Author Topic: [RELEASE] Diaspora: Shattered Armistice v1.0 (Windows, Mac & Linux)  (Read 856245 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: [RELEASE] Diaspora: Shattered Armistice
Hey SL, how are you? Long time, no see.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

hey mate! yeah long time, i've been very busy as you might expect...^_^
How are you guys doin'? hope to see you all on multiplayer games! ;)
Again, congrats to ya all for releasing the game, so proud! honest!

Offline newman

You know, in case you decide to be a part of it again, we're still here working on the next one :)
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

:) thanx dude, thats nice to hear! i'll try to get a little something done with max, since we're good friend...just need to find the time to do so! ^_^

Offline cio

I gave Diaspora a try yesterday. Everything in the game looks and feels highly professional. I loved the voice acting, 3d models and textures really look nice. Congrats.

I used to be an ardent fan of BSG, but my enthusiasm declined after I witnessed its slow degeneration into a space opera with unnecessary mysticism and silly religious conundrums, political cameo references to recent wars, and especially when the complete cast started developing severe symptoms of a hamlet-esque "to be or not to be cylon" neurosis..

What I liked about the show was the gritty realism of survival against a military superior enemy in the first season. And the game captures the essence of it very well.

pros:
-Gameplay without shields makes things refreshingly more realistic.
-Voice acting
-Landing

cons:
-I'd like to see different narratives explored than just "play hide and seek with the cylons"
-Landing: Took a while until I figured it out.
-Few types of missiles
-The player character's personality is not present anywhere. He/She is just a human/cylon war machine?

I suppose this release aims at a very canonical experience. If someone takes the artistic liberties and courage to go beyond this, there could be more extremely enjoyable battle scenarios apart from battlestar vs. basestar like cylons vs shivans or blue planet :D

I compiled the linux release and it seems I am the only one with this bug in M6, which makes the mission impossible to finish. ::

Spoiler:
When the Theseus makes its last stand against the basestars, it was at 20%. I continued to frantically shoot down missiles and raiders, until I noticed it is actually invulnerable and its integrity will never drop below 16!!
I stopped protecting it and hid at a safe distance, watching it take out one basestar at dreamy slow pace. Then... the invulnerable Theseus engages the other basestars, despite its heavy pounding; a scenario that looks like setting up an invulnerable frigate against a Sathanas..
After multiple restarts, I cheated myself unlimited weapons and nuked the basestars with a rain of N3 bombs. One of them won't go below 61%. So how am I supposed to complete a mission with an invulnerable Theseus and an invulnerable basestar matching each other for all eternity... ?

Offline newman

cons:
-I'd like to see different narratives explored than just "play hide and seek with the cylons"
-Few types of missiles
-The player character's personality is not present anywhere. He/She is just a human/cylon war machine?

All of these can be answered with a single - "this is just the first release". Each release will introduce more stuff, allowing us to do longer campaigns, which will in turn allow us to do more with the story. There's only so much you can do with a 6 mission campaign. Thanks for the feedback, though, and I'm glad you enjoyed the game!
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel

heya skull! You are alive! ...and well i hope.
I hope we can arrange a few games in the next weeks...it's been ages since you hunted me across Scars Playground.  :)

Is there a keypress other than target padlock view that lets me look around the inside of my cockpit?  TrackIR isn't doable for obvious reasons and the FreeTrack handbook is refusing to download.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
cio, your bug should be fixed in patch 1.0.2.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline newman

Is there a keypress other than target padlock view that lets me look around the inside of my cockpit?  TrackIR isn't doable for obvious reasons and the FreeTrack handbook is refusing to download.

Other than "look left-right-up-down", unfortunately no. I've just tried downloading the freetrack handbook and it works great, though, might want to try again.

I normally check everything daily and work has had me running!  GAH! I can't believe I missed this till today!!!!!!!!! (download faster!!!) :)

heya skull! You are alive! ...and well i hope.
I hope we can arrange a few games in the next weeks...it's been ages since you hunted me across Scars Playground.  :)

Hey mate! yes i'm aliiive!!! ^_^ good to hear from you too! yep i guess we could arrange a few games dude! ;)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 12:04:56 pm by skull leader »

Offline BugMeNot

• I'm a throwaway account. My users may behave unpredictably. Read with caution.
  • One Account, Many Users
Hello,

my name is Christoph from the PlayDeb project and I try to build a Debian package for the Ubuntu gaming site playdeb.net .

The compilation succeeded so far after applying this patch:
http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=0ERmT9h5

The folder in the ini file is set to folder=/usr/share/games/diaspora because this is where the data files are installed.
Unfortunately, the game tries to write in this directory which obviously does not work.
Would it be possible to define a seperate configuration directory which should be $HOME/.config/diaspora ?
This is a blocker because I do not want to copy the entire 3gig data directory to the user's home directory.

If you have an account on Launchpad you can comment directly there:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/getdeb.net/+bug/1046551

Thanks
Christoph

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Which files specifically is the engine/wxLauncher trying to write to in the data directory?  The engine should already write to ~/.fs2_open and wxLauncher should write to ~/.wxLauncher.  The only thing that I can think of that would write to the game data directory is wxLauncher when trying to write to <datadir>/data/cmdline_fso.cfg.  This is a known issue for wxLauncher and is being tracked by by wxLauncher bug number 93.

I will see what I can do when I get home.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Other than "look left-right-up-down", unfortunately no. I've just tried downloading the freetrack handbook and it works great, though, might want to try again.
Yeah, I just tried a re-download and it works fine.  I've acquired a webcam and I'm in the process of building the LED array for a 3-points-cap model.  Diaspora will be the first game I test it with. :nod:
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

After taking a while to play through this several times, I figured it was time to give my two cents on this:

First of all, major props to the entire dev team. You truly created the Battlestar Galactica experience so many have tried and failed to. In particular I'd like to thank those responsible for the voice acting assets, as that is what truly sold this like no other FreeSpace mod has, in my opinion, ever done. At the very first launch tube sequence, thanks to both the voice and sound assets, I had totally bought into the illusion. Masterful job guys, truly masterful.

Now for what you've all been waiting for, and what I somewhat grudgingly do: the constructive criticism. My largest gripe would have to be the role of missiles within the game, specifically anti-fighter missiles and nukes.

Firstly, the Viper's anti-fighter missiles (I forget the name at the time) are virtually ineffective at their purpose. Their flight performance is precisely what should be expected and produced in a missile (again props to the team for the flight models), but the warhead is akin to throwing a stone at a tank. If a few rounds can bring down a Raider, I would suspect a high explosive warhead detonating right against the hull would have a rather drastic and commonly fatal effect. However, every time I bother to fire a missile, I at most get ~10-30%, at the most 40%, return in hull damage on the target. With missile range so limited, its a infinitely more efficient use of my time to simply use guns and move on to the next toaster.

As for nukes, this is mainly an implementation issue. Having the nukes appear exactly the same as normal missiles visually is perfect and introduces a tenseness to the gameplay, but it is often extremely difficult to sort through the mostly harmless missile spam to find the one nuke you're hunting. I'm not sure its possible to assign them a higher priority when using the B key, but it would be appreciated.
Lastly, in the current version nukes simply aren't nukes. They're fancy heavy torpedoes. I see a nuke about to impact a ship, I expect a large flash and shockwave, and likely significant damage to the target ship. If a nuke can crack Galactica's flight pods with a direct hit, I again expect to see some damage accomplished. Instead, there's a teeny little bang, virtually no different from any other torpedo, with modestly more damage. It creates a very underwhelming melodrama that detracts from the thrill of needing to eliminate these missiles. Nukes are meant to be scary, and at the moment they simply aren't. Personally I would recommend upping the damage they do while decreasing the number fired in order to balance the tradeoff, but this is again my opinion.

I respect that I am in no means an expert, merely a humble fan, but I think it's always a good idea to throw my ideas out there. Let me reiterate on my initial words, and say that these comments are in no way a detraction from the dev team and what they've created. Shattered Armistice is, as it stands, still an amazing experience that can only get better.

(tl;dr, fighter missiles wimpy, so are nukes, awesome job guys)
'yo my domestic skillets, who put swarm torpedoes on the Tev bombers?'
~Nighteyes

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Nuclear missiles do exactly that, they create a large flash. Nuke damage has been intentionally reduced in R1 so that players aren't frustrated by quickly losing ships due to persistent damage.

Also, when it comes to bomb damage you're up against several kilometer long ships that in-show shrug off external nukes and missiles.

Quite a bit of thought went into getting the balance right on these, and it's probably not going to be something to change in the second release minus people getting a better feel for nuke damage by having more missions where you can quickly take out Cylon targets.

Having some new, small, ships will also help out a bit in making the weapons feel more powerful. The Tercio bomb for instance is only useful against frigates and civilians for the time being since it's meant for light capships.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

I was amazed at how the team was able to reproduce the nuke detonation effect from the show. If you go back and watch the show you'll realize they nailed it. I'd also like to say I think the planetside detonations were a real nice touch.
Did you hear that fellas? She says I have a Meritorious Unit.

Strange. After playing quite a while I've never seen that flash despite playing the Basestar assault mission several times. Well consider that bit retracted then, I'll do a bit more investigating.

Also, yes, I expected the planetside detonations to be a simple background change, but the effect was a very nice touch.
'yo my domestic skillets, who put swarm torpedoes on the Tev bombers?'
~Nighteyes

Offline Madcat

Finally finished my first playthrough on the new PC today!

You guys were right, the Theseus flak screen is way more effective at smooth framerates. I also happened to score way better against the toasters.
And now the game looks beyond awesome... absolutely mindblowing in fact!  :yes:

Also some really special moments were had this time as well:  :cool:
Spoiler:
I just happened to fly right above the Theseus in M6 when it started launching nukes mere meters away from me... oh boy, what a sight!