Author Topic: wxLauncher HELP and Game Resolution Questions [SOLVED!!!]  (Read 10607 times)

Offline amatar

wxLauncher HELP and Game Resolution Questions [SOLVED!!!]
Greetings all :)

Just DLed (been waiting a long time...great work BTW) and installed.

That went well and all, but I can't run the game from wsLauncher...there's no "Play" or "launch" button at all. I can mess with all the options, but that's it. I apologize if it's been addressed before, but I can't find where.

As for my resolution question, I've got my puter hooked up to my TV and am, unfortunately, stuck with a custom resolution (1136x652) due to whatever blah blah. I can deal with that (all other games I have support it)...there is no option for custom resolutions. I went into the ini and replaced the min and max options and just try to run the game straight from the install folder, which works, but then the game runs in windowed mode.

I am thusly at a loss. I unchecked the option in the launcher for playing in windowed mode, but I don't think that bypassing the launcher would use any of it's options.

Your help is greatly appreciated...I'm desperate to play this game lol

Phenom 9950
4 GB Ram
GTX 460
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 04:36:48 am by amatar »

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: wsLauncher HELP and Game Resolution Questions
there's no "Play" or "launch" button at all.
Can you upload a screenshot of what your wxLauncher looks like?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I've seen this exact issue on my netbook. The screen is too small to actually display the play button. I'll see if I can remember how I solved the issue later today when I have access to that netbook.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
You can set a custom resolution by adding this to the launchers "Advanced Settings" tab; "Custom Flags" box:  -res 1136x652  (but of course you'll need to see the Play button before this will help you - does anyone know if Windows has the ability to move windows without click/dragging the title bar, like using "Alt" on Linux?)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
does anyone know if Windows has the ability to move windows without click/dragging the title bar, like using "Alt" on Linux?
You can right-click on the title bar (or, equivalently, hit alt+space) and then select "move", and use the arrow keys to move the window around; the problem is that modern versions of Windows won't let you move a window off the top of the desktop (and keep it there, anyway).

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
the problem is that modern versions of Windows won't let you move a window off the top of the desktop (and keep it there, anyway).

Well that's a pain :( Longer term maybe wxlauncher could implement a different layout for small vertical resolutions, maybe hide the highlights and "current command line" then move help/play up so that the overall vertical height is around 2/3rds what is it currently? (Of course I say that without having a clue as to how hard it'll be to implement :))
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline amatar

Hello again all

I got a screen cap of the launcher. I used alt+Print Screen to get just the window, but the top and bottom roughly ten pixel rows (altogether) were cut off, so I just got a complete screen instead.

Again, any and all help is appreciated. Thank you very much for all of your replies  :yes:

Chris

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
If you hide the toolbar or move it to one side that should uncover the buttons.
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline amatar

Hmmm...no joy  :(

I move my task bar and the launcher just scales to fill up to the top and bottom of my screen again.

AH-HA! I just now tried opening the launcher with my taskbar at the bottom then moved my taskbar to the side again...screen cap!

I don't know if the launcher just stays resized to the state it was in when I opened it, though.

I think a small update to the launcher to include a scroll bar would be an idea for an update for those of us (probably just me LOL)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
I think a small update to the launcher to include a scroll bar would be an idea for an update for those of us (probably just me LOL)
Well, it's not just you:
I've seen this exact issue on my netbook.
I'm not sure a scroll bar is anywhere near the ideal solution, but clearly some kind of accommodation for small vertical resolutions is in order.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Offline amatar

Oops...forgot the screencap lol

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
What do the 2 arrows do in the upper right hand corner?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 06:53:01 pm by Macfie »
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
Off the top of my head late at night (I'm one of the wxLauncher devs):

Unfortunately, rewriting the interface is non-trivial (coder-speak for a major pain in the ass) and I don't think any of the devs can commit to that right now.

For anyone who didn't know, I semi-recently went legally blind and am currently rel-learning how to program. At the moment, I can barely read code, let alone write it. Even writing this post is a struggle.

For the OP, your only option to play the game is probably to manually create cmdline_fso.cfg (other people in this thread can help with that). You'll need to include a -res option as well. Again, others here can help with that.

I need to talk to Iss Mneur about a long-term solution. One option is to add an extra Play button somewhere in the middle of the window, which would be much easier than trying to rewrite the interface. You'd be missing the Help button, but let's face it, no one reads manuals anyway.

Hope that helps.

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Yes I have had this problem too, I think I just changed my resolution to get to the Play button.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline amatar

Well, that's all unfortunate news (especially you, jg18!!!)

As for changing my resolution, my tv will only accept the resolution it's on...if i up it, the desktop just goes beyond the edged of my tv lol.

If anyone has any advice on creating a cmdline_fso.cfg, I would love you forever. I've been waiting for this game a long time and I even bought a joystick just for the occasion :(

I really appreciate everyone's input. Thank you all :)

(and Macfie, the arrows in the corner is just my windows theme for minimize and maximize)

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Sure - here's a cmdline_fso.cfg based on some of my personal preferences and my guess at what your PC can handle (which is pretty much anything FSO will throw at it):

Create this file: <YOUR FSO DIRECTORY>/data/cmdline_fso.cfg (I'm assuming you can create a text file with the correct extension, if you want a hand with that just sing out.)

Code: [Select]
-mod MediaVPs_2014 -missile_lighting -post_process -soft_particles -fxaa -dualscanlines -targetinfo -ship_choice_3d -weapon_choice_3d -3dwarp -warp_flash -res 1136x652

Once the file is created add the text above to it.  You will need to change the -mod setting depending on what mod you want to play (but MediaVPs_2014 is a good place to start assuming you've already downloaded it). You can also set the checkboxes/settings you want on the wxLauncher Advanced tab, and then look at the "Current command line:" window (assuming it's not also cut off). That's basically where I got the settings above from.

----
----

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
He's playing Diaspora remember. :p (I know, with multiple windows open, it's easy to forget which game you're posting about).

Ignore the -mod bit since that only applies to FS2 and not Diaspora. The correct text is therefore

-missile_lighting -post_process -soft_particles -fxaa -dualscanlines -targetinfo -ship_choice_3d -weapon_choice_3d -3dwarp -warp_flash -res 1136x652
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
 :banghead:

Thanks for picking that up Karajorma. Although, Diaspora also has some custom lighting recommendations... so try this one! :)

-missile_lighting -post_process -soft_particles -fxaa -dualscanlines -targetinfo -ship_choice_3d -weapon_choice_3d -3dwarp -warp_flash -res 1136x652 -ambient_factor 90 -spec_exp 0.7 -spec_tube 1.0 -spec_point 0.7 -spec_static 1.0 -ogl_spec 15 -bloom_intensity 20
----
----

Offline amatar

Awesome...thanx a ton for your help. I'm going to give it a shot this weekend (I don't get time to game during the weekdays, unfortunately lol).

So, with that text, are those all separate lines or is it just one long line as you guys have typed? That and after I make this up, I just launch the game via the game's main exe, correct?

I'm very puter literate, so I don't foresee any difficulties. I even made a mod once (*ghasp* lol) for the original CoD. It was a blood mod and it was a lot of fun messing with it. I'm a gamer from way back...probably before you guys were in kindergarten...damn I'm old :(

I still remember my first rig: a Pentium PR200mx with a 5.6 gig HD (5200 rpm!) and a Voodoo 2 vid card (might have been a Voodoo 1)...don't remember how much ram. That thing smoked even the rigs I used at work at the time!

I remember putting together my dream rig...I had the thing built (think it was a Pent 750) and went to shove in my TNT2 32mb vid card (dreamy) and got the dreaded "beepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeep" from my bios...my beautiful $200 vid card was fried :( I had to play Theif with my backup 16mb card...I cried the whole time lol.

Anyways, I thank you all for everything...I'll keep you updated on how it goes :)

Damn...I'm old!

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
So, with that text, are those all separate lines or is it just one long line as you guys have typed? That and after I make this up, I just launch the game via the game's main exe, correct?

It's all one line, and once the file is ready just launch via the main exe as you said.

And I might be able to give you a run for your money in the "old man" race given that my 1st 3d card was a Rendition Verite V1000  ;7   (vquake.exe ftw!)
----
----