Author Topic: I volunteer!  (Read 2074 times)

I volunteer as tribute moderator. We're looking for volunteers, yeah?

I'm not quite as active as I once was, but still find time to keep gendisc and gaming discussion clear of unread stuff, almost daily. I won't expect to handle everything, and I'm not on 24 hours, but I can be an extra pair of reliable eyes on two or three boards.

Qualifications: I don't cause disturbances (generally), I can see problems brewing and know how to keep myself out of them, and take great pride in my communication skills. I've also been on official anti-spambot patrol over at game-warden for a few years.

Thanks for the consideration.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I'm not quite as active as I once was, but still find time to keep gendisc and gaming discussion clear of unread stuff, almost daily.
No kidding?  That's not too common, at least in my experience.

Qualifications: I don't cause disturbances (generally), I can see problems brewing and know how to keep myself out of them, and take great pride in my communication skills. I've also been on official anti-spambot patrol over at game-warden for a few years.
Hmm.  Well, I can't promise you anything, but I'll think about it. :)  At the very least, I'll discuss it with a few other moderators.

I'm also wondering if this will turn into a free-for-all rush for moderating positions.  I don't think so, but you never know. :p

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
I'm also wondering if this will turn into a free-for-all rush for moderating positions.  I don't think so, but you never know. :p

Frankly, that's one of the best things that could happen.

And since I'm being somewhat vocal in the other thread, I'll put my money where my mouth is - if you guys decide to actually try shifting the workload around and adding more moderators, I'll volunteer too.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
I volunteer for more moderation duties, too. FRED Discussion is a rather tame board, but if moderators are needed elsewhere I'd be happy to help.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Can one volunteer not to be a moderator, then? ;P

Seriously, though, I actually considered volunteering (since my most recent lurking period came to an end, I read every new post, or try to), but I've had difficulties remaining impartial in discussions I've participated in before (although it was years ago on an IRC channel and not on a forum), so I think I'd rather just stay out of this one.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Reading every post is easy. Not going mad is the tricky bit.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Reading every post is easy. Not going mad is the tricky bit.
You mean it's possible not to go mad reading these forums? I... I never knew.  :nervous:
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken