Author Topic: A celebration of Freespace  (Read 2675408 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Re: A celebration of Freespace
Just look at the FS1 mainhall. Sparks from the ship are falling down in an arc. Are they wearing magnetic boots too? :p

Yes, they are indeed. ;7

[attachment deleted by evil Tolwyn]
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 07:03:42 pm by Sandwich™ »
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Anyway, it's space.  Things don't have to be up/down.

It help to design a ship with some sort of convention..you know..decks...floor, roof.

Windows are also structural weakpoints. A true warship would have  as few as possible.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
Yes but windows are cool...

:cool:
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I'm tellin you. Custom made boots to balance mobility and staying on the ground (plus the crew would learn to walk just right) and then seatbelts when they're sitting down.

Just look at the FS1 mainhall. Sparks from the ship are falling down in an arc. Are they wearing magnetic boots too? :p

Perhaps each warship has its own gravity. ;7
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Windows are also structural weakpoints. A true warship would have  as few as possible.

This is FS we're talking about.  Yes, that FS with magical beam cannons and inexhaustible pixie dust engines :P

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
What about the gas miners. Eh? EH?
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Well, I suppose.  Really only mention of fuel that occured in the entire game.  Was there more than one in the FS2 campaign?

Oh, and I forgot to mention lasers that don't behave at all like lasers and missiles that don't fit inside the fighters that carry them...

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
I think the only one was the one refueling the Collie.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
You blow up a few in the nebula (SSG Rahu, I always forget it isn't actually a sentry gun), and I think there is one in one of the last couple missions (probably not).

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Yes but windows are cool...

:cool:

Use them sparringly..use them intelligently. Use the Force!

This is FS we're talking about.  Yes, that FS with magical beam cannons and inexhaustible pixie dust engines Tongue

What is magical about beam weapons and fusion engines? :wtf:

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
The fact that beam cannons technically would be invisible.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Not if you added something to them. Like how people add stuff to natural gas so you can smell it when there is a leak.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR

Maybe...but let's not forget you're looking at things trough a fighter's HUD. Many things could be generated to help with situational awareness.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

Maybe...but let's not forget you're looking at things trough a fighter's HUD. Many things could be generated to help with situational awareness.

But then you go to external view. What then?

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Or turn off the HUD for screenshots.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
But then you go to external view. What then?

Things continue to get generated?
Cause external view is not game-universe related.

you might as well ask - what happens to the FS universe when I turn off the computer?

Offline Snail

• SC 5
you might as well ask - what happens to the FS universe when I turn off the computer?
That made me smile. :)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
...nobody liked my photo-chop... :( *pouts*
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I luled!

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft

*Photon* beam cannons. But then again, we already have subluminal lasers...

As for fusion engines, there's no such thing. Fusion is for power and blowing stuff up, not propulsion. It might be a souped up ion drive using a fusion reactor to power the thing, but there is no such thing as a fusion engine. And BTW we have yet to invent a sustained (i.e. not an H-bomb) fusion reactor that produces more power than is put into it... I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's going to be well into the future before we have fusion-powered fighters, if we ever do.