  Microsoft still owns the rights to any and all electronic BattleTech games thanks to FASA.  There's literally no reason to wish PGI go bankrupt, because it's not the one that holds the license.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Yeah, but as long they have it, it's unlikely that another dev would try negotiating with MS and make another MW game. And MS itself doesn't seem likely to make one, either (besides maintaining Halo, did they make any game recently?). Besides, it was PGI that forced MWLL to shut down. If they closed down, maybe Living Legends could re-open.
Not to mention it'd be nice if they got their comeuppance at last. I really, really hate people who lie, break promises and exploit trust put in them. They did all that multiple times. The way I see it, they don't deserve to stay in business.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
(...) Besides, it was PGI that forced MWLL to shut down...
THE F**K?! Sources please. NOW.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Is the TVTropes page good enough? If not, then I recall there being something about on their forums (or was it some other website?), but I can't find it. Anyway, I remember that MS gave them a legal permission, PGI did not, and they came to a "mutual agreement" which meant no more MWLL updates.

For their part, PGI claims that the shutdown was a "mutual consent" agreement.

This is what the Living Legends team had to say about it:
"First and foremost there has not, nor has there ever been, any legal action or threat of legal action leveraged against the MechWarrior: Living Legends development team. This was an assumption of a small amount of volunteers based on incomplete information.

To clarify, the decision to discontinue development of MechWarrior: Living Legends was made by the founders and owners of the project. On behalf of all the people involved in MechWarrior: Living Legends we must sincerely apologize to all parties affected by this miscommunication."

However, it is pretty clear that it was the development of MWO that brought this about. While Microsoft had given Living Legends legal permission, they later gave the license to Jordan Weisman (founder of FASA), who wanted to make MWO.

My guess is that the Living Legends team knew that PGI would come into conflict with them eventually, and decided to shut down voluntarily before they got embroiled in legal battles.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Maybe it's just me being paranoid, but this sounds suspiciously like something they would be forced to say to avoid said legal action... Besides, even if I'm not, it's still PGI's fault, and MWLL is still not coming back until they're dead and gone.

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
Living Legends still lives...if only once every few days when enough people fill up a server or two.
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
MWLL is not coming back

Fixed.

A fair number of people who were working on Living Legends resurfaced in the disaster that is Heavy Gear Assault (probably because they thought the same thing you did and quixotically tried to "get back at" PGI) and then dropped off the face of the Earth again. They worked very hard to paint themselves as conceited, untrustworthy, and incompetent over the course of the HGA trainwreck.

Their names are mud now.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken