Author Topic: Dragon Age: Origins  (Read 31730 times)

Mages:

For a mage who's actually going to spellcast, and not try to be a man in a metal suit, crowd control is rule number one.

The sleep tree is incredibly useful.  Sleep is an area affect, no cast time disabler, and it works quite well.  Followed up by a horror, it does significant damage, and horror will keep it's single target help for some time.  Waking nightmare is more chaos then disabler, but it still helps.

The entire cold tree is amazingly useful.  Just take it.  It won't get you through every fight, as a fair number of targets are cold immune, but for everything else damage + freeze/slow is too good to pass up.

The fire tree is good for damage.  Not quite as useful as hold, but certainly has it's place.  Inferno does buckloads of damage, and does not require line of sight - very useful for tossing into rooms before opening the door.

The tree with grease can be useful.  The wisp doesn't cost much, and spell power always helps.  I think that also has the one that lets you absorb mana from corpses - far more useful then the health version of it.

The runes tree has it's uses - primarily the repulsion/paralyze combo, which requires no line of sight and is a high magnitude paralyze AoE.  Great to pull off before an inferno, so they have to stay there and bake.

Force fields - get it.  Mind blast is very useful early on, force field removes an enemy from the battle entirely - useful on non-gargantuan bosses with minions.  Crushing Prision can stop and then kill most spellcasters, and the forcefield/prision combo is a non-friendly fire AoE damage effect.

Lightning....kind of sucks.  Earth is OK, but there are better places to put your points.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
If I loved NWN will I like this?

I didn't... this game is good, but they did not learn anything from NWN in a gameplay point of view, in fact... it seems they did it ridiculously easier in terms of classes, spells, skills, etc.

I must say I was expecting DA:O to be far more elavorated in that area, still it's a great game.
el hombre vicio...

Offline mxlm

Yes, the game system is much more user friendly than D&D 3.0. That's not a bad thing.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Yes, the game system is much more user friendly than D&D 3.0. That's not a bad thing.

Well, I for one, would love to have a completely new complex game to play with, like the good old Baldurs Gate, "user friendly" often turns out to be a game stupid and simple for the masses, not something I'm looking for... but I guess that's what sells best right now.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Say hi to being in the minority in wanting a complex game.  But keep in mind that "complex" is completely arbitrary and varies depending on who you ask.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Say hi to being in the minority in wanting a complex game.  But keep in mind that "complex" is completely arbitrary and varies depending on who you ask.

True, but you've got to be able to see the flaw in DA:O, it's class and abilities system is just crap compared to previous games.

Of course this is just a personal opinion on the matter, no flaming intended to Bioware.. I still think they did a good job overall, not great, but well.. I guess you just can't have it all.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Sorry, but wrong on the first count.  I don't actually have the game.  I'm broke just about.

And sometimes its nice to have unbalanced classes, as long as they form an unbalanced regular polygon :P

Meh.  Baldur's Gate, and the whole lot of them weren't complex so much as they were purposefully arcane, as if the system was designed by people trying to sell you rulebooks.  Probably because the system was in fact designed by people trying to sell you rulebooks.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
True, but you've got to be able to see the flaw in DA:O, it's class and abilities system is just crap compared to previous games.

Buhhhh..whaaaa? :wtf:

How the hell is hte class and skills system crap?
You thinkD&D was so awesome because it had 20 classes? Rubbish. ALL classes you cna think of WILL fall into either fighter, warrior or mage categories.
IF anything makes sense and is nicely done, then it's the class system.

Skills are OK. IMHO it could be better to have weapon-specific skills (axe and sword? You dont' use em the same way bub).
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Skills are OK. IMHO it could be better to have weapon-specific skills (axe and sword? You dont' use em the same way bub).
I'd rather not, it limits weapon options too much.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
I loved how I finally got to carve up Arl Howe. Never have I ever wanted to murder a virtual character more. Oh, on Human Noble, by the way.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I'm ok with the skills system, it provides the ability to personalise without taking hours spending skill points, which is just as well considering the amount of time spent rummaging around in the Inventory to make sure everyone has enough armour etc.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
I loved how I finally got to carve up Arl Howe. Never have I ever wanted to murder a virtual character more. Oh, on Human Noble, by the way.

I kept the Cousland Family Sword for the entire game specifically so that I could kill him with it when I had the opportunity.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Does anyone know what the 2nd DVD is for? I installed and finished the game without ever needing it. :wtf:

Offline mxlm

....Second DVD? My copy only has one.

Killed my first dragon, and it was ****ing hard. And it was only a sissy male dragon, too.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
A quick glimpse at contents of said DVD revealed it contains french, german and polish languages. :doubt:

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
No. It's not.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
yeah it is.  It's medieval fantasy KOTOR on hard mode.  it tries to be dark but really its just normal with the occasional child murder, prostitution, and extortion to spice things up a bit.

that doesn't mean it's not really good though
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Consider it non-sanitized Gothic Romance if you like, read some of the older texts and it really is 'Fields of Limbs' and 'Lakes of Blood' stuff ;)

And yes, very much enjoying it, even if I had to restart the Circle Tower/Fade because I hadn't taken enough health poultices with me and wasn't prepared for what happened there :/