Author Topic: TAG-C revealed  (Read 5371 times)

Offline penguin

• Eudyptes codus
  • Still alive.
I always wondered what the TAG-C missle was for - it doesn't appear in any missions, and no ships could carry it, IIRC.  In the weapons.tbl file, it has $Tag level 3.  (TAG-A and TAG-B missles both have tag level 2).

So I tweaked ships.tbl, created a mission and used it, but nothing happened, no TAG effect, no damage etc.

Today I looked at the code (file: Ship/ShipHit.cpp, lines 2335-2353), which says (edited for brevity):
Code: [Select]

if (weapon.tag_level == 1) {
    // do TAG level 1 stuff
} else if (weapon.tag_level == 2) {
    // do TAG level 2 stuff
} else {
    // do nothing
}

hehe, guess that was one of those features that never made it into the released product, but never got taken out of all the files...  Looking forward to finding more :D
----
PS: I nominate April 28 as a new GTVA holiday: Freespace Liberation Day!
your source code slave

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
make it do the SSM, I think that is what it was for, I havn't looked into it, but it should be fairly easy
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
there are pofs for the fs1 support ships, but no entries in the tables for them.

Offline vadar_1

• Mr. Crispy
    • http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~freespace/hosted/fullcircle/
Originally posted by LtNarol
there are pofs for the fs1 support ships, but no entries in the tables for them.

Because they never cleaned out the old models...

As for the TAG-C Thing.... It really should tag, if you look at the weapons table.
"Shockingly, checking Draw Lines Between Marked Icons draws lines between the marked icons. " -Volition quality help files

Projects;
The Full Circle Project (site down - server side problem)
Paradox (site down - server side problem)

Offline penguin

• Eudyptes codus
  • Still alive.
Originally posted by vadar_1

As for the TAG-C Thing.... It really should tag, if you look at the weapons table.

Yeah, but the code does nothing if tag_level == 3 ... and that's what I saw in my mission.  The only tag levels that do anything are 1 (no weapons use this) and 2 (TAG-A and TAG-B).

Apparently it was supposed to be a "super tag," at least that's what the description implies, but it looks like it was never implemented -- so it never appears in a mission, but the weapons.tbl and the POF remained...
your source code slave

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
Originally posted by vadar_1

Because they never cleaned out the old models...

correction: the apollo, athena, valkyrie, and anubis are not there.

Offline vadar_1

• Mr. Crispy
    • http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~freespace/hosted/fullcircle/
I guess if you were to change Tag-C from

$Tag: 3 10.0

to

$Tag: 2 10.0

But then it would just be a worthless weapon... I always wondered what that first number meant...
"Shockingly, checking Draw Lines Between Marked Icons draws lines between the marked icons. " -Volition quality help files

Projects;
The Full Circle Project (site down - server side problem)
Paradox (site down - server side problem)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
correction: the apollo, athena, valkyrie, and anubis are not there.

I think he meant the old missile models. ;)

make it do the SSM, I think that is what it was for, I havn't looked into it, but it should be fairly

That would be kind of nice; would make it useful and at the same time distinguish it from the effects of the other two. ;)

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
if he doesn't I will
(once I get these damn fighter beams to work :mad: )
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
thought you already got those working?

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
the fighter beams, well sort of, I can't get them to shut down when you're out of energy, and I can't get the AI to use them, and I can't get more than one bank to fire at a time (though all gunpoints in a bank will fire)
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I remember reading from some gaming magazine that you could tag enemy capital ships and order missile strike at them.

This is what SSM is for, perhaps TAG3 was supposed to do this, but :V: did not for some reason finish that feature.

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
1. sorry, i misread (yet again, sigh)

2. good work on the fighter beams Bobboau

3. this is going to sound really stupid, but what is SSM?

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
SubSpace Missile. ;) It was basically supposed to be a system where the player targeted something with the targeting laser for a certain amount of time, after which a bunch of missiles/bombs came out of subspace and hit the target. This was one of those things that was dropped out of the game at the last moment.

This is what SSM is for, perhaps TAG3 was supposed to do this, but :v: did not for some reason finish that feature.

There is the targeting laser for that though; I'm not too sure what the original purpose of the TAG-C was. From the tech description, it appears to be a TAG-B with "improved weapon hardpoint compatibility," although there is no ship that can carry it. :p

Offline Kitsune

SSM = SubSpaceMissle?
If you designate something with the targeting laser (IE, shoot it)
then after a short countdown the designated missles will warp in and fly at the target.

Doesn't work on sath's though. :/

When I tried it, the missles all appeared at a hgue distance from it, then simultaniously explode before they get there. :(

And the Tag C can be used on the Perseus.
~Space Kitsuné
6-Tailed RPG Nut.

"Why the hell don't we have any missles on this damn boat?!"
"But Sir, we have Tempests, Rockeyes, and unknown bombs."
"Like I said ensign, 'Why don't we have any missles on this damn boat?!"

"I went to a fight last night and a hockey game broke out."  -Groucho Marx

Just to throw a random idea into the works, I always thought that the targeting laser would work much better if it were used to tag a fighter. You would have to keep it hitting the target and the ship providing the fire power would attack it for however long you're able to keep the laser on the ship. Probably impossible to do but...
'Honour the valiant who fall beneath your sword, but pity the warrior who slays all his foes' - G'trok, in the poem lu geng

'Clarification is not to make oneself clear, it is to put oneself in the clear.' - Sir Humphrey Appleby

Why not visit the Time of Change website?

Or perhaps my own website - Telencephalon

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
Originally posted by Mr. Fury
I remember reading from some gaming magazine that you could tag enemy capital ships and order missile strike at them.

Now, that we have the source code, we could implement that. After all, it would finally  make the TAG missiles useful.
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Offline YodaSean

• i am so special
    • http://www.geocities.com/radioactiveyeti
I just had a weird idea pop into my head for the TAG-C missiles:

When a ship is tagged with a TAG-C missile, any homing missile can be fired without a lock and will home in on the tagged target.  And missiles that have a lock on another target will, of course, home in on the target they are locked onto.  Also, maybe the accuracy of missiles homing in on tagged targets could be increased.

Offline Anaz

I like the idea of the TAG being a SSM caller, because that would allow for them not to be too unbalanced, IE, you could carry 2 tag Cs and call 2 strikes.

Oh, bob, you're gonna have to look for a code refrence to this, but you would probably do something like this for the energy, just do a player.energy = player.energy - current_weapon.energydrain, or whatever.
Arrr. I'm a pirate.

AotD, DatDB, TVWP, LM. Ph34r.

You WILL go to warpstorm...

Offline penguin

• Eudyptes codus
  • Still alive.
Originally posted by YodaSean
I just had a weird idea pop into my head for the TAG-C missiles:

When a ship is tagged with a TAG-C missile, any homing missile can be fired without a lock and will home in on the tagged target.  And missiles that have a lock on another target will, of course, home in on the target they are locked onto.  Also, maybe the accuracy of missiles homing in on tagged targets could be increased.

Neat idea, and probably not too tough to implement... if your current target is tagged, the aspect-seeking missle could acquire lock instantly.  Could be handy.

I don't like the idea of missles that are already locked changing their targets, though... It makes it a little messy if you want to attack a target, but your dumb wingmates keep tagging a cargo container :p  Also, how would you handle multiple targets being tagged at once?
your source code slave