Author Topic: Star Citizen  (Read 7709 times)

Yeah well when you promise to deliver a game on an "estimated" timeframe that is so specific as NOVEMBER 2014, I tend to make the wild (I know, I know!) amazing deduction that they are actually speaking of a "delivery date".

Crazy, right? I mean, it's the land-of-the-insane kinda judgement, amirite?

An estimation is not a promise.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yes, it is. For kickstarter, your estimated delivery date should at least approach your actual delivery date. Overruns can happen, and are usually not a big deal, especially for runaway successes like SC, but then it becomes absolutely critical to communicate to backers why the delays have happened. With SC, the true believers are willing to forgive all overruns and indeed throw more money at them, despite CIG consistently underdelivering. That sort of attitude is really rather strange.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Luis Dias

Yeah well when you promise to deliver a game on an "estimated" timeframe that is so specific as NOVEMBER 2014, I tend to make the wild (I know, I know!) amazing deduction that they are actually speaking of a "delivery date".

Crazy, right? I mean, it's the land-of-the-insane kinda judgement, amirite?

An estimation is not a promise.

I will forever remember this reply of yours whenever I want to feel less dumb. Always. Let me save it on my Evernote.... and done.

Offline kode

• The Swedish Chef
  • The Swede
    • http://theswe.de
Well, word on the street is that if you wise up after throwing $2500 at star ****izen, you kind of might have a chance to get a refund now. or well, at least one guy did, and he only had to involve the attorney general.

That said, an estimate can be a promise, and I would say it can be considered one in this case, especially adjunct with their ToS (which I believe they conveniently changed later?).
Pray, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy.
- Ambrose Bierce
<Redfang> You're almost like Stryke 9 or an0n
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."
- Aldous Huxley
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Yes, it is. For kickstarter, your estimated delivery date should at least approach your actual delivery date. Overruns can happen, and are usually not a big deal, especially for runaway successes like SC, but then it becomes absolutely critical to communicate to backers why the delays have happened. With SC, the true believers are willing to forgive all overruns and indeed throw more money at them, despite CIG consistently underdelivering. That sort of attitude is really rather strange.

What I find strange is the insistence to turn any Star Citizen thread into a 4chan style hellhole. I very much doubt that is going to change opinions (or atleast, not about Star Citizen :blah:).
Again, not arguing with you there: the devs should never been handed that crazy amount of money nor, recognizing that such an amount of money was probably inevetable considering, should the devs have put that budget to this product (but rather sink that money into sequels instead).

Well, word on the street is that if you wise up after throwing $2500 at star ****izen, you kind of might have a chance to get a refund now. or well, at least one guy did, and he only had to involve the attorney general.

That said, an estimate can be a promise, and I would say it can be considered one in this case, especially adjunct with their ToS (which I believe they conveniently changed later?).

I kinda wanted to go deeper in on that, because it looks like this was just a "Look just leave us alone" down payment rather then the guy who pulled it off having an amount of legal backing, but blergh.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Not a cult

:wtf:
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I wish freespace threads would get this many posts and activity.
Urutorahappī!!

I wish freespace threads would get this many posts and activity.

That would require you getting a 100 million dollars first.

... Wings of Dawn does make for one hell of a kickstarter pledge.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ

Fund me
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Luis Dias

Fund me

No way, that's too cheap man. I'm highly skeptical whenever I see sales like these, I always wonder what info are these guys not really saying about their product, you know?

Offline kode

• The Swedish Chef
  • The Swede
    • http://theswe.de

:shaking:

oh **** he's probably gonna die. I feel I shall be bereft of my popcorn when the worst zealots kill themselves out of despair over how much they overhyped the game for themselves. Unless none does, of course, in which I shall of course reach a higher plane of existence due to schadenfreude alone.
Pray, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy.
- Ambrose Bierce
<Redfang> You're almost like Stryke 9 or an0n
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."
- Aldous Huxley
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
See you in the hearse, commando!
Urutorahappī!!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I think that's enough for this topic then.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns