Author Topic: Recommended Free Software for DVD-Ripping  (Read 6284 times)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Recommended Free Software for DVD-Ripping
So I am still working to upgrade Den5's "In The Beginning" campaign for TBP, and I'd like to include some additional head anis, which will involve extracting them from the DVD.  Since some of you out there seem to have experience in doing this, given that TBP already has some show-extracted head anis included, what software combinations would you all recommend to do this?  I'd likely need one piece of software to rip the video, and another to edit it down the piece I need, and crop it to the proper size.  Keep in mind, I have never done this before, so any tips and shortcuts would be appreciated.  Furthermore, might be easier to find some mkv copy of the show on Bittorrent and work with that?  I'd still need the editor software for that though.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Re: Recommended Free Software for DVD-Ripping
For Ripping Handbrake comes into mind. That is a powerful tool in this regard.

Can not tell much about Freeware Video Editing Tools, though.
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Well, I tried Handbreak, but it wouldn't handle the copyright software.  I then decided to download the video from BitTorrent, and try to find a freeware video editor, but I have yet to achieve success.  I tried LosslessCut and OpenShot, but couldn't get them to do what I wanted.  I'll keep searching, but if anyone has any ideas, please share.  I'd prefer free or free-trial software.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
I ripped all of my B5 DVDs years ago using Handbrake without issue. I did use a non-free version with the DVD decryption code in it though and I'm not sure if that's still required.

For the bit of editing you need I'd probably recommend Avidemux. It's a transcoder with some basic editing features and includes some filters, like crop, which should do what you want without being particularly complicated.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Thanks, but in the Video editor end of things, after posting that, I did some more browsing and found VSDC Free Video Editor, with which I achieved success in splicing out a video segment and eventually resizing it to the dimensions needed.  Now, I just need a bit of time to find the segments that I need and split them out too.

Offline BugMeNot

• I'm a throwaway account. My users may behave unpredictably. Read with caution.
  • One Account, Many Users
Regarding the riping part, I had great success with Movavi because it's very intuitive, and it was very easy for me to split and resize all. It also has some automated features that will make your process very smooth.

Read this article to find out more about all it's features + there are described other alternatives to use that might be handy.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Thanks, but I've mostly finished that aspect of my TBP upgrade.  The video files have been found, extracted, downsized, and separated into individual images.  They've since been sent off and compiled into the ani files that I needed, but I'll need to redo some of them, as they're dark and have a limited gradient.  When I'm ready, I'll take the images files and adjust their contrast and brightness, then send them off for recompilation, should I be able to get assistance from my 'guy' who did them the first time.  I'm working on other aspects of the upgrade at the moment, though.