Author Topic: A celebration of Freespace  (Read 2675460 times)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Re: A celebration of Freespace
Even if the AI can't at present handle this, maybe updating the lead calculation so that it works correctly would fix it. I don't know how hard would that be, but something tells me it'd be easier than the usual ventures into the AI code...

Point 1: Gravity is not an FSO feature, it's a script.
Point 2: The engine can defer lead calculations to scripts (via the hud override hooks)
Point 3: Updating the engine to handle gravity internally must include updates to the AI. There is no way to do it halfheartedly
Ah, so it's a script. I thought it was done in-engine. :) In that case, the best bet is to mess with lead calculations and hope for the best. Well, at least this gravity script maintains collision detection, unlike the last one we had.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
The above screenshots were done via an in-engine gravity feature, not via scripting. However we usually handle gravity via scripts.

I don't recall any collision detection trouble with the gravity script that shipped with Tenebra.

*Achivement Bing*
Achievement unlocked - Rained on Boastutta's parade

Not at all, this is definitely a tentative feature.

Offline Luis Dias

Are you getting your enemy AI to be able to fly around and shooting you?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
No, mate, everything about this exploratory feature is in that screenshot.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I don't recall any collision detection trouble with the gravity script that shipped with Tenebra.
Yeah, but isn't that debris gravity only? The last "real" gravity script I recall (one that affected ships and projectiles) was Nuke's, and it was a bit rough along the edges, so to speak.
However, if it's an in-engine feature, this would be a real game-changer. I hope Kobrar intends on developing it further.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
It's whatever you want it to be gravity afaik - weapons, ships, debris. But the AI won't play nice with it and I think it's a touch unreliable.

And this feature isn't the game-changer you think it is. It's gravity for weapons. That's all you're looking at here.

Offline Mpez

It's whatever you want it to be gravity afaik - weapons, ships, debris. But the AI won't play nice with it and I think it's a touch unreliable.

And this feature isn't the game-changer you think it is. It's gravity for weapons. That's all you're looking at here.

So, basically, we could make some nice bombing run missions? Cool.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Yeah. Allowing gravity bombs, toss bombing, cool rocket pod strafing runs, ground-based artillery and a few other things I really wanted to see. :) I'm not modding a lot of FS nowadays, but I might return to it once this goes in (and I'm done with my KSP stuff).

Offline Kolgena

Even gravity on debris only would be really cool, and wouldn't affect gameplay much at all.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Even gravity on debris only would be really cool, and wouldn't affect gameplay much at all.

We've had that since Tenebra, it's in the Jupiter mission.

Offline Kolgena

Heh, totally didn't notice. It's been a while since I've played that mission because it crashes once you place all your turrets.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Heh, totally didn't notice. It's been a while since I've played that mission because it crashes once you place all your turrets.

Not for anyone else! Post a debug log please.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
*Achivement Bing*
Achievement unlocked - Rained on Boastutta's parade

Not at all, this is definitely a tentative feature.

1) I concede that I thought it was a script and that it was effecting everything, not just weapons.

2) My original reasoning was somthing along this line:
As long as the AI can't compensate, it runs close to being a nice-but-borderline-useless-feature - One problem would be if the AI cannot compensate for the effect gravity has on its weapons, it becomes next to useless in a engagement that happens at a range where the effect is significant (think of them attacking turrets on a ground-based installtion but not hitting the turrets because of the trajectory of their primaries). Another would come from the fact that if the effect of gravity is reduced to a minimum to avoid having those problems with the AI, why bother including it in the first place, if you are going to make it meaningless anyway...
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
We're not going to implement a feature the AI doesn't know how to handle.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
We're not going to implement a feature the AI doesn't know how to handle.

That's intelligent reasoning and such cannot be the product of a human mind, so please forgive me that I didn't think of that.
Being human doesn't require having positive opionions about humans, it would be maddening otherwise.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Axem

This month on crazy FreeSpace science...

Custom interface screens!

(works best if you maximize the video)

Offline Mpez

Amazing work. I understand you can add new entries in that "e-mail system" during a campaign? And a more important questions, Y U no show photo album? :(

Offline Luis Dias

omg that's awesome.

Are you a wizard?

Offline Axem

Amazing work. I understand you can add new entries in that "e-mail system" during a campaign? And a more important questions, Y U no show photo album? :(

Yes, there will be things that allow you to add new entries and stuff during a campaign. Also photos don't work quite yet... Just text. But its on the to-do list!  :nervous:

Are you a wizard?

Maybe.