Author Topic: Impire  (Read 936 times)

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Bought this on Steam as it looked an interesting re-imagining of Dungeon Keeper. It's not too bad, though gameplay can get a little repetitive, it is still a better attempt than 'Dungeons' was in my opinion. You can train your creatures, and upgrade their armour etc, as well as form them into squads and send them on raids (though the raids themselves are a little underwhelming, since the best bet is just to do easy ones repeatedly and you'll have more resources than you could possibly need).

On the plus side, the game looks ok and plays well, no stability issues that I've encountered, the raids system adds an interesting way of gaining resources, the ability to evolve you main character is also interesting. The storyline is pretty well done in the 'Dungeon Keeper' style, and the squad system combined with teleporting means you can quite easily control your hoard.

On the minus side, the game can get repetitive, the digging/exploring aspect of the game is pretty much non-existent, it's more about making rooms for kitchens so you can feed several squads at once, and there's still not that feeling of 'nurturing' about your creatures that was present in DK, a level 3 Fighter feels like just a Level 1 Fighter that will take longer to die, there's nothing equivalent to seeing a Mistress hit level 4 and and laughing in glee as she starts hurling Lightning at the enemy ;)

All in all, an interesting game, it suffers a little bit from the 'Dungeons' disease of trying so hard not to be a DK clone that it actually loses part of that which made DK so good in the first place, but Impire is a far better stab at it.

http://www.paradoxplaza.com/games/impire

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Does it have first person combat mode?

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Sadly, no, the game is a step towards the more 'hands-on' approach with your creatures, but it's still not on a par with the original, no Slap, no Possess (at least at the stage I'm at, but I've seen no evidence of it), the RTS elements have been improved to a degree, with Teleporting replacing dropping units and the ability to set squads to patrol the Dungeon etc, but there's still a deal of character missing from the units themselves, both visually and statistically.

This may change at later stages of the game which I haven't reached yet, since you can unlock more 'demonic' creatures later, I'll probably update this thread as I get further into the game :)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 09:15:58 am by Flipside »