Author Topic: A celebration of Freespace  (Read 2675646 times)

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Re: A celebration of Freespace
IMO, the idea of HoL ships being completely different in color and distinguishable from regular Vasudans is silly, because it's a waste of resources and a large strategic flaw because then they can be identified as HoL solely on sight, but I don't mind if other people would want to use it.

Uhm.... HoL are fanatics ... doomsday cult-fanatics to be exact - and people who do give a **** about their religion tend to display their commitment to hit...
That's why I like the idea of the HoL-texture jobs (and I really like to see one for that Typhon)

as for the tactical flaw: most HoL ships and wings will be known to the PVN by their IFF-codes once they have been engaged as HoL forces at least once - so painting your ship with symbols and turning your lights from blue to red doesn't quite change anything
The HoL are fanatics but they're not idiots. Why would they waste time and resources to recolor every single one of their ships, including changing lighting color either? Considering their comparatively small size to both the Vasudan and Terran fleets, not to mention the Shivans consider their ships valid targets as well, they need to have every ship they can have, and putting their massive destroyers into whatever drydocks they'd need to do all this recoloring is a waste of time and resources and just serves as an easy target.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Maybe small details on other ships like fighters or maybe even cruisers.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
IMO, the idea of HoL ships being completely different in color and distinguishable from regular Vasudans is silly, because it's a waste of resources and a large strategic flaw because then they can be identified as HoL solely on sight, but I don't mind if other people would want to use it.

Uhm.... HoL are fanatics ... doomsday cult-fanatics to be exact - and people who do give a **** about their religion tend to display their commitment to hit...
That's why I like the idea of the HoL-texture jobs (and I really like to see one for that Typhon)

as for the tactical flaw: most HoL ships and wings will be known to the PVN by their IFF-codes once they have been engaged as HoL forces at least once - so painting your ship with symbols and turning your lights from blue to red doesn't quite change anything
The HoL are fanatics but they're not idiots. Why would they waste time and resources to recolor every single one of their ships, including changing lighting color either? Considering their comparatively small size to both the Vasudan and Terran fleets, not to mention the Shivans consider their ships valid targets as well, they need to have every ship they can have, and putting their massive destroyers into whatever drydocks they'd need to do all this recoloring is a waste of time and resources and just serves as an easy target.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-War_(Independence_War)#Defiance
The Indie fleet and the crew of the Spartacus would like a word with you.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I'm with Hades 100% of the way on this one. Recolouring their ships is asinine.

Offline Hades

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-War_(Independence_War)#Defiance
The Indie fleet and the crew of the Spartacus would like a word with you.
Uh, that doesn't disprove my point and doesn't really have any bearing on this argument... Maybe if your example had been from FreeSpace.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
What.

a large strategic flaw because then they can be identified as HoL solely on sight, but I don't mind if other people would want to use it.
Brightly painted red and yellow ships with red PBC shots compared to token industrial grey and yellow PBC shots. The Indies took their time making themselves easy to spot.

Tell me how that doesn't have bearing. It does. In the exact same way.

Offline Hades

What.

a large strategic flaw because then they can be identified as HoL solely on sight, but I don't mind if other people would want to use it.
Brightly painted red and yellow ships with red PBC shots compared to token industrial grey and yellow PBC shots. The Indies took their time making themselves easy to spot.

Well, I will admit that I haven't played nor want to play an I-War game, so fair point there. But you still haven't answered why it'd be strategically viable for the HoL to paint what would have the effect of giant bulls-eyes on them, wasting time and resources that would be better allocated doing something productive. And because I-War does it one way doesn't mean it's the same or it makes sense to be done everywhere else. There's also a difference here, the HoL is a smallish cult while the Indies, from what I've read, seem to be a decently sized rebellion.
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Err, a fleet comprised of several destroyer and responsible for the loss of a good number of GTA and PVN assets during the GW (I remember a CBrief saying the HoL "decimated" the Zod fleet in Vega) isn't exactly what I'd call a "smallish cult".

Besides, nobody said it had to be strategically viable for them to do it. And I'd add, this situation screams "rule of cool" to me.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Deadly in a Shadow

• Buntu!
Err, a fleet comprised of several destroyer and responsible for the loss of a good number of GTA and PVN assets during the GW (I remember a CBrief saying the HoL "decimated" the Zod fleet in Vega) isn't exactly what I'd call a "smallish cult".
It was mentioned shortly after you get the shield technology. They fend off an entire PVN-fleet from Vega. The HoL had a pair of destroyers and they weren't "smallish".
"Ka-BOOOOOOOOM!!!!"
"Uh, Sir we can hear the explosion."
"No you can't, there is no air in space. Sound can't travel through a vacuum!"

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
What.

Well, I will admit that I haven't played nor want to play an I-War game, so fair point there. But you still haven't answered why it'd be strategically viable for the HoL to paint what would have the effect of giant bulls-eyes on them, wasting time and resources that would be better allocated doing something productive.
It's a pretty good game to waste time if you like more complex flight mechanics. And sure, it wouldn't be a viable option, but as just mentioned,

this situation screams "rule of cool" to me.

Offline Hades

Smallish in comparison to the combined PVN and Terran fleets, yes.

And I'd add, this situation screams "rule of cool" to me.
That's hardly an argument and you know it.  Don't be a moron.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 10:19:09 am by Hades »
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Red neon ships aren't really any cooler than blue neon ships.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I don't like the red glow-maps for the HoL ships (changing the entirety of electronics? Definitely doesn't make sense).. but what I do like are the painted symbols. I don't care how 'viable' they are.. I think they look pretty dang cool. IMO, it's the 'pirate flag'... their 'Swasticka'

Also, Hades.. as much as you may hate it, 'Rule of Cool' is definitely an argument when you are talking about the visual style of a video game... Perhaps, it's just an argument you don't agree with.. which is a different matter entirely.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Rule of cool is not universally applicable.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Sure it is! It's just totally subjective. Ala, if you don't think it's cool, then you'll have much more issue with it if it doesn't make sense... however, if you do think it's cool, then often (not always) it doesn't need to make realistic sense.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
PICTURES.
THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT THEM.

Seriously...what? lvlshot is for thumbnailing large images, not making images larger than they are. --Zacam
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 01:13:43 am by Zacam »
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
No pic.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Indeed.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
At least he had the courtesy to lvlshot.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
At least he had the courtesy to lvlshot.

It would have been smaller if he didn't. :rolleyes:
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?