Author Topic: A celebration of Freespace  (Read 2675641 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: A celebration of Freespace
i have to point out there are much larger and more powerful shivan ships since what is important about a ship model is how large and powerful it is for instance i stretched a single tri to be 100 kilometers long and it has 400 beam cannons 10 flak cannons a blob turret 3000 morningstars and two subspace rift generators and it could engage teh entire satahanas fleet at once it is commanded by a rogue shivan named Shadow Blade who gives allegiance to no man and uses his beam cannons to mine planets for minerals so he can make his flagship the DEVIL even bigger

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I don't see anything wrong with a battle shot, even if it's Inferno.
There's screens of a briefing and mission dialogue from SGWP2...

dude, did I see Deep Space 9 there  :eek: :wtf: :eek2:

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I don't see anything wrong with a battle shot, even if it's Inferno.
There's screens of a briefing and mission dialogue from SGWP2...

this post is neither large nor powerful and it does not have enough beam cannons

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
some days i think we've made progress as a community

then we get posts like that

:rolleyes:
Don't be condescending, it makes you sound like a dick.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
well to be fair i am rather being a dick

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
well to be fair i am rather being a dick

Quoted for truth. ;)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Don't be condescending, it makes you sound like a dick.
Battuta is a dick. A lovable di-

huh wait

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yeah, after having to listen to a zillion posts asking us to put the Gargant in Blue Planet for no other reason than 'it's big' and 'i want to see it' I'm not feeling hugely charitable towards the phallic compensation school of ship fandom

it's such a weird disconnect how people drool over these great models and screenshots and yet the only campaigns that are considered good are good because of their gameplay and mission or story design

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Unless Blue Planet doesn't count, except I've found it to have good everything including models.
I like the concept between the GTVA - EA war in Inferno, but I don't like the constant one-upsmanship (Nemesis is really the only truly enjoyable mission for the intensity) but only a few models (For their age) look good, while the rest are simply hideous even to Retail graphics' standards.
Plus all of these campaigns that have all these drool-inducing and great models aren't even close to being released, so nobody can tell if they're good because of gameplay and design.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I still believe a campaign centered on a huge ship could be awesome. For instance, I'd really like to see a Colossus-based campaign (I gave it a try, but couldn't continue).
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

I still believe a campaign centered on a huge ship could be awesome. For instance, I'd really like to see a Colossus-based campaign (I gave it a try, but couldn't continue).
That's slightly different and sounds like it would be interesting.  I believe the issue here is the apparent obsession with random ships being huge for the sake of being huge and overwhelmingly powerful.  If you give a ship character, however, instead of just being huge, you get something good.  And it doesn't have to be big to have character - that's been demonstrated numerous times.  My favorite example is the Harvester from Fortune Hunters.
"If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the mighty one.  Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds."
-J. Robert Oppenheimer, quoting the Bhagavad Gita

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Huge and nearly invulnerable ships like the Colossus and Sathanas are awesome thanks to their halo of supposed invincibility. What INFR1 did was just pushing that halo to the limits and, you know, those huge ships are criticized mostly because they're there, with no missions about them, so people think they can only go around and destroy ships. Had INFR2 been released, people would have had a good reason to appreciate those ships.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
yep, if effort was put into making the ship something interest to FRED and play with i'd be all over it

uberships usually have real sparse turret coverage but there are ways around that, however in something as old as INFr1 without AI Profiles modifications you'd have one of those 30k ships limited to firing something like 7 turrets at once, which is obviously suboptimal

this is why Fury AI is great and why AI could be pushed even farther (like droid has done) to allow even more turret fire

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Come to think of it, I can't name a single good mission that revolved around an ubership.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
aye

meanwhile you have entire good campaign that's based around giving a retail model some character

one guess as to which one that is

Offline Snail

• SC 5
aye

meanwhile you have entire good campaign that's based around giving a retail model some character

Shadows of Kraken?

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Come to think of it, I can't name a single good mission that revolved around an ubership.

Do we even have missions focused on uberships? As I said the "problem" about huge ships is that people blame them because they have never been used in a campaign. Every time you see a pic featuring a super ship, be 100% sure the pic comes from a random test mission.

And that is bad IMHO. There should be less prejudice around.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
aye

Shadows of Kraken?

you got it!

anyway i totally think a good ubership mission COULD be done, you just need stuff like Fury AI and fredders who don't suck (so stuff V didn't have in its ubership missions, which is why they all suck)

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Huge and nearly invulnerable ships like the Colossus and Sathanas are awesome thanks to their halo of supposed invincibility. What INFR1 did was just pushing that halo to the limits and, you know, those huge ships are criticized mostly because they're there, with no missions about them, so people think they can only go around and destroy ships. Had INFR2 been released, people would have had a good reason to appreciate those ships.
>implying that INFR2 would have been any good and that those big ships would have done anything but snap crackle and pop
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL