Author Topic: Thrusters: Should I be using them?  (Read 4595 times)

Re: Thrusters: Should I be using them?
Joshua made a "RealFlight" mod for FSO that makes all the playable ships in FS have glide control, lateral and vertical thrusters (IIRC) and that inertial squishyness that you notice in BtRL whenever you change direction while moving. Ship and weapon speeds were increased somewhat. I can't remember if the AI knows how to use the thrusters and glide feature though. Due to the changes to the ship and weapons speeds, when playing the official FS2 campaign the missions become somewhat imbalanced.

You can read about it in the thread below. Note that the links to the files in that thread don't work, but I have the 1.1 and 1.2 versions as well as the one compatible with the FS Port if you want them. I don't know if they'll work with 3.6.10.

RealFlight thread

There's also Sushi's Velocity Mod that the above was partly based on but I think all that does is increase ship speeds. Haven't tried it myself but it's on FreeSpaceMods for download.

So I guess ordering around wingmen in game is actually pretty important huh? Is that how they stay alive? Mine seem to be dying quite a bit, lol.

Wingmen do tend to die often. On higher difficulties (hard and insane) they become more effective.

God BtRL physics in FS1+2 sound hella fun.  Too bad the DL links are dead.  Anyone have those mods and can get them working for 3.6.10 and FSPort and ST:R?  Oh and giving everyone a DL link would be nice.

17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

What I'll do is give the RealFlight mods a try under FSO 3.6.10 and the new FS Port release to see if they work. I'll try and upload them on FreeSpaceMods soonish.

Or in the meantime ask Joshua for them. I sent him the ones that I'd saved after he lost his originals a few months ago, and he might have worked on them since.

OK I have added the following to FreeSpaceMods:

RealFlight for FS Port:
- v.1.11
- v.1.11B

RealFlight for FS2 SCP:
- v.1.1

As for v1.2, I've tried uploading it twice but it hasn't appeared in the list yet. I'll look into this later.

I _hope_ I've provided the correct installation instructions...

Link to download page: http://www.freespacemods.net/download.php?list.46

I also have another RAR file called Inertiamod but I'm not sure if it relates to FS Port or FS2 SCP. Joshua would know. I might upload it once I figure out what it does.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 07:15:53 am by lostllama »

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
I don't think the default Freespace engine had those vertical and lateral thruster controls.
it does.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Ah crap, forgot about uploading those after I got them for my own studies.

They seem to be broken anyway. For example, the GTF Perseus should have 160 MPS, but it has a weird random number last time I checked. It wasn't always so, and I do not know what changed it.

Anyway, I usually set up all the flight controls at the number-pad. 8 is thrust up, 2 is thrust down, etc. Enter is the afterburner, and * is the counter-measure. Combined with the Joystick I find this a rather usefull setting in dogfights...

I also have another RAR file called Inertiamod but I'm not sure if it relates to FS Port or FS2 SCP. Joshua would know. I might upload it once I figure out what it does.

That should either be the original 1.0 one or a beta I released... somewhere. The beta sets all the damp valeus to 1.0, and is rather suckish...

Wingmen do tend to die often. On higher difficulties (hard and insane) they become more effective.

If you look carefully at how FS handles difficulty, you could actually say that you become much less effective on higher difficulties settings. on Insane setting, you are just as vurnrable as your wingmen are...
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 04:52:54 am by -Joshua- »