Author Topic: New installer?  (Read 12361 times)

Offline wesp5

0rph3u5 said that I should post here about details. I don't really know how the main TBP installer is handled, like whether it checks OS details or writes into the registry, but Zathras and the later engine builds are just file archives that could be easily be added on top using a custom installer with OAL installed by the same one too. If the TBP main installer just needs to move a batch of files as well, one could join all of it together without much changes, maybe offering a basic option of installing TBP 3.4b and a plus option installing Zathras and newer builds.

I don't know if the included campaigns are part of the deal with IPAndrews, but if they are not, I would suggest to only include MAG's Star Fury missions, because they offer a much more varied approach to show off the game than the two campaigns and would keep the main TBP installer small and dedicated and easier to update. I would then suggest to offer a big campaign package including all the current available campaigns in one big installer and it would be really cool if someone could finish the Earth Minbari war to be more than a "demo" campaign!

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
You could PM or e-mail hip63 and ask nicely if he could update his installer.

Offline wesp5

You could PM or e-mail hip63 and ask nicely if he could update his installer.

So did he create the main TBP installer or the DVD version? I did understand Orph3u5 in such a way, that a new TBP/DVD version with updated Zathras and campaigns should be released in the wake of Diaspora to renew the attention for the mod...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
DVD version.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Maybe it is actually time to do that... Fortune Hunters voice acting has not gone forward for 3 months now and I am kind off pissed.
A new DVD with TBP, the new Zathras and just a few campaigns on it. (Achen Schooling Flight, Raider Wars, Earth-Minbari-War-Demo and The Relic would be my picks)
Maybe even using 3.6.14, depending on the compatibility. I'll talk about this with FUBAR.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline wesp5

I would put everything on it that fits :). Fortune Hunter of course and also the cool Shadows and Vorlon mini campaigns and the Star Fury missions. And don't forget to include OAL too...

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
did understand Orph3u5 in such a way, that a new TBP/DVD version with updated Zathras and campaigns should be released in the wake of Diaspora to renew the attention for the mod...

that was more Karajorma's suggestion than mine ... credit where credit is due

Maybe even using 3.6.14, depending on the compatibility. I'll talk about this with FUBAR.

I was actually on my way to ask some questions on the state of Zathras ... but you go ahead, as I understand you two had some plans I don't know about

I don't know if the included campaigns are part of the deal with IPAndrews, but if they are not, I would suggest to only include MAG's Star Fury missions, because they offer a much more varied approach to show off the game than the two campaigns and would keep the main TBP installer small and dedicated and easier to update. I would then suggest to offer a big campaign package including all the current available campaigns in one big installer

That sounds reasonable...

and it would be really cool if someone could finish the Earth Minbari war to be more than a "demo" campaign!

Let's get this on road first and then once there is a unified opinion what players should or shouldn't have we can tackle this

On a side node - maybe more for future Zathras releases than this - wouldn't support for the wxlauncher be a good idea? (I could do that, I think)
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline wesp5

Let's get this on road first and then once there is a unified opinion what players should or shouldn't have we can tackle this.

I can think about two ways. The easy one would be to create a new installer that just includes the TBP 3.4b installer, the OAL installer (don't forget this), the latest Zathras and launcher files, the latest working engine builds and as many campaigns as would fit on one DVD. When installing the user would then get to select a "basic" version (including only TBP and OAL) or a "plus" version (including Zathras with new engines) and optional as many campaigns as he wants.

The harder way would be to extract TBP 3.4b and wrap the contents up into a new installer, maybe replacing the included campaigns with MAG's single missions to get all of the campaigns into one section, and then include OAL, Zathras and the engine builds into this as well, either as "basic" / "plus" version like above or all in one updated file.

I would recommend to call both ways TBP 3.5 because 3.4b always gives the impression to me it was still beta ;)! Oh, and I would also like to see the Earth/Minbari DEMO campaign renamed into MINI campaign on that occasion, because it isn't a demo anymore!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 06:24:46 am by wesp5 »

Offline Vidmaster

hm, cannot contact FUBAR.

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline 0rph3u5

I can think about two ways. The easy one would be to create a new installer that just includes the TBP 3.4b installer, the OAL installer (don't forget this), the latest Zathras and launcher files, the latest working engine builds and as many campaigns as would fit on one DVD. When installing the user would then get to select a "basic" version (including only TBP and OAL) or a "plus" version (including Zathras with new engines) and optional as many campaigns as he wants.

That would be the simplest way ...

I have point out though that the installer would require an option to upgrade the existing installation ... if that is remotely doable

I would recommend to call both ways TBP 3.5
[...]
Oh, and I would also like to see the Earth/Minbari DEMO campaign renamed into MINI campaign on that occasion, because it isn't a demo anymore!

Both would be crossing the line drawn at the final release ... and we should not disturb that hornets' nest for a re-release ...
However just leaving a version number out and just say "it is TBP Final" would be acceptable wordplay I guess (yeah that's terribly picky but considering the alternative of having another ...er time like you-know-when-what-happened)
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

Offline wesp5

Both would be crossing the line drawn at the final release ... and we should not disturb that hornets' nest for a re-release ...

How about TBP Zathras Edition 3.5? Naming the next Zathras version 3.5 instead of 3.0 is the trick ;)!

However just leaving a version number out and just say "it is TBP Final" would be acceptable wordplay I guess...

But that would imply this would indeed be the last version of TBP and I don't think this will be true :).

Offline Whitelight

• Thing, man like
What would be the system specs.. to run this, and would any major changes take place to tables and models.
Im still running a 2.8 gh single core rig. is why im asking.
Been wanting a new rig, but have other obligations for the time being.

Anyway its good to hear from the (tbp) team.  ;)
Simpicity of character is the natural resualt of profound thought

Offline 0rph3u5

What would be the system specs.. to run this, and would any major changes take place to tables and models.

Anyway its good to hear from the (tbp) team.  ;)

No major changes to tables etc. will take place as these rules (should) remain unvioltated

The following system requirements will remain:

Minimum System Requirements:

Pentium 3 600 MHz or AMD equivalent
256 MB RAM
Microsoft Windows 98/ME/2000/XP/Vista (compatible with 64-bit)
DirectX compatible 3D hardware accelerator card with HT&L Support
DirectX compatible 16-bit or higher sound card
2 gigbytes hard drive space (2.9 gigbytes with Campaign Pack installed)
Joystick or GamePad Recommended
DirectX 8.1 or higher
OpenAL 1.1 or higher

Including newer FS_Open builds and the required files to make all the new features work may increase these requirments but their use is optional; also you must know that most features can be turn off in the launcher to improve performance

==================

Offline Whitelight

• Thing, man like
Thanks for the quick reply Orph3u5.
No major changes then, thats good to hear.
Simpicity of character is the natural resualt of profound thought

Offline wesp5

So what happens now? Has FUBAR been reached? Is a new installer in the works?

Offline Vidmaster

Nobody has been able to contact FUBAR. Neither Hip, creator of the last DVD release. Since I am in favor of a new installer and no one is there to oppose me (muhahaha) I'd say we should do it.

I really like wesp's "Zathras Edition" idea which allows for a proper new naming convention system without spoiling the old TBP version system.
My propose the following path of action:

- we wait for 3.6.14
- we test current Zathras with 3.6.14
- we select a few quality, voice-acted campaigns other than EMWD and RaiderWars (asking the creators of course)
- we test the selected campaigns with 3.6.14
- we build a new installer (and also a new DVD image, in case people ask for one).

What I really want to do is to clean up the whole TBP installation process. No more countless options, lots of files, Zathras updates, campaigns etc to worry about. I am aiming for a clean and simple release. If one wants more campaigns and stuff, you may always visit the forums but for this release, I would TPB to look the best it can in said release edition.

That is my plan. Please comment. TBP has been put into the hands of the fans, FUBAR and me were never supposed to be more than guardians. I will not do anything that meets with massive objection.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Why the hell would you use 3.6.14?

Go with trunk. It's better in every way. :p

I'm still in favour of a whole new release but a Zathras edition would be a good compromise.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Some people that don't go to IRC don't know it, so it may be better to spell it out loud : .14. is. utterly. outdated now. There has been discussion that .14 development may stop altogether to focus on trunk and eventually 3.7.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grĂ¢ce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline wesp5

I don't know what trunk is or which engine will be the best, but other than that I am all for vidmasters concept!

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Trunk is basically the "current" version of FS2_Open, where active development is taking place.  When the SCP team gets ready for an official version release, the code is branched off at that point, to make sure that the official release is as stable and bug-free as possible.  Unfortunately, the cycle for the next official version, 3.6.14, has taken much longer than usual for a number of reasons, so there's a whole bunch of newer stuff in trunk that doesn't exist in the official release branch.