Author Topic: Star Fox: Event Horizon for FSO  (Read 177982 times)

Offline UndyingNephalim

Re: Star Fox: Event Horizon for FSO
It is absolutely possible to mount turrets at arbitrary angles. However, in order for the engine to make the rotations work correctly, it needs to be told what the up and forward vectors for the turret base are.
This is an example using the GTD Titan model:

As you can see, turret11 is mounted on the side of the main hull, so it has an "up" vector (as denoted by the "uvec" property in the model) of -1,0,0 and a "forward" vector of 0,0,1

Awesome that worked.  :nod:
Is there a way to make it so that turrets face a specific direction other than sticking out when they are resting and not attacking targets?

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Is there a way to make it so that turrets face a specific direction other than sticking out when they are resting and not attacking targets?

Subsystem Animation Code:
https://wiki.hard-light.net/index.php/Animation_Code

Scroll down for an example who to set a turret to face a certain direction when the parent model is spawned by the game
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline 0rph3u5

What you are specifically looking for is the "reset when idle"-flag, found here:

https://wiki.hard-light.net/index.php/Subsystem
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

The most common set of flags for rotating turrets is "check hull" "fire on target" "reset when idle".

Offline UndyingNephalim

Cool the turrets and everything work. I guess I'll drop this here and vanish for a few more months.  :lol:

Simply amazing :eek2:

Offline 0rph3u5

The most common set of flags for rotating turrets is "check hull" "fire on target" "reset when idle".

"check hull" is maybe not applicable here - it just so the turrets don't try to fire through parts of the ships they are on even though their field of view would technically allow that

Depending on how the troops are set-up in terms of parent object it might actually cause problems...

==================

Offline Kiloku

• Buzzbuzz!
    • Minecraft
So cool that you made the Garuda leave their "Tank" section once you destroy the upper section like in SF64! 

I'm amazed that you have so many ground missions working well. I remember reading that AI fighters would go crazy and collide with the ground and buildings in most attempts. How do you avoid that?
Potato!

Offline 0rph3u5

There is no concept of choosing wingmen in FreeSpace like there is in Wing Commander.  But you might be able to simulate it with scripting.

Technically you can do it if you make a personal ship for each wingman to be used in the Loadout Section and then use is-ship-class checks to tailor stuff. Use the ship-allowed sexps to enable and disable on basis of campaign progression.

However that settles you with a lot of bagage in terms of exess team loadout components. And you would have to make the ships visually distinct etc etc

Follow-up:
If you are not using load-out screen, easy thing to do with a variable and a nested event - all that is needed is a way for the player to make the input; shortest routes would be reinforcements (ala BP2) or Axem's prompt box script

==================

Offline UndyingNephalim

Random question time, is there a way to make it so a particular object does not cast and/or receive shadows when shadows are enabled? My oceans seem to have some wonky visual effects when shadows are enabled and I'd really like to not have to disable them any longer:

Hidden Text: Show

There's something called "apply no lighting" in the ships.tbl.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
That's really weird. Can you make a minimal test mod that can be used to reproduce that issue?

There's something called "apply no lighting" in the ships.tbl.

Yes, there is that. But that excludes the object in question from all lighting calculations, which will look really bad.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Is it hard to add - no_shadow as a feature/script :confused: :confused:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline UndyingNephalim

So because I am insane I decided to remodel half the faces of characters I spent nearly 2 years animating and now I have to animate em all again. Yay!
Hidden Text: Show

The purpose was because I wanted the faces to be more expressive, and i feel like I can make stuff better than I did back in 2015 when a lot of these models were originally made.

Get my usual :eek2: 's for your work. :D

The remodelling paid off in an amazing way! :nod:

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline UndyingNephalim

Random question time, is there a way to make it so a ship or wing of ships warps in at very specific locations? Half the time they warp in right where I place them, but occasionally ships will warp in quite a distance away from where I've placed them in FRED2. It's a bit annoying because I have camera angles and movements set up and almost half the time they warp in out of frame and ruin my in-game cutscenes.

If you set the arrival location to Hyperspace (the default one), they should always arrive on same place.

Offline 0rph3u5

Random question time, is there a way to make it so a ship or wing of ships warps in at very specific locations? Half the time they warp in right where I place them, but occasionally ships will warp in quite a distance away from where I've placed them in FRED2. It's a bit annoying because I have camera angles and movements set up and almost half the time they warp in out of frame and ruin my in-game cutscenes.

Can you please be more specific. Which warp-in time are you using? Is it a problem with the deceleration from warp-in (so basically where ship "comes to rest" after warp-in if it doesn't have any orders cued up)?

==================

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
Ships should always appear where you place them, But ships also have a "start velocity" that can cause them to move slightly, try going into the "initial stats" of each ship and setting the velocity to zero.
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299