Author Topic: Act III Universal Truth Debriefings (Spoilers)  (Read 12596 times)

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Re: Act III Universal Truth Debriefings (Spoilers)
This is an endings thread. You don't need to mark spoilers, it's in the title! :p

If we consider the ending as canonically possible, from your list & the Trans ending:
We do not know how the subject managed to stabilize the pocket of subspace his exit trajectory carried him to. It appears that he passed through at least two separate meta-Hubble domains, configuring each one to the demands of his disintegrating psyche. Given what was observed in the domain he eventually occupied, we can only consider it a blessing that he did not successfully return to the launch point.

When the Shadow Guardians were inserted into the subject's exit point they immediately broke contact. We assumed that they had been subverted by the subject's unknown, nascent ontostatic capabilities.
However, at insertion plus fifty five hours, indirect observation of the subject's volume indicated total collapse and necrosis of the manifold (...)
I theorized that, indirectly, the technicians may have observed the Great Darkness or it's effects on wherever it was. The transcendent may for all intents and purposes now serve as a "vessel" or "scout" for the GD. Or something else entirely.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Where the heck did Gregster2k's second post go? It was big and effortful and I read it quite recently, and now it's gone.

Offline An4ximandros

I was wondering the same thing when I posted mine as a semi-answer to his...

EDIT: Nice try, mate! I got yer post by back pedaling like 8 pages back >=P

This is an endings thread. You don't need to mark spoilers, it's in the title! :p
Point well taken, removing spoiler tags from post.

Where the heck did Gregster2k's second post go? It was big and effortful and I read it quite recently, and now it's gone.
I moved it to a Notepad file when I realized the OP seemed to be interpreting the Transcend Ending from the perspective of someone who has not played Sync or Transcend at all.  I don't want to spoil Sync/Transcend for Providence932 so I'm holding back for now.

Offline An4ximandros

You can always tag your post with a warning for him, you know... :nervous:

You can always tag your post with a warning for him, you know... :nervous:
Point well taken, reposting.

Dear OP (providence932):
If you haven't played http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Sync and  http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Transcend yet, you should do so ASAP, they're awesome campaigns, and the ending you posted is a reference to both of them.  Also, DON'T READ THIS POST!

PERSONAL ANALYSIS
(WARNING: SPOILS CAMPAIGNS SYNC & TRANSCEND)

Spoiler:
The inclusion of Hangar 96 is most likely an easter egg and is not canonical to BP.  I don't have anything to say regarding the fake ending, ants ending, or the true ending at this time.  However, getting back to the OP's topic, the duplicate inclusion (and thereby increased rate of getting it at random) of the Transcendant easter egg is interesting.

Since the Blue Planet universe allows for a meta-verse where there are many different universes available, it is conceivable that the events of Transcend are in fact canon to the overall Blue Planet Campaign Lore so to speak, but did not occur in the specific universes/realities ("Normal" and "GTD Sanctuary") that the majority of BP takes place in.  In other words, within this campaign's lore, there exists an alternate reality universe where the events of Sync and Transcend occurred.  As such, this campaign then creatively "builds upon" Sync and Transcend for its own purposes, and the implications, are intriguing ... and terrifying.

Indeed, this mission deemed the Transcendant's powers as "ontostatic" -- possibly related to the "ontovore" concept the Shivans seem genuinely frightened of during the mission?  It also interpreted the Sync Drive as transdimensional.  This raises questions from me:
Spoiler:
- Do dimensions, in this context, refer to other universes/realities like the one with the GTD Sanctuary?

- Would the Sync Drive, being transdimensional, pass through them?

- Could Sync have been a primitive form of the same dimension hopping capability the Vishnans possess?!! *BRAIN EXPLODES*

- Is the Transcendant an ontovore, whatever that means?

- Does that make him similar to The Great Darkness in nature?

If the Transcendant is capable (in Blue Planet) of dimension-hopping, or interfacing via Nagari, then that explains why Noemi is able to interact with him.  However, if the events of Transcend are canon, then the Transcendant died, right?

Right?   :shaking:
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 09:15:41 pm by Gregster2k »

Offline An4ximandros

You accidentally the first spoiler tag! :p

EDIT: As far as the Transcendent's unfolding goes... that may have actually resulted in the Great Darkness! If you think about the necrosis of the manifold and the capacity for critters to emerge and devour dead bodies, the death of the Transcendent may have created the "Worm" we refer to as the "Great Darkness"

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
You can use [ spoiler ] and [ /  spoiler ] (remove spaces) to hide your post.

As far as the Transcendent's unfolding goes... that may have actually resulted in the Great Darkness! If you think about the necrosis of the manifold and the capacity for critters to emerge and devour dead bodies, the death of the Transcendent may have created the "Worm" we refer to as the "Great Darkness"

I wonder though what The Manifold is...and why would they use the word Necrosis?

Somewhere in Tenebra it was said that the Brahmans of old created a mistake, which now "stalks the cold corridors of the cosmos."  Assuming that to be the G.D., then the Transcendant can't be the GD.  He's not an ancient being, he was a modern human - he came from the GTVA, from the Sync Device (wait...was Sync made with Shivan tech? :nervous:). ... On the other hand, time has no meaning for him or the Vishnans, does it?

I think it's more likely that the Transcendant is a sort of rogue being, an independent, a relative or analogue to the GD, or a human-created facsimile of the GD.  The GD may very well be the collective insanity of an entire transcended race (the Brahmans?).  Is the Transcendant what would happen if the GD somehow 'escaped' Nagari?  Or maybe he's a product of the GD?  Perhaps the GD came first, the Sync Drive passed through it...and the Transcendant was thus "infected" by its insanity? :shaking:

I theorized that, indirectly, the technicians may have observed the Great Darkness or it's effects on wherever it was. The transcendent may for all intents and purposes now serve as a "vessel" or "scout" for the GD. Or something else entirely.

Maybe the Transcendant is what happens if you look behind you.

EDIT: No wait.  The Sync Device is an interdimensional transporter, whereas Nagari is a quantum pulse transmitter.  Does the GD occupy a physical space?  Does Nagari exist in a dimension unto itself?  I suppose if your brain physically passes through dimensions, it's not all that different than having it receive data through dimensions?  Maybe?  Hmm.  Now I'm stuck.  :P

You can use [ spoiler ] and [ /  spoiler ] (remove spaces) to hide your post.
Done.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 09:42:04 pm by Gregster2k »

Offline An4ximandros

Sorry, Should have clarified. The necrosis was in reference to the Transcend ending. The Necrosis of the subspace manifold. That may have served as a carcass for a sort of "larva" darkness to feed and grow out of. It was just a spur of the moment thing.

And as far as Nagari & Subspace go, they both are methods of transmitting "information." And as far as we know, Subspace is information transmission "outside" of "Volumes" & "Layers". Nagari is a sort of protocol to transmit information by electric impulses directly into matter. (This is my understanding at the moment, feel free to prove me wrong, General.)

Offline qwadtep

You accidentally the first spoiler tag! :p

EDIT: As far as the Transcendent's unfolding goes... that may have actually resulted in the Great Darkness! If you think about the necrosis of the manifold and the capacity for critters to emerge and devour dead bodies, the death of the Transcendent may have created the "Worm" we refer to as the "Great Darkness"
The prefix onto- means "being" or "existence." An ontovore therefore would consume existence, so it stands to reason that the necrosis of the manifold is itself the Great Darkness.

Spoiler:
Similarly, the term ontostatic likely refers to a fixed existence--something that simply is. A universal constant. The Transcendent is immortal.

Practically speaking though, sometimes a necrosis of the manifold is just a necrosis of the manifold. It means the Transcendent ended up in an unstable bubble of spacetime which decayed and collapsed, nothing more.

Spoiler:
Since Sync could be used for transdimentional travel it's no wonder why the Shivans wanted it so badly.

We do not know how the subject managed to stabilize the pocket of subspace his exit trajectory carried him to. It appears that he passed through at least two separate meta-Hubble domains, configuring each one to the demands of his disintegrating psyche. Given what was observed in the domain he eventually occupied, we can only consider it a blessing that he did not successfully return to the launch point.

Spoiler:
"The domain he eventually occupied" is the universe where the events of Transcend took place. Had the Transcendent "returned to the launch point" he would have returned to the universe in which this note was written and caused havoc there. This universe could possibly be the canon BP verse or some other dimension that Laporte came into contact with through Nagari.

When the Shadow Guardians were inserted into the subject's exit point they immediately broke contact. We assumed that they had been subverted by the subject's unknown, nascent ontostatic capabilities.
However, at insertion plus fifty five hours, indirect observation of the subject's volume indicated total collapse and necrosis of the manifold, leading to the loss of the Shadow Guardians, the subject's stealth craft, and any data relating to the initial contact between the subject and the target volume.

Spoiler:
The Shadow Guardians were somehow sent through dimensions to stop the Transcendent but failed. 55 hours after their insertion the player character destroys the Transcendent ship causing the collapse of the dimension he inhabited (the "rewinding" final cutscene).

Offline An4ximandros

Wot is dis, I don't even. :nervous:
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 11:51:47 pm by An4ximandros »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

Wot is dis, I don't even. :nervous:

Link is dead

Offline Kolgena

Looks like DNA. There's even a start codon in the briefing title.

Offline cmap38

I'd totally check that image for hidden messages if someone would post a higher res version. It's a long shot, but it would be neat to find a message hidden in the resulting amino acid sequence.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
This once, there's nothing there.

Offline An4ximandros

That would be way too much effort for something so little, specially for a group of modders. I will trust the God-Doctor of Mankind this once and save me a headache.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Nah, it would've been a great place to put an easter egg and I'm embarrassed we didn't. Something for a patch, perhaps!

Offline Kolgena

Wait, is that actually a debrief, or something from pretty bad corruption? At least judging by the background, there seems to be a lot of graphics artifacting.

(Also, where's the full debrief involving laporte peeling her skin off?)