Author Topic: Diaspora  (Read 55418 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

Welcome to the Diaspora forum!

Many of you have probably noticed the appearance of a new project badge a couple of days ago, along with a lack of answers and knowing smiles from those sporting them.  Some of you may have even managed to piece together the secret of this new badge.

The secret we've been keeping is called Diaspora.

Diaspora is the name of a new Battlestar Galactica mod created in the FS2_Open engine.  As you may have noticed, many of the people with the new badge are people who were once on the Beyond the Red Line team.  Sadly, the BtRL team split up four months ago, mostly over creative differences (We'll not go into this in any more detail.)  Although BtRL is still under developement, the majority of the team left in order to form Diaspora.

Diaspora is an original project using only assets made by members of the new team, and is based on the space combat seen in the Battlestar Galactica series.  Our main focus is on creating a faithful and exciting representation which will fulfill the wants and needs of all those looking for a great multi-player or single-player experience. 

The team will use its experience and knowledge in many aspects of game design to bring you, the player, the best game possible.  That is our commitment to you.  The Diaspora team consists of many former members of the BtRL team, including myself, Ace, Axem, DaBrain, Lt.Cannonfodder, Meleardil, Newman, Speedy (Mr R), Shiv, Turambar, Unknown Target, Wanderer, Wildcard and WMCoolmon.  In addition, we've added several other members to the team.  Some you'll know from other projects on HLP, while others are newcomers eager to share their experience with us.

I'm sure that some of the fans of BtRL have taken the news of the break up poorly.  However, there's nothing to be upset about.  Indeed, the break up was a set back in many ways, but it also opened up a lot of unexpected doors.  We are confident that we can get our first release out reasonably soon.  Of course, some things will be different from what you've seen already in the BtRL demo, but given the vast experience behind this new mod, it'll be nothing for the fans to worry about.  We'll be delivering many of the things you remember from before, jaw-dropping visuals and the fast paced Viper combat you've come to expect.

The website for the team many work in progress pictures for you to enjoy while you wait for release and is located here.

The website and FAQ posted on this forum should answer a lot of the questions about this mod.  Feel free to ask any questions about Diaspora that it doesn't answer. However, we cannot answer any questions about BtRL, as our information about that project is out of date and likely incorrect.

We know this has been a difficult time for some, but we promise that a release is coming soon, and it'll put those dark times out of your mind entirely.

Diaspora:
     1. A dispersion of a people from their original homeland. 
     2. The community formed by such a people.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Wait? The Galactica is going to be a new model? No Omniscaper Galactica? Anywho, should be cool.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I know it was something about Battlestar Galactica...what I didn't know is that the BtRL team split up, that's why I wondered if a new BSG mod was necessary.

I said you don't want to post the details of the split, but may I(we all?) know what were those creative differences about? Is BtRL going to lose momentum and delay its release? What is currently happening to BtRL?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I have no idea what is going on with BtRL. Omni seemed confident he could still release without those of us who left and I wish him luck.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
To be honest I think the BtRL forums on GW are...dying.

Who's in the BtRL team now? Omniscaper and...?

EDIT: The split implied that both sides got all models and textures?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
Wow, I knew things looked dead over there, but I didn't know the BTRL team split. Anywho guys, good luck, you also have my permission to use my Blackbird in any way you guys see fit.  ;)
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Wait - you modelled a Blackbird? Where is it?!?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
We're not going to release it on the forum! :p

It will be in a proper release. You might as well ask where is the Galactica or Pegasus! :p

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
My mistake, I thought the model was released separately for some reason :wtf:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline CKid

So is this going to follow the series or or are you guys planning something else? To tell you the truth I am a little speechless right now. I have been following BTRL since 2006, checking for updates almost every day, and then bam! this happens. I guess this answers my question on BTRL forums about ship models on their moddb page going missing, the people who created them switch to Diaspora.
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
I swear I found a few pics of original models on the internet. Something between the Mk II and VII was among them. Maybe it is going to be used in Diaspora?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
We'll be doing both canon and non-canon stuff much like the BtRL demo did. Our FREDders are just starting work on the missions for  our first release. More details on that will be coming soon. :)

Offline Meleardil

• Meleardil Eressea Iluvadan
I guess this answers my question on BTRL forums about ship models on their moddb page going missing, the people who created them switch to Diaspora.

Some of the pictures which remained on BtRL homepage and ModDB are about models also belonging to Diaspora members...as you will find out soon.
"I think it is impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves."
Speaker for the Dead

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
I'd be excited if it weren't for the really annoying introduction.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Why does this mod seem so elitist to me?
Donno...might just be because I got pissed off by the badge-teasing...
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline CKid

I swear I found a few pics of original models on the internet. Something between the Mk II and VII was among them. Maybe it is going to be used in Diaspora?

Yeah, I think it was called the mk5 or something like that.

Some of the pictures which remained on BtRL homepage and ModDB are about models also belonging to Diaspora members...as you will find out soon.

Let me see your cylon rezship.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 06:37:24 pm by CKid »
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1

Do I seem elite to you? :P

isn't it shiny :D

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Just out of curiosity, how'd you guys come up with the name "Diaspora"?  :)

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Yeah, I think it was called the mk5 or something like that.

You mean this one?