19 (7.5%)
GTF Myrmidon
14 (5.5%)
GTF Ares
43 (16.9%)
GTF Ulysses
8 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 252

Author Topic: Favorite terran fighter  (Read 97741 times)

Offline eliex

Re: Favorite terran fighter
A Myrmidon makes its "potatoness" for its strength. Most of the time, a Myrm hit by dual Trebs or Tornados will live unlike ships like the Eryines.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
A Myrmidon makes its "potatoness" for its strength. Most of the time, a Myrm hit by dual Trebs or Tornados will live unlike ships like the Eryines.

:wtf:

But the tech description says that the Myrmidon has average Armor. How can it survive dual Trebuchets if an Erinyes cannot?
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Speak for yourself, Storm. I'd prefer the Myrmidon to the Horus.

I've just done the first few missions of The Procyon Insurgency, and I find myself flying the Serapis over the Thoth and Horus.
Cuz the Serapis are 1337 Haxx0r !!

Its not a problem if you don't get hit. Countermeasures + noticing a pair of missiles coming at you from long range = dodgability.

And besides, the Eryines wins in bother shields and armour.

But the tech description says that the Myrmidon has average Armor. How can it survive dual Trebuchets if an Erinyes cannot?
Exaxctly! Look at the table entries.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline bfobar

So are we arguing this because the ship we like to fly must obviously be the best at dogfighting and therefore everyone else is wrong?

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
Nope. I'm just saying if the Eryines can't survive a dual Treb hit, then neither can the Myrmidon.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Nope. I'm just saying if the Eryines can't survive a dual Treb hit, then neither can the Myrmidon.

Hey! That's my line!
My blog

MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline eliex

I really have no idea. OK, I just see Myrms in Derelict all the time getting smacking head-on with Tornados (or Trebs) and, well although on 10-20% health, they are still alive.     :eek:

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
Reactive/reflective armour maybe.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Perhaps it's a feature of having a loose shield system. Note that if you compared the shield quadrants of an Erinyes to a Myrmidon's, the Erinyes' is armour-tight. Shields absorb damage, but they can't absorb everything, so perhaps the extra damage that they can't absorb gets transferred into the substance adjacent to it. In the Erinyes, it's its hull; in the Myrmidon, it's vacuum or thin air.
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
I personally have never seen a Myrmidon survive dual trebs... and I swear I played through all of Derelict.

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
It's probably just a matter of evasion.  The Myrmidon is faster and smaller, so it is more likely to not suffer a direct hit.

Maybe only one of the Trebs actually hit. Just because two are fired doesn't mean they both hit the mark.

Erynies (Myrmidon in brackets):

$Max Velocity:               0.0, 0.0, 65.0    (75.0)
$Rotation time:               3.8, 4.2, 3.8   (4.0, 3.7, 5)
$SBank Capacity:            ( 40, 50 )   [ 20, 20, 40 ]
$Shields:                  500   (390)
$Power Output:               3.3    (2.4)
$Max Oclk Speed:            70.0        (95.0)
$Max Weapon Eng:            150.0      (150.0)
$Hitpoints:                     325      ( 290 )
$Afterburner:               YES
   +Aburn Max Vel:            0.0, 0.0, 130.0 (135.0)
   +Aburn For accel:         0.75  (0.8)
   +Aburn Fuel:            420.0 (320.0)
   +Aburn Burn Rate:         55.0 (60.0)
   +Aburn Rec Rate:         29.0 (25.0)
$Countermeasures:            25  (36)

I seriously don't know how a Myrm could survive what an Erynies can't.
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Woah. An Erinyes is actually more maneuverable than a Murmidon on two out of three rotation rates! Never knew that.
Also, the Erinyes has a better afterburn. Its 5m/s slower, but it has more fuel, consumes less fuel, and recharges faster (?).
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Yeah, the Erinyes is a pretty maneuverable fighter. It's good for dogfighting and stuff, too.

Offline bfobar

The Erinyes is just so powerful though, especially since you can give it maxims and keysers usually for loadout. Laughing maniacally and wiping out 100 wings of mantacores gets old after the 20th or so wave. I want suspense! I need a new joystick so I can play the FSPort and enjoy the valk again.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The Erinyes is just so powerful though, especially since you can give it maxims and keysers usually for loadout. Laughing maniacally and wiping out 100 wings of mantacores gets old after the 20th or so wave. I want suspense! I need a new joystick so I can play the FSPort and enjoy the valk again.
Valkyries were pretty cool fighters, but I liked the Apollo more.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
The Valk had an absolutely wonderfully long afterburn time...and an excellent top burn speed of 160m/s. Pity the AI phails using it...and drop like flies. I tried to like the Apollo, I really did, but it kept falling apart faster than a Valk (when I pilot it)...so I ended up taking the Valk whenever a could for FSPort. If not, then a Medusa. I actually managed to play intercept in one of those (Doomsday)...and another time while playing some mission in S:AH. I tried to avoid the Herc due to its shield mesh errors (only present in HTL).

Yeah, I probably just suck.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The Apollo was better than the Myrmidon IMO, but that's just me (pull out all the statistics you can, I'll never like the Myrmidon more than the Apollo).

Offline bfobar

Visually the Apollo is much sexier. What else matters in single player, really?