Author Topic: Spacesims as good as Freespace 2 - Nexus Jupiter Incident etc  (Read 8378 times)

Spacesims as good as Freespace 2 - Nexus Jupiter Incident etc
Hi

Could I get some idea of what you guys thik of other games which are similar to Freespace 2? Here's some I've played/looked at :-

Freelancer - i always get this and FS2 confused but now I play multiplayer Discovery Mod and its not bad.

FS2 - I played multiplayer beifly and I didn't really like it cos -- well probably cos i suck bad at dogfighting lol.

Nexus Jupiter incident - wow i want to try this one. Uses latest Black Sun engine, steadily being patched. Massive cap ship battles but very strategic in real time.

Starfleet Command 1/2 - much like Nexus. I played both. Very hard game I found cos a lot of thinking involved.. duh lol.

Any others? hm privateer, wing comander (predecessors to FS - all now gfx outdated). Elite etc.

I like open free playing space sims. Maybe this is why I like Freelancer a bit more than FS2. Can play cops, robbers or traders.

What do you guys think of them? I just like to discuss and see what you guys think.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Re: Spacesims as good as Freespace 2 - Nexus Jupiter Incident etc
I've heard a lot of great stuff about Tachyon: The Fringe, but I haven't had the chance to play more than a few minutes of it yet.  I believe that has a more open structure than FS2 did, so it might be worth your while to check it out.  I never had much desire to haul cargo around the galaxy, so I've never played any of the more economy/trading-based sims myself.

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
tachyon is good

also try sword of the stars

jumpgate evolution should be out soon

X series is pretty okay if your persistent

I hate My signature!

Offline Al Tarket

• A resident nutcase from Jerusalem.
    • An FSO Modification site
except hm privateer, elite and tachyon i have played the others. they are all good in their own way, however to ask opinions of these games from us wont compare to how you will like it. i suggest you make your own determinations on these games.

freelancer: you play a character named edison trent who is a free agent (freelancer) who has lost his livelihood when 4 unidentified ships destroy freeport 7 a zoners base in sigma 17 nearby the honshu system and the nearby system where freeport 9 is located. you have been rescued along with at least 7 other survivors from the destruction of freeport 7 and now you have to rebuild the life of freelancer trent however it gets put on hold when these same unidenifieds pop up and you find out that a chilling scenario is in the works within the colonies.

the game is simple enough hold left mouse button and guide the ship where the cross hair goes onto the small or big red cross in front of the ship you intend to destroy and right click to fire and forget. where as freespace you can use the keyboard for more direct control over the ship.

freespace 2: you play alpha 1 of various squads assigned to keep the peace within the GTVA systems from hostile forces.

as mentioned above, direct control is archived with freespace 2, can be interesting trying to shoot down a dragon with a boarnergses for example, unlike freelacner where its far more simplified.

Nexus: you play as captain of an expeditionary force having to track down and locate and isolate trouble within the sol solar system which leads on more then what was expected.

space building game, nothing like freespace 2 or freelancer, you just build, selection box and move then here or their in a 3d area.

starfleet command 1 and 2: your mission on behalf of the federation is to investage and/or eradicate forces that act against starfleets man-date.

its a very limited movement simulation, you left click in any place and the ship will turn in that direction, in order to attack a target, you need to lock on and actually use your mouse to fire, its more gui controlled then space ship combat.

Wing commander: you play as a member of a wing assigned to various ships to protect them against nearby attack or used to go on offensive missions in the name of the human forces.

limited version of freespace 2's movement however it has a slide feature that freespace 2 doesn't really have or understand, the accelerate is very quick and the decelleration is too quick even for Newtonian physics.

other games you might not of considered: major stryker(dosbox maybe required), star trek bridge commander, star trek armada 1 and 2, starlancer and their are more then what ever i can figure up.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 05:16:28 am by Al Tarket »
Cowardice is no selfishness, Friendliness is no enemy and Information is no attack platform.

Judge these words wisely and you might make it through this cruel world.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Wing Commander 3 and 4. No question about it. Also Tie-Fighter :nervous:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Davros

independance war 1+2
http://media.putfile.com/IWar

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
independance war 1+2

And Defiance :nod: Sniper cannon'o'sexiness.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
independance war 1+2

Get an Amiga or Atari ST emulator and play Warhead if you like those.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Would that mean i have to re-learn how Atari ST and Amiga operation? Because my minds displaced that knowledge with FS2 ship names  :rolleyes:
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Al Tarket

warheads?!!  :lol:, loved that game!, firing nukes to destroy enemy orbiting ships, was a lot of fun for an arcade game.

Amiga and Atari emulator!? i never heard of these devices before. must be ancient technology.
Cowardice is no selfishness, Friendliness is no enemy and Information is no attack platform.

Would that mean i have to re-learn how Atari ST and Amiga operation? Because my minds displaced that knowledge with FS2 ship names  :rolleyes:

I use Steem for that. http://steem.atari.st/ It's not too difficult to use, but I haven't figured out how to get games that come on more than 1 disk to work. Probably 'cos I'm too distracted by playing other stuff on the PC.

The Tomorrow War looks like it'll be nice. But I don't think it's a "freeform" type space sim.

Edit: Oh and X3 Terran Conflict looks awesome.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 07:39:23 am by lostllama »

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
I played a lot of games and since I am Sci-Fi fan you could guess I post here too. Let's get started. (only space-like games with Lasers and stuff, otherwise this list would go on forever).

X-Series isnt that great, only the first one is decent.

Freelancer could have been a blast and the story is great, sadly, the game suffers from design choices (rpg-like increase of ship stats) and the battles are boring (Evasion is impossible and the mouse control lets you feel more like a driver than a pilot).

WingCommander Games
rocks of course. Especially 3, 4 and 5, these are some of the best games ever made. WC4 still has THE best space fighter dogfight system. Sadly, doe to their age, these ships lack massive capship battles, story and missions always flows around these. Well, we got WC:Saga for that  ;7.
Privateer was way ahead of it's time too.

Nexus is the best space rts made so far. Fact. Outstanding visuals, music, gameplay, story. If they just had made the sequel  :( (the trailer looked godlike).

The X-Wing Series (including Tie-Fighter) is very well executed too, however the story is a little on the short side and I don't even want to mention the difficulty of X-Wing 1. (WC:SO is a cakewalk compared to the original DOS version of X-Wing)

Sword of the Stars sucks. Sorry dude. Continue playing Master of Orion 1 and 2 or take a look at Sins of a Solar Empire, that's good.

Independence War 1 and 2 are both pretty good games. However, part 1 suffers from bad mission design almost to the point that it breaks the game. The story saves it.

Homeworld Series: The first true Space RTS using 3d. Still a blast, especially HW2. There are also some neat mods for this one.

Haegemonia: Overlooked in stores, this one is actually a pretty good RTS, crossed with a 4X game. And it's nice. The graphics were way ahead of their time and the explosion effects still impresses in today's Crysis-times. Ignoring some logical errors, you will have a good time leading humanity into the stars in a well written (and easy) campaign.
Multiplayer is great.

StarTrek Games. Difficult to judge. Most suck. Some are good (EliteForce Series, some RTS). Two are outstanding: ST:Bridge Commander which is exactly what you think and DS9 The Fallen, an Action Adventure.

Aquanox Series: To me, it's transcendend. Starting with Archimedean Dynasty, this series provides simply the best game world ever made. Not in outer space but in the oceans of our planet, where a doomed humanity struggles for survival. Mature themes, mature language, not some over-the-top teen game. This is a serious story in a world full of drugs, terrorist, cyberpunks, mercenaries, pirates and fanatics. An outstanding experience.

Tarr Chronicles: Good story, lame dogfights. Far too short. It's getting a sequel now but for what purpose?

Parkan 2 (never even played 1): Always good for a laughter: Die you ugly monkey!-robots. The rest is trash.

Advent Rising (on PC): The first game of a never finished trilogy, featuring the best game soundtrack up to this day. It suffers from some glitches and design errors but still tells it's story very well. And it's fun. You feel really powerful when playing this game, imagine JediKnight and MaxPayne in one game.

Halo
: Hey, do I need to mention this? Sure, the level design sucks in 1 and 2 but the rest is outstanding.

StarWolves 1 and 2
: And RPG in which you control a group of mercenaries. First one is outstanding, second one disappoints. Still, try it out.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 11:18:09 am by Vidmaster »
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
I use Steem for that. http://steem.atari.st/ It's not too difficult to use, but I haven't figured out how to get games that come on more than 1 disk to work. Probably 'cos I'm too distracted by playing other stuff on the PC.
And UAE is the way to go for Amiga emulation http://www.winuae.net/
You'll need the ROM images though.

Offline Davros

I

Halo
: Hey, do I need to mention this?

No as its not a space sim

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR

Sword of the Stars sucks. Sorry dude. Continue playing Master of Orion 1 and 2 or take a look at Sins of a Solar Empire, that's good.

Heresy!
Don't listen to this imposter. Sword of the Stars is one of the best games EVER made. It offers a lot of tactics and strategy, but is simple and doesn't burden you with tons of micromanagment. Space battles are utterly sweet and use real physics - turrets track their targets, shells can bounce off, ships can be pushed...very epic
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
homeworld 2 is good  :eek2:  :eek2:

:lol:

its total ****.
I hate My signature!

Offline Al Tarket

indeed. the weak storyline and overpowered vaygr prove that.

Sin of a Solar Empire  :nervous:

Though I admit to never actually finishing a session of it. Other than the friends I was playing with deciding I had the advantage and admitting defeat. Otherwise it takes a long ass time investment to finish even a 1v1. Saving mid game isn't as good as it sounds. Its usually better to start over than to reload a stalemate.

Offline Al Tarket

i agree that sins is a very mutinous game, i said this on another thread. however rush tactics would be good, build a destroyer or dreadnought as soon as and a few frigates, head to the enemy destroy their frigate and captial ship stations and then their construction frigates, take down their economy and the planet at the same time. rush to the next planet along the line and keep wearing them down until the only thing they can do is just colonize. once thats done, build up your forces and send a few ships in from the other sides to destroy the colony ship and join the main force to destroy the planet :P.

however it does get very boring after a while if the fighting keeps going, their is such a thing as being so balanced that certain tactics become void. the only way to beat a full on assault is to direct all your ships into attacking the most destructive ships, even though you will loose a few ships, the more powerful ones you have will prevail in crippling the enemy, assuming the enemy doesn't take up the same tactic or you will become "a dead duck" along with the enemy.

another tactic that works, is "a Calvary raid" send a few ships into the enemy space, break through their defenses, head to one of their planets that supports the most resources, destroy these and take as much with as you can, and try getting back if you can otherwise rebuild these ships, it will keep off balance long enough to use some of their forces so you can go in and actually take on their force, albeit diminished. once you removed enough of their ships force your way into their colony and take it one planet at a time.

i think i have given you enough info that will definatly work unless the enemy realizes the tactics.

I've seen Tachyon: The Fringe recommended a few times so far in this thread, and while I don't disagree with that recommendation, a little context might be useful.  The game is highly mediocre, with the flight engine lifted from some flight sim series and slapped into a space sim.  Capitol ship combat is pathetic, and the sounds weapons make seems like some guy making Millennium Falcon sounds with his mouth.

But the game is still awesome, because the main character is voiced by Bruce Campbell.  Plus the space stations are absolutely enormous, and the universe is immense, with all kinds of optional missions and areas to tackle, and 2 sides to eventually join.  Tachyon's universe is pretty much exactly what I wanted Freelancers to be: Not randomly generated.  It has the same progressively unlocking more and more of the universe gameplay that Freelancer did, with new ships to buy, upgrades for weapons and whatnot (though not nearly as many), without the annoyance of the alliance systems or the drudgery of randomly generated dialog and missions.

Plus, it's freaking Bruce Campbell.  He makes anything awesome.
Everything is better with monkeys.  Even pie.

That is the best first post I have ever seen.