Author Topic: RELEASE: Inferno Nostos: Act 1  (Read 201109 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: RELEASE: Inferno Nostos: Act 1
The US didn’t get directly involved in two major world wars until its allies had already absorbed an assload of hurt. I don’t see it as terribly unbelievable that the Vasudans are reluctant.

The US didn’t get directly involved in two major world wars until its allies had already absorbed an assload of hurt. I don’t see it as terribly unbelievable that the Vasudans are reluctant.

Of course you can extand the discussion into "Would the US be considered stupid if they'd be all-alone after their allies got invaded by Axis forces while they just stood and watched", but the point remains the same.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries

I would argue that the US cannot be compared, because the US had no political union with any of the Western Allies, and had an unassailable position in North America, far from the European theater. Meanwhile the Vasudan Imperium in exile is sitting right next door in Antares and their representatives to the GTVA are all in the actual contested zone itself. The Vasudan position is more like Britain or France in September 1939--they're vulnerable, Germany is not going to stop, and they need to respond now.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Ok, some points I'd like to add to the discussion that I came across.

1. The EA-GTVA war should be a 2-front war. Several CBs indicate clearly that Delta Serpentis is entirely under EA control, same for Ross 128. Unless the Nodemap has been changed significantly, half a dozen systems have been cut off from GTVA. FS2 canon says they're densely populated and industrialized. EA could try to seize these systems (though Beta Aquilae is of course a more valueble target), or GTVA could open a second front, but neither happens. No GTVA units enter EA-controlled Ross 128 despite being only weakly-defended.

2. Despite being a "strategic important asset" to GTVA and EA having control over Delta Serpentis for quite a while, Aeneas station managed to avoid capture/destruction for a long time. Even though asteroids might make things more complicated, something probably doesn't justify delays of more than a week or so, and the force EA ultimatly send consisted only of 2 corvettes, a cruiser and a few wings - nothing EA wouldn't have been able to delpoy weeks or months ago if it mattered to them at any point.

3. This here: https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=94956.msg1871517#msg1871517
It's only about the ending of part 1; it doesn't spoil anything you couldn't deduce from part 1/tech descriptions.

Offline 5thAce

According to the MVP release post you need only to add a blank mv_root-hdg.tbm into INFs table folder. I haven't tested it myself yet though. Testing board says the team is working on a fix soon(ish).

Do you know how to add this blank mv to the mod files?

According to the MVP release post you need only to add a blank mv_root-hdg.tbm into INFs table folder. I haven't tested it myself yet though. Testing board says the team is working on a fix soon(ish).

Put it in Inferno/Data/Tables. If it doesn't work ask in the MVP release discussion for help. Don't know if it works for Knossos-users as well but I don't know why it shouldn't.

Put it in Inferno/Data/Tables. If it doesn't work ask in the MVP release discussion for help. Don't know if it works for Knossos-users as well but I don't know why it shouldn't.

Worked fine for me with Knossos, thank you. :)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Any chance of editing the OP to include this  link + image?

Offline QuakeIV

• test
Belatedly remarking on how the US left their 'allies' to their fates for quite a while during both world wars: we weren't actually allied to any of them prior to the end of ww2.  The US never actually joined the league of nations, and before ww1 they were also neutral.

Offline -Norbert-

Leaving the history/political discussion aside for a moment, I have a bug to report.

In the mission where you attack the cargo/repair-depot and the light carrier there, my bombers managed to destroy the carrier so fast, it couldn't launch Durch wing. But the destruction of that fighter wing is necessary for the mission to commence. Since I couldn't destroy what never came into the mission, the enemy reinforments never arrived and thus I was stuck.

On the 2nd try they just managed to launch right before the Ca blew up and I could complete the mission.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 05:38:05 pm by -Norbert- »

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
This is a known bug that was discussed elsewhere.  It will be fixed with the upcoming patch.

R

This is a known bug that was discussed elsewhere.  It will be fixed with the upcoming patch.

R

When will the patch be released? It's been some time since the last SVN commit, and the thing with the HUD is apparently rather critical. PIe proposed this: https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=95060.msg1872919#msg1872919

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
I pushed a metadata update, so closing Knossos, going to <Knossos data>/FS2/Inferno-1.0.0, deleting the mod.json file there and then redownloading Inferno will fix the HUD issue.  Knossos should detect that the VP files still exist and won't redownload them.
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq
[6:24 PM] Axem: 22nd armored hq, i order you to get me a cup of coffee
[6:24 PM] PIe: and donuts
[6:24 PM] PIe: BECAUSE THIS IS THE GTVA POLICE
[6:25 PM] Axem: :O
[6:25 PM] Axem: am i under arrest
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: no, just please step out of the myrmidon
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: you have so much to fred for

[9:50 PM] Sottises: wait did you do vassago's verge?
[9:50 PM] Sottises: .. dirge?
[9:50 PM] Axem: yes
[9:50 PM] Sottises: ohh
[9:50 PM] Sottises: well I have that and JAD too
[9:50 PM] Axem: :)
[9:50 PM] Sottises: what a contrast of themes lmao
[9:50 PM] Axem: isnt it
[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship
[9:51 PM] PIe: jad is grimdark???
[9:51 PM] Axem: :skull:

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
As of now, the dev team is not currently active.  JSRNerdo, The Dagger, and Nyctaeus have not been seen since July, and I have been busy with graphical updates for the patch (namely the Claymores).  Hopefully we regroup in Sept or Oct and push something out by early 2019.  In the interim just use the temporary HUD patch.

R

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
(namely the Claymores).

Will there be pictures anytime soon?
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline mr.WHO

(namely the Claymores).

Will there be pictures anytime soon?

Also, maybe a screenshot of new Auriga model (mentioned earlier in this topic)?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I swear there’s orders of magnitudes more posts asking for previews of Inferno assets than any other kind of discussion about it.

I swear there’s orders of magnitudes more posts asking for previews of Inferno assets than any other kind of discussion about it.

I tried, but nobody replied to my post. :(

Besides that, there're still pics of some assets on the ModDB site.

Offline CT27

Ok, some points I'd like to add to the discussion that I came across.

1. The EA-GTVA war should be a 2-front war. Several CBs indicate clearly that Delta Serpentis is entirely under EA control, same for Ross 128. Unless the Nodemap has been changed significantly, half a dozen systems have been cut off from GTVA. FS2 canon says they're densely populated and industrialized. EA could try to seize these systems (though Beta Aquilae is of course a more valueble target), or GTVA could open a second front, but neither happens. No GTVA units enter EA-controlled Ross 128 despite being only weakly-defended.

Maybe they thought seizing the important systems of BA and DS right away would force early surrender/negotiations without a long war?

I think that is the reason why EA attacked Beta Aquilae instead of Laramis, even though it might appear as an easier way for EA to go. But in that case, GTVA would have set up a node blockade there, what isn't mentioned. It'd also be logical that GTVAs counterattack would come from 2 sides or earlier that GTVA starts a distraction by invading weakly defended Ross 128 in order to buy time for the capital.