Author Topic: Solaris (A FreeSpace Open Total Conversion)  (Read 84287 times)

Offline Darius

Re: Solaris (A FreeSpace Open Total Conversion)
Let me repack the core files for you and I'll get back to you later today

Hi,

good to see HL up again. Any progress on this one? Doesnt work with 1.1.1 as well

THX
praseodym

Is the audio for the campaign start cinematic and the voiceovers during the first mission supposed to be so obnoxiously crackly and radio screechy? Am I experiencing an issue or is this a deliberate choice for some reason?

The voices themselves are rather stilted but the voice audio changing pitch, warbling and screeching is really irritating. How bad is short distance communication equipment expected to be in the distant future?

Edit: Listening to the specific audio files, it seems to be deliberate? Voices like Raptor and FedPilot with headache inducing audio fuzz and others without.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 01:19:43 pm by Chaotic Entropy »

Code: [Select]
LUA ERROR: [string "partCol-sct.tbm - On Frame"]:18: attempt to index field 'particleCollider' (a nil value)

------------------------------------------------------------------
ADE Debug:

stack traceback:
[C]: ?
[string "partCol-sct.tbm - On Frame"]:18: in main chunk

Any chance to get this resolved on Linux? Its Solaris 1.1.1

THX

As luck would have it I had this bug myself and found a resolution the other day: in Solaris/Solaris-1.1.1/data/tables, remove partCol-sct.tbm. It's a standalone table/script that only adds a visual effect, and Darius says it's slated for removal in future versions anyway.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

That worked, played 1st mission, thanks a ton.

Great mod, great atmosphere.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
So yeah, I wanted to play this, but the intro audio kept skipping and the text is invisible (just like with Wings of Dawn and a couple of other Freespace mods I tried), so I uninstalled it. I expect I'm gonna need a new computer (my laptop is at least 5 years old and my Radeon 7660g video card can't even run Star Wars Squadons :( ) before I can play some of the newer video games I got from Steam and GOG.

I still got plenty of old video games that I can spend time on until then, though. :cool:
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Runs great for me.  Just again wanted to thank Darius for forking out for the sheer volume of models and taking the time to process them.  It's astounding.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Just finished this bad boy!

After blood, sweat, and many digital tears, I finally finished Solaris. And boy, was that a ****ing good time! Darius certainly wasn't kidding about needing to unlearn everything you learnt about Freespace 2 combat thus far, and to be honest, it still ****s with my head a bit - but the gameplay and aesthetic are smooth, modern, and most importantly, incredibly fun to play. The UI has been almost totally overhauled and is absolutely gorgeous, the briefing method is new and something I've not seen before, and the inter-mission news reports were great value. And as with all of Darius's work, the soundtrack is pure gold and definitely adds to the feeling of devilish enjoyment the mod gives you with some Star Citizen level 6DOF - but without the 6 degrees of control mapping required to be playable.  For a first playthrough, I felt the game really made you work for every kill you got, and offers enough different ways to do things on the more challenging missions that the replay value is pretty high compared to the standard FS campaign. And of course, hats off to Darius for iron-manning a TC and totally nailing it. I was taken aback for the first few hours of playtime that one man was able to pull that whole thing together.

I still don't really feel like I understood what was going on at any level above a surface, mission-by-mission level, but I did also take about three separate periods spread out over twice as many months to actually finish it, which doesn't help. And also from reading the thread, I fully get that this was intended as a proof-of-concept more than anything, and in my experience of playing it, I sincerely believe it to have been proven here. Besides, the combat in the more hectic missions is basically the 21st Century equivalent of mainlining space crack, and I was way too busy just trying to survive to attempt to pick apart the universe.

So the point of all that? If you haven't played it yet, treat yourself and play it! Potentially with a beer between missions, potentially also turning the difficulty down about 2-3 notches below whatever you usually play to minimise tears and finger sweat. Great work Darius, can't wait for episode II.  :yes:

Offline Darius

Cheers for the review! Second the advice about a beer between levels 🍻

Don't worry too much about following the story, it should all be developed further and revisited in the second release. The next campaign won't have the same frantic energy as the first, instead focusing more on worldbuilding and hopefully letting the story develop more naturally.

Excellent work on this!
Love voiced campaigns, love the new ships and mechanics.
Might be a bit difficult at times but still enjoyable.
Looking forward to see new missions! :yes:

any word on when the next chapter will be released?

Offline Darius

Had to go back and redo a couple of the final missions but FREDing is pretty much all done. Just needs testing and polishing and maybe some cutscenes if I get time. Also need to finalise radar icons.

I won't give a release date estimate because I botched the last one so badly but should be pretty soon.

Is this a full act release or a director's cut?

Offline Iamzorg

Thank you Darius for this fantastic mod! I just registered on hard light to post this. Chris Roberts should talk to you about your flight model.

I really don't know how hard it would to port this to the Unreal engine, but I would love to see this made into a full game on Steam or Epic.

Offline Darius

Cheers, I haven't got plans to switch engines at all seeing how easy FreeSpace 2 modding is, but I wouldn't mind doing up a mod for Falling Frontier.

Is this a full act release or a director's cut?

Second act release with some more remastering of the first act.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
2nd act release, surely is worthy of a forum highlight?
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline Darius

It's not released yet!

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Ohhhhh,   only saying because I noticed an update last time I opened knossos 😂👍🏻
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.