Author Topic: A celebration of Freespace  (Read 2675384 times)

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Re: A celebration of Freespace
Most modern combat jets don't hold too many cannon rounds. You fire in short bursts when you know you can gain a hit.

Most Russian jets don't carry too many shots on 'em. For example, most variants of the MiG-31 have a 6-barreled gatling cannon. The GSh-23-6M can shoot over 9,000 rounds per minute... the MiG-31 carries less than 300 rounds of ammuntion if my memory serves me well...

If you're ever researching military data, don't ever settle on Wikipedia as a singular source. I can't tell you how many times I've looked for data on even mundate systems like the Mk 80 bomb series and not found consitent data. Finding data on guns is hard, too. I was researching the M39 20mm a while back and had a really tough time getting the information I wanted... in which I had enough sources saying close to the same thing so that an accurate figure could be produced. If you had to have a singular source, get your hands on a copy of "Jane's Air Launched Weapons." That still probably won't be perfect even, and then there's the thing of actually getting a shot at reading it...

By the way... Nice work on those, people!
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
The thing is a realistic flight sim using todays weapons is pretty boring. See enemy 50km away. Very small dot. Lock on and fire.
Fun????

Falcon 4.0 would like a word with you!

Besides, an AMRAAM shot from 50km isn't likely to hit much.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Most modern combat jets don't hold too many cannon rounds. You fire in short bursts when you know you can gain a hit.
It's going back to that trend, but U.S. modern fighters up until the F-22 and F-35 showed up hold hundreds more rounds.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
They do? Source? The F-16 wasn't exactly brimming with rounds.

Offline stuart133

• Check for Fail
The thing is a realistic flight sim using todays weapons is pretty boring. See enemy 50km away. Very small dot. Lock on and fire.
Fun????

Yeah yeah, I was talking about a BVR shot.

Also as a RAF cadet (CCF) I have seen some of these weapons up close and talked to some pilots about them.
They tend to hold about 300-500 each, computer controlled bursts, exploding 20-30mm shells. The problem is that the enemy needs to be right in front of the jet for them to hit (I think that they do have a small amount of track, but not much) so they miss, a lot.
Missiles on the other hand only need to be within a 10m radius of the target to kill, (They explode and turn into a few thousand titanium cubes which shred the enemy) and all have advanced IR and radar tracking systems. But each jet can carry 4-5 on average. That said we have not had a proper dogfighting air war for a while so it is hard to say how they would really fare in that situation, but my money would be on the pilot who locked on first
Organiser of HLP 10. (Well at least so I am told)

Stuart you're running this one now ain't ya? So get choosing. :p

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
The F-16 carries 511 rounds of ammo... The F/A-18A/B/C/D mounts up to 578 rounds... the F-14 held 676 rounds, etc.

Most of my information comes from books... and lots of them. The F-22... doesn't hold too many rounds. It's somewhere between the F-16's capacity and the first-gen Hornets. Multiple sources are best.

Oh, and the best net reference of the F-16 I've ever found:

http://www.f-16.net/

By the way, is the "End Project" the Renegade Legion mod?
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Online Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Tooopiiiiiic. :nervous:

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Fun????

Yeah yeah, I was talking about a BVR shot.

Also as a RAF cadet (CCF) I have seen some of these weapons up close and talked to some pilots about them.
They tend to hold about 300-500 each, computer controlled bursts, exploding 20-30mm shells. The problem is that the enemy needs to be right in front of the jet for them to hit (I think that they do have a small amount of track, but not much) so they miss, a lot.
Missiles on the other hand only need to be within a 10m radius of the target to kill, (They explode and turn into a few thousand titanium cubes which shred the enemy) and all have advanced IR and radar tracking systems. But each jet can carry 4-5 on average. That said we have not had a proper dogfighting air war for a while so it is hard to say how they would really fare in that situation, but my money would be on the pilot who locked on first

No, it's got to do with a lot more than that. Relative velocities and altitudes of the firer and target, for one. The missile is unpowered for most of its flight at BVR ranges.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Less military talk, more screenshots. :nod:
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Agreed with Black Wolf.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Holy ****. :yes:

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I hope that skybox is (triggered) animated.....

FreespACE COMBAT ^_^
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Snail

• SC 5
If these are in-game shots, SG, I think you just got +1 awesome.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Dude, whoa. Those are spectacular!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I say!

A pat on the back to all those who laid their lives on the line to bring us these awesome skyboxes.

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Um. Cool.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Nice Fenris.
I still prefer your skyboxes though.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
what does it say there?? GTC Orff? nice background and lighting-
el hombre vicio...

SG, I think you just did the internet equivelent of giving everyone... I dunno, booze, and then having a glass of water for yourself.
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!