Author Topic: Some of the music really has to go!  (Read 11873 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Some of the music really has to go!
No, if they've explicitly asked that it never be used this way we'll pull it. We've done so in the past in similar situations.

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
So does this mean I should put my plan to use RULES OF NATURE as the final stage of a sequential boss battle on the back-burner? :P
In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed.

Offline Mikes

So does this mean I should put my plan to use RULES OF NATURE as the final stage of a sequential boss battle on the back-burner? :P

That Album is the first game soundtrack CD that found it's way into my regular music library :) Awesome all around hehe.

Offline Rheyah

• Will release something one day. Promise.
No, if they've explicitly asked that it never be used this way we'll pull it. We've done so in the past in similar situations.

It's up on the website, but I will actually mod Blue Planet to keep it in game because I prefer it being used as is.

Besides I suspect they'd be quite proud of what you've done with it.  People do find ways to monetize other peoples content (particularly on youtube) but in the case of Blue Planet, I think this falls into a very, very specific subset of uses which is effectively impossible to monetize.  I mean if I take my own work on Shetland alone, I reckon I've done a good twenty days work unpaid at least.

Just an annoying little aside.  I wouldn't pull it, personally.  I would ask them directly if you can use it and given the size and scale of the project - combined with videos of the playthroughs of this magnificent mod - I imagine they would acquiesce.

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
Probably best to get in touch if possible, and if they have discussed it specifically; I know Two Steps have had a lot of success thanks to fans (in fact IIRC it was fan requests that made them start up albums in the first place, they used to be business only) so they may not mind entirely as Rheyah says. However, if one of their customers had bought the right to use that song yet then saw Blue Planet using it they might get uppity with Two Steps, which would not be good. Best to have a deal of some kind in place if possible.

You could mention incidentally that I and my family are huge fans of their music from iTunes yet hadn't even heard of Pathogen (nor their website/youtube with all the others for that matter) until this morning, so you've at least in our case just given them free advertisement! :lol: Definitely buying those near future! :yes:

And if worse comes to the worse... how much are song rights anyhow? (a friend once looked up one song I liked and the company apparently asked for £200-ish) Fan donation drive anyone?
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline Darius

Song rights prices differ from place to place, but one site that I use is around AUD1.85 per track for home/student usage (up to AUD135 for commercial/corporate productions).

Music usage is an ongoing discussion topic among us as the reach of the mod increases. What's looking most likely is future releases toning down this "grey area" use of music and phasing in royalty-free or properly licensed tracks.

Offline T-Man

Song rights prices differ from place to place, but one site that I use is around AUD1.85 per track for home/student usage (up to AUD135 for commercial/corporate productions).

Woah, didn't realise it could be that low (heck for business deal-level terms even the 135 ain't bad; was that Per Anum or one-off?); and you guys might be able to get near the lower-end deals as BP is not-for-profit. What you've done with the songs you have are so fantastic for their missions that I'd be a shame to ever have to loose them.

If the option is there, I would donate happily. Suspect others would too. (especially if it's as low as £1-2 a track; good god a pint is worth more than that :lol:)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 06:35:26 am by T-Man »

Offline qwadtep

To clarify, the "copyright is only for commercial works" idea is a complete misconception. Making money from someone else's IP is the surest way to get sued, but just because you don't make money directly from the derived work doesn't mean you're in the clear.
To clarify further, using someone else's IP for money is a felony, using it for free is a civil suit.

Offline MikeRoz

This is just my opinion of course, after returning after a really long fs2 hiatus I came back to this and to Blue Planet WiH. There is some iconic music in here and by iconic I mean iconic to other franchises. Srsly guys the track of Dante's battle against Vergil from Devil May Cry 3? I hear this music and it completely pulls me out of Blue Planet and I am thinking of Devil May Cry and while the track is srsly awesome it just does not belong. I recognized some music form Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex as well. Same thing happens for me.

Deliberately ignoring the semi-OT piracy debate - what's more jarring for me is when super-recognizable trailer music is used mid-game. Icarus has been mentioned before, but I'd also include Freedom Fighters and Lacrimosa. Lacrimosa in particular had reached such saturation in the whole 'overblown trailer music' memsapce - almost as much as Requiem for a Tower - that in the mid-00s this happened. It was an immersion-breaking moment for me when that played - I was tempted to crack up, thinking of H2KAM, in the midst of what should have been a dramatic moment.

In general, trailer music doesn't belong in the middle of a video game/film/television show. There are examples of music going the reverse direction, but I can't name a time (outside of parody) when a director/producer said "OMG, we should use this music from a trailer I heard to really drive home how EPIC this scene is!"
Rave reviews of my previous posts:
"Wow.  Just wow.  Well, just about the whole post is devoid of reasonable technical merit and accuracy." -Enki
"Wow, he just wasted about an hour of his life." -MachManX
"There are 5 million things wrong with your post, of which many have already been pointed out..." -blackhole
"Grrr. Someone please monkey mike...He's causing more problems than he's solving" -terran_emperor
"You're not very bright, are you." - General Battuta

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Everyone is jarred by different music. People tend to react so positively to the use of Freedom Fighters/Lacrimosa in particular that I have no idea how we'd ever pull them without a minor revolt.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I recall seeing a trailer for the movie "Master and Commander", and realize that I was hearing music from "Pirates of the Caribbean", and also watching a trailer for the Mark Whalberg-led "Planet of the Apes" and hearing music from "Independence Day"
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Luis Dias

Now the fad is using Sunshine's soundtrack theme in trailers. I'm sad about that, I thought that was a (somewhat) private popjoy of mine and now it's fully hypermainstreamed.

Offline Beskargam

• We'z got a nob to lead us boys, wadaful.
I liked the use of freedom fighter/lacrimosa....

Offline Aesaar

I associate Icarus far more with BP than I ever did with DX: HR.  In fact, I was actually kinda surprised it was from DX: HR because that game made such poor use of it that I barely noticed it.  To me, it's a BP track through and through, and I'd still use it even if it was removed from official releases.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
That's actually kinda sad... and I think one of the reasons people might take issue with the *ahem* 'O'ST. By your post, BP pretty much appropriated annexed that track.

Offline Aesaar

Not BP's fault DX:HR made such poor use of the track.  They had the opportunity.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
They paid for the song to the composer. Let that sink in. It's theirs to use as they see fit. Bp... well...

Offline Aesaar

They're free to ask us to remove it if they care.  They haven't so far.  Until they do, there's no reason to get rid of it.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Icarus is available to every YouTube channel, amateur dance mix, Tumblr fanvid, and romantic cyborg mix tape that's seen fit to take it, play it, bend it, chop it up, or rebuild it from the ground up. We did the same.

Offline T-Man

I would like to try and bring this to a final close if possible, as I don't want it to drag on and on needlessly. There's three options on the table;

1. Keep things as are and risk problems down the line.
2. Remove the unlicensed music and replace it with free-to-use alternatives (which sounds like it's Darius' plan). Perhaps the people who are arguing against the tracks would be kind enough to help look for or compose some fitting alternatives (perhaps working with Belisarius), as it is them wishing the tracks removed?
3. Get in touch with the license owners and get the tracks licensed (this may be a problem in the case of Two Steps, as they can't license for free anymore forcing a commercial license). Again, perhaps the people arguing against the tracks would be kind enough to help by (as I offered) getting their wallets out, as it was they wishing the tracks licensed?

(Pardon rudeness/bluntness. I can't help notice that many of the people who are suddenly getting at BP over this (despite, if I recall in an earlier post, the original thread starter not wishing to) seem to be (as it always seem to be these days) HLP 'members' who to my knowledge have actually never contributed anything to any part of the community except complaining at or demanding things from those that actually do contribute (If I'm wrong there though, fair enough). An old motto; "Be the change you want to see!". If you are fans, help the BP Team out here please, instead of just criticising them.)

(EDIT: Okay... maaaybe a little too ranty of me and should've been said better, but shall leave it up in the name of honesty.)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 08:59:28 am by T-Man »