19 (7.5%)
GTF Myrmidon
14 (5.5%)
GTF Ares
43 (16.9%)
GTF Ulysses
8 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 252

Author Topic: Favorite terran fighter  (Read 97299 times)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Re: Favorite terran fighter
Perseus has advantage in total secondary bank capacity: ( 40, 40 ) of Perseus, vs. ( 60 ) of Valkyrie.  The split banks also allow for weapon diversity if you've got some varying objectives to complete.  That said, the Valkyrie has the clear advantage in top speed: 80 top normal, 100 top at full engines, 140 with burners, for Perseus, vs. 85 top, 100 top at full engines, 165 with burners.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Where's the Valkyrie?!

the perseus improves on the valkyrie in every way. even looks better
...except, as previously noted, in the cases of top speed and afterburner capacity, for which the Valkyrie is far superior? :p

well yer, but the perseus makes up for that in firepower.

For those of you who like speed, why aren't you voting for the Pegasus which is super fast and super manueverable as well as stealth?

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
For those of you who like speed, why aren't you voting for the Pegasus which is super fast and super manueverable as well as stealth?
Because it has piss-poor offensive and defensive capability.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
If memory serves... 1 missile bank? The Perseus has 2 p00nage banks  :nod:
I can't even tell you the last time I've managed to empty a non-bomber missile bank, no matter how small; not only do I not see the point in firing off something that's probably going to miss a great deal of the time, I figure I'm saving Command a few bucks here and there. :p

Because it has piss-poor offensive and defensive capability.
I suppose... although with Prom-S cannons and two bays of Tempests you can take out any fighter in moments and it's easy to get behind anyone.

I find that in some levels at insane that it simply gives you a lot more breathing room when your wingmen get wiped out and there's an entire wing of scattered fighters all locking missiles on you =)

Too bad about the weapons compatibility; I guess it would make it unfair =D
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 10:26:56 am by ChronoReverse »

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I use missiles because I'm pish (and so is my joystick)

:)

I use missiles because I'm pish (and so is my joystick)

:)

try a mousestick, then. :lol:
by the way, i tried to launch a bomb against a fighter....
Steadfast  Project Member

INFERNO: ALLIANCE

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
GTF POTATO.

GTF *******.

The mousestick is excellent...you have to combine its use with a rapid pressing numpad, but It's awesome.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

The mousestick is excellent...you have to combine its use with a rapid pressing numpad, but It's awesome.

i don't have the numpad...

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Are you serious?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Laptops dont have numpads.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Desert Tyrant

• Meh.
Meh, I voted for the Erinyes
 :nervous: >_>
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 08:37:43 pm by Desert Tyrant »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Command, incoming jump signature!  New member configuration!

Gunnery control, commence plasma core insertion.

Welcome to Hard Light Productions.  Exits are located in all directions and at the local jump node, however, all are blocked and the jump drive is suffering a massive malfunction.

Please keep all appendages within the station at all times.  In the event that you encounter a gigantic insectoid in the air ducts, this is Carl, our resident Shivan.  Give him your lunch and back away slowly.  Carry a spare lunch at all times.

Flamethrowers can be found under your seat, but due to Kazan's failure to produce sufficient napalm of late, they have been filled with holy water.  Plasma rifles are located in the aft storage lockers, but they are code-locked and can only be accessed by moderators, V, or a hyperintelligent shade of the color blue.   

Unless you enjoy pain, do not use the number 3 and the letters Sierra and Foxtrot in the reverse order of that presented.  In the event that you fail to comply, you implicitly provide consent for your remains to be given to Carl and devoured.  Your head will be donated to the local Vasudan minority.

In the event of a catastrophic hull failure, please board an automated lifeboat to our sister station at Game Warden.

Thank you and enjoy your stay. 

...Taristin's going to kill me, isn't he? 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 09:33:24 pm by General Battuta »

Are you serious?
I am serious -->
Laptops dont have numpads.
that's the reason for which i'm not doing Steadfast's final testing on the missions i fredded...

...Your head will be donated to the local Vasudan minority.
Are we only a minority here?

Pegasus. Sure the Ares can carry boatloads of Trebs and take out everything before they can even get close, and sure, I fly the Perseus as a matter of habit (and because the firepower is more than welcome), but the Perseus flies like a dream. Sure, it can't do much than what you set it up for, but who cares when the enemy can't hit you anyway? Just keep jamming the balance shield button every time you get hit and accomplish what you set out to do, then do dances around the enemy capship's spires after you've tagged it and ride the shockwave outta there when it blows. It's certainly not what I'd fly if my life depended on it, but it's certainly one of the most fun ships to fly in the game.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I rarely fly the Pegasus, so I don't know, will enemies fire on you? IIRC they still do making the Pegasus mainly useless, but if they don't.......... ;7

Offline Desert Tyrant

• Meh.
I rarely fly the Pegasus, so I don't know, will enemies fire on you? IIRC they still do making the Pegasus mainly useless, but if they don't.......... ;7

I cant say I've ever flew the Pegasus
EDIT: D'oh!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 07:19:56 pm by Desert Tyrant »

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
flew

Half the time the AI opponents will ignore you.  Even when they shoot at you, it seems they miss a lot.  Only heatseakers will lock onto you and it's a very weak lock (simply turning to a side would break the lock).  The Pegasus is almost like cheating if not for the low firepower.