Author Topic: Uncompressed and pre-PBR textures.  (Read 1365 times)

Offline EatThePath

• Laser Lich
    • Twitter
Uncompressed and pre-PBR textures.
Lately I've been dabbling in giving old assets a facelift, both in terms of getting pre-PBR ships to look a bit better in PBR and in taking advantage of newly supported better DDS versions to reduce compression artifacts. Both of these benefit from having access to the uncompressed, PNG or TGA texture files rather than the DDS files. Do these still exist for any of the older ships?
Name your damn turrets and sounds! Numbers alone aren't helpful!
"if disco is dead then I am the laser lich"
"...[Warmachine] keeps changing as fast as EatThePath can force the engine to do his dark bidding..."

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Re: Uncompressed and pre-PBR textures.
We have SourceFiles folder on our SVN, but it's quite messy. Lots of ships have complete source files, others have partial and others have none.

I can ask Mjn if I can share those with ya.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline EatThePath

• Laser Lich
    • Twitter
Thanks. For what I'm doing in the immediate term, saved out flat diffuses in a lossless format are more useful to me than psds if they already exist, but I should be able to use psds so long as no compatibility bitrot has struck them, and they might be useful down the road.
"...[Warmachine] keeps changing as fast as EatThePath can force the engine to do his dark bidding..."

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Random thought - has anyone tried using AI upscaling? I have seen some fairly impressive results in other games. This article has some good examples: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pcgamer.com/amp/AI-upscale-mod-list/
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline EatThePath

• Laser Lich
    • Twitter
Something like that may or may not be useful for FSU in general, but for this specific task it'd take a very particularly trained AI to do the job well.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I doubt if it's gonna be useful for FSU. Majority of our assets are remodelled, and comes with unique UV layout. Any vanilla maps upscaled by the AI would not fit to our current assets, therefore we rely on our artists and 3rd party contributors for texture creation.

I personally would like to have vanilla textures in 2k or 4k for kitbashing purposes :]. Dark slav modelling rituals always demands new input of fresh meat from the outside.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.