Author Topic: Trailer Released!  (Read 13433 times)

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
2nd Lieutenant David "Sandman" Markham's training took a cruel twist when his training carrier, the TCS Wellington, was ambushed and destroyed by the Kilrathi while cruising in a supposedly safe system. Unlike most of his fellow trainees and trainers, Sandman has survived to fight another day. But the days ahead are dark and foreboding.

The fight Markham has been prematurely plunged into is growing more desperate by the day. The Kilrathi are advancing on every front. Confed fleets are being forced to retreat in disarray. Terran losses are mounting catastrophically. System by system, the Kilrathi are pressing closer to the heart of the Confederation, hungry for the kill and the thrill of ultimate victory. Hope has run thin, and the total extinction of the human race seems all but inevitable.

Victory and survival for humanity can only be bought at a terrible cost. Gather your wingmen and your courage and prepare to play your part in humanity's desperate gambit as you face the Kilrathi foe. It is a time where even average men must reach inside themselves and become heroes. Answer the call. Face the enemy. Make your mark as the Confederation faces its darkest dawn.
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Awesome! Downloading now. :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Downloaded and watched, awesome trailer guys can't wait for the campaign release.

if i can be allowed 1 nitpick the music volume made some of the narration and excerpts difficult to hear
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Satellight

• Star Dreamer
Nice work ! Can wait to try  :D
Never far away from HLP and from a computer with an installed FreeSpace.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Man, why didn't someone give this a highlight?  Awesome stuff. :D

Is "this winter" a release announcement? :)

Offline Silent Warrior

• My thoughts go where no one knows to tread.
Downloading! :D It's been a while since I showed my face around here, hasn't it? Well, I'm sorry to say the pattern will keep up for a while yet, but I'll make a point of checking in a little more often. Can't miss THIS!

[Edit] I'm fairly sure the news-network is called TCN (Terran Confederation News), not TNC. Maybe a nitpick, but I think you'd prefer to have this down correctly. Best to double-check, of course.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 03:22:29 am by Silent Warrior »
I can't go home again until I find a stone a rose a door.
Choo choo, and that is the truth.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
*cough* Terran News Channel  *cough*
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Calbeck

Yep.  I squee'd.

Offline Silent Warrior

• My thoughts go where no one knows to tread.
*Cough* I stand corrected. *Cough* :p
I can't go home again until I find a stone a rose a door.
Choo choo, and that is the truth.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
This has pleased me no end. Downloading now, I need to reinstall WC4 so I can see which is which. TCN sounds right, but so does TNC. TCN could be Terran Confederation Navy . . . . My memories fail D:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Wicked trailer. Cool to see some character models and scenes in there.
It's a crime there aren't isn't more chatter over this.

Offline starlord

are strakha capable of atmospheric flying?

Also, I hope you have a place for the ekapshi...

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I'm a massive slowpoke for missing this
Awesome trailer there!
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Aginor

• Spelljammer
are strakha capable of atmospheric flying?

There was a discussion about capability for atmospheric flight some time ago at the CIC forums, and judging by all sources we came to the conclusion that every fighter in Wing Commander is capable of atmospheric flight, no problem.

The fact that you could only fly the excalibur on such missions in WC3 and the CGI contains only hellcats was that there wasn't enough space on the discs for all the CGI you would have needed (for the cutscenes entering the atmosphere and leaving it). They even changed the Arrows flying over the Concordia in the intro into Hellcats so players won't ask why they can't fly an Arrow in the ground missions.

The only strange thing is the weapons: They say that meson guns (and I think lasers, too) are ineffective in atmospheres, yet the only pure atmospheric fighter in the game carries only those weapons. That's a little flaw.

But flight itself: No problem. Looking into the books and the "Academy" animated series you will notice that almost every fighter is mentioned doing atmospheric missions. Even the really not very aerodynamic Paktahn bomber is seen doing atmospheric flight, in the "bad ending" cutscene of WC3  over earth.
Member of the Scooby Doo model Fanclub "verticies and splines are the medium and he is the artist."

There was a discussion about capability for atmospheric flight some time ago at the CIC forums, and judging by all sources we came to the conclusion that every fighter in Wing Commander is capable of atmospheric flight, no problem.

Do you mean, every fighter fighter in every Wing Commander ? Or just pre-WC4 ? Because I recall that the Hellcat, Vindicator and Dragon were the only fighters you could fly that were capable of atmospheric flight back then (which pissed me off because I wasn't really fond of Hellcats and Vindicators).

Offline Aginor

• Spelljammer
Ok, I'll explain a little further:

We have to see two things separate: The games and the lore behind it.
The reason why you can only fly four ships in atmosphere (Hellcat V, Excalibur, Vindicator, Dragon) was limited space on the game discs and limited budget for all those fancy cutscenes the guys at Origin would have had to make. Remember that WC4 was one of the most expensive games of all time. They didn't want to spend even more. WC3 wasn't cheap, either. And it had only 4 discs. So they decided that you could only fly some ships.

I'm quoting LOAF now, for the list of ships:

Wing Commander:
Scimitar - Engage in atmospheric combat on WCA.
Rapier II - Ground support at Vukar Tag in End Run.
Dralthi - Bombs Hurricane in WC1 cutscene.
Dralthi II - Lands on Firekka in Freedom Flight.
Krant - Atmospheric combat at Vukar Tag in End Run.

Wing Commander II:
Ferret - Lands on Ghorah Khar, Novaya Kiev in WC2.
Epee - Visible on ground bases in WC2.
Sabre - Ground support at Vukar Tag in End Run.
Broadsword - Attack Mylon in Wing Commander novelization.
Sartha - Atmospheric combat at Vukar Tag in End Run.
Grikath - Engage in atmospheric combat on WCA.
Jalkehi - Land on a planet in WCA.

Wing Commander III
Arrow - Launches from Sirius on WCA.
Hellcat - Option for atmospheric missions in WC4.
Longbow - Enters atmosphere on SAR mission on WCA.
Excalibur - Option for atmospheric missions in WC3.
Darket - Land on Nargrast in False Colors.
Dralthi IV - Fly into throne room in WC3 intro.
Vaktoth - Fly into Kilrah's atmosphere in WC3 novelization.
Paktahn - Fly over Capitol Building in WC3 losing endgame.
Bloodfang - Fly into Kilrah's atmosphere in WC3 novelization.
Ekapshi - Atmosphere-specific fighter.

Wing Commander IV
Vindicator - Option for atmospheric missions in WC4.
Lance - Option for atmospheric missions in WC4.

I think he missed only one fighter in the list, the Jalthi. It is seen in Freedom Flight over Firekka.

And apart from fighters I think we see a shuttle landing in atmosphere, so although it doesn't look very capable of atmospheric flight it does. And of course the Marines dropship. can land on planets, otherwise it would be pretty silly.

Concerning weapons, I quote LOAF again:
The three guns that aren't effective in an atmosphere, per Victory Streak, are the Laser Cannon, Meson Blaster and Particle Cannon.

... except the atmosphere-only Ekapshi mounts Mesons and Lasers in WC3 and the Hellcat uses Particle Cannons in WC4.

I think that in that case the person who designed the manual mentioned a planned feature that was dropped during the development of the game and wasn't taken out of the manual.
(Similar things happen in a lot of SciFi. If you are a Star Trek fan you might have noticed the inconsistency that they tell you impulse drives don't work in atmosphere (Kira tells you in DS9 somewhere), yet you see ships using the impulse drive in atmospheres in a lot of cases during the series.)

So you see there are a few inconsistencies. Someone also pointed out that in WC4 the mechanic (Pliers) mentions sometimes when clicking on the Vindicator that it is the only one capable of atmospheric flight. But even in that game it is shown that he is wrong, so that is likely to be an error. (Yet there is the possibility that the Bashee really isn't capable of atmospheric flight, and Piers means that of the Borderlands ships the Vindicator is the only one. Quite a stretch, though, I think it is an error.)

Ok, having said that: Take a look at those ships that we are sure to be capable of atmospheric flight.
If all those ships can do it, why shouldn't others? I mean: Some of them don't even have wings and are quite small. We know that they can stand earth gravity and pressure because we see them all land inside the carriers on the flight decks when there are people around.
And if a Paktahn (which is as aerodynamically shaped as a brick) can fly over earth, why shouldn't a Thunderbolt or a Strakha be able to do that as well?

So I come to the following conclusion:
While we don't have proof that Strakhas or Hornets for example are capable of atmospheric flight, it is rather likely, because there are other similar shaped fighters that we know are capable of it.
Member of the Scooby Doo model Fanclub "verticies and splines are the medium and he is the artist."

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
To qoute a Pilot or a mechanic I once heard "If the engine is strong enough even a brick can fly" ^_^
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline Talon 1024

• How do you turn this on?
    • Mods, Games, and Stuff
I think the Hornet and Rapier II-G can be added to that list.  Hornets in False Colors flew down to Baka Kar and attacked an enemy air base, and I think the Rapier II-G was seen landing on a planetary air base in WC2.
To understand religion, you need to understand morality first. | WCSaga website | WCSaga Forum | 158th website | 158th forum | Project Leader: WC: Hostile Frontier | WCHF Thread at CIC | Wing Blender | Twist of Fate | Multipart turrets on angled surfaces, tutorial included. | My Google Drive stuff | To convert speeds from WC to WCS, multiply both the cruise speed and the Afterburner speed by 0.15625 (5/32)

FS2 Mods I'm waiting on: Inferno 10th Anniversary
Current Project: Contestant Android app, Learn4Life iOS app, Blender Commander (importer).
The FreeSpace Font Foundry is back in action!

Offline starlord

Question then, out of curiosity: What could be the reasons for the ekapshi to be atmospheric only?