Author Topic: Crysis psychics?  (Read 3215 times)

Offline nvsblmnc

• I'm a minefield of information.
Yes, I meant psychics, not physics.

I've been replaying Crysis with a slow-motion mod, and I've learned why so many of my beautifully crafted sniper attacks failed: the Koreans are psychic.

The setup:
I'm cloaked, prone on a hillside looking across a harbour at a sniper tower which is barely in range of the 10x scope. I line up my silenced SCAR and hit the slowmo.  In less than 1/3 of a second, I decloak, switch to strength mode, fire a round and cloak again, all the while in cover.

But the sniper, who was facing the other way ducks the instant my silenced weapon fires and a full 1/2 a second before the bullet hits the tower frame behind him.  :shaking:

He then returns fire, killing me instantly.

Has anyone else seen this behaviour or is something odd going on with my setup?
When the reactor explodes, it's usually a sign that you've taken too much damage.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
He was just bending over to tie his shoe. :p
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
So they are - apparently - cheating... Which is not exactly anything new in MP games.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
So they are - apparently - cheating... Which is not exactly anything new in MP games.
...you realize he's talking about singleplayer, right? :p

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Bah..  I have never cared about FPS games.

Well, then the AI cheats.. There is nothing new about that either. Just check IL-2 and the like.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
That's dumb.

Really. That's as stupid as a cat with a penis in its ear.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
It happens in CoD4 too, if you look hard enough you'll see the enemies use aimbot like the helicopters. Several times I have been sneaking up stairs only to have the enemy shoot me time I come out. You can also see the aimbot if you are fighting enemies follow me perfectly through boxes.  :p
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

That's certainly peculiar. I've never had that happen to me before. Maybe the slow-mo mod may have messed a bit with the AI, inadvertently?

Offline nvsblmnc

• I'm a minefield of information.
That's certainly peculiar. I've never had that happen to me before. Maybe the slow-mo mod may have messed a bit with the AI, inadvertently?
I don't think so - the slowmo is only a config file mapping the Q key to a console command to set the game speed multiplier to 0.3.

That's the only reason I've noticed - previously the recoil meant that I was looking at the sky by the time I realised my shot had missed.
When the reactor explodes, it's usually a sign that you've taken too much damage.

Mmm, perhaps the inbuilt AI routines automatically compensate for a lower time multiplier? I dunno, it's still odd either way. Never noticed the snipers ducking when I pull the trigger on their heads, they die quite compliantly.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
heh...

Crysis

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Necro:
:necro:

Rather than start another Thread.

I got the Demo the other day to see how it would run before purchase. (quite nicely ;D, autodetect high)
I dunno if the Demo is taken from the games opening level or not but i wasn't really "drawn in" It just reminded me of Farcry with a robosuit instead of naughty jungle venom...
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
All I have to say is that it is easy to make a perfect AI.  The hard part is getting it to make mistakes.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Surely you just "throw yourself into the beam"............

End of line
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Maybe its the mod you are playing with. I don't have that problem playing it unmodded.

Yeah, I've been playing Crysis and the AI, like everything other than the graphics, seems to have been given a lot less attention than it should. They notice you the minute you enter their cone of sight and not in heavy cover or cloaked, and have rediculously accurate aim. At least on Heroic (or whatever the second highest level is).

It also annoys me that it's got a relatively realistic weapons model coupled with the above and character movement from from Serious Sam.

(sorry for the slight necro)
Watch out for the Guns! They'll getcha!

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
It happens in CoD4 too, if you look hard enough you'll see the enemies use aimbot like the helicopters. Several times I have been sneaking up stairs only to have the enemy shoot me time I come out. You can also see the aimbot if you are fighting enemies follow me perfectly through boxes.  :p

Really? That's strange. I've always thought CoD4 was the best balanced in that regards of the CoD games so far. I've played through CoD4 on Hard, and 1 and 2 on easy. On 1 and 2, no matter how perfect your approach is it's impossible to sneak up on enemies. I could approach them from the opposite side of the line, with all of them firing at my other forces in the opposite direction, and instantly all of them would turn around to shoot me, even though I was still a good 15 meters away. But I didn't notice that in CoD4.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Having played through it on Veteran (or whatever the highest difficulty is called), yes, I can attest, they cheat something awful!

Some parts of the game are made really frustrating by the rapidity with which the AI acquires targets, in particular the run back to the helicopter after
Spoiler:
Al-Asad's death and the end of the flashback sniper mission.
In fact, I hated both the assault into and extraction from that village.