Author Topic: NEWS : Alpha-Build Release  (Read 24420 times)

Re: NEWS : Alpha-Build Release
I actually like the ranges the way they are right now. It gives brawlers a greater advantage than Stock MC2, without reducing long range Mechs to shooting at radar blips, which, no matter how realistic that may be, isnt Btech.

Plus, the enhanced ranges make Assault Mech charges look even more awesome.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
The weapon ranges in MC2 were pretty damn close to the ones in the board game, it's just the LOS and fog of war that's really short.

Offline Cipher

• Target verified, commencing hostilities!
It gives brawlers a greater advantage than Stock MC2, without reducing long range Mechs to shooting at radar blips, which, no matter how realistic that may be, isnt Btech.
in Btech, you can hit targets at 900m, and if i remember correctly, the clan basic sensor is like 385m :P
What sad world do we live in, where we turn a serious post about a threatening virus into a free-for-all lol pic convention?

Exactly. Most Combat in TT (from what little I played) took place well inside visual range, electronics be damned.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
It gives brawlers a greater advantage than Stock MC2, without reducing long range Mechs to shooting at radar blips, which, no matter how realistic that may be, isnt Btech.
in Btech, you can hit targets at 900m, and if i remember correctly, the clan basic sensor is like 385m :P

What weapon is this that hits out to 900m?  The LB2-X AC only hits out to 840, and it's the longest range tournament-legal weapon in the game.

Offline Timerlane

• Overseer of Slag Determination
The Clan LB2-X is 30 hexes, and based on JJ distances(multiples of 30m x hexes travelled) and the MKII's fluff(450m being the range where the 15 hex Clan ER Mediums come into play), hexes are 30m across, therefore 30x30=900m.

While we're at it, if all retail MC2 mechs were jumping 125m(just over 4 hexes), then ranges were definitely out of whack(though to be fair, weapon ranges would be stupidly long from a view perspective if we were to use that for a basis; Clan ERLLs would have a max range just over 6x the standard 4-hex jumping distance, or a bit over two fully zoomed out(MC2 retail) screenwidths @ 1280x1024), and the Heavy AC(20) on a Hunchback would still be able to reach across the better part of one same screen(9 hexes, or over twice its jumping distance).
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 08:49:36 am by Timerlane »

Offline Arcalane

• Wait, I'm supposed to use evasive maneuvers?
    • Wyrdysm Games Forums
Maybe it's just me, but has all the guns gotten a range increase?
Definitely. On the other hand, I believe 'minimum ranges' on long/mid-range weapons also increased, as well, so short-range weaponry is of more use, especially against fast, close range designs(though one could just have 'Mechs always travel in pairs and shoot the fleasFire Ants off each other's backs).
They're quite finicky about it - sometimes they'll fire longer ranged guns at short range, other times they'll not fire them at short range for several minutes at a time.

The range boosts are kinda nice though. I just wish the MG sound wasn't so grating - hearing that sound every second is why I strip MGs off my mechs ASAP and replace them with lasers if I want short range weapons.
Don't think, Mechwarrior. Find out.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Yeah, the MG sound is one of the most annoying things in MC2, I also instantly unfit them. But I will give it a different and better sound in the future, that's a promise :)

Regarding range and stuff, please not that the game is far from being balanced yet. But I also want to have bigger ranges in the game. LRM and artillery are pointless, when they only fire over 100 meters.

Imaging new strategic possibilities when placing an artillery on top of a hill that covers an entire valley while enemy mechs can't even get into range  ;7
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
The Clan LB2-X is 30 hexes, and based on JJ distances(multiples of 30m x hexes travelled) and the MKII's fluff(450m being the range where the 15 hex Clan ER Mediums come into play), hexes are 30m across, therefore 30x30=900m.

While we're at it, if all retail MC2 mechs were jumping 125m(just over 4 hexes), then ranges were definitely out of whack(though to be fair, weapon ranges would be stupidly long from a view perspective if we were to use that for a basis; Clan ERLLs would have a max range just over 6x the standard 4-hex jumping distance, or a bit over two fully zoomed out(MC2 retail) screenwidths @ 1280x1024), and the Heavy AC(20) on a Hunchback would still be able to reach across the better part of one same screen(9 hexes, or over twice its jumping distance).

I think the problem is an erroneous display of distance in MC2.  You couldn't convince me to believe that a LRM carrier is less than 3 meters long (which it seems to be, considering that the jump distance is about that long relatively).  Not to mention that most of the 'Mechs in the game look like they only come up to six or seven meters, instead of the 10-14 that's generally accepted, and that infantry literally look like ants.

Yeah, I blame the view.

Offline Arcalane

• Wait, I'm supposed to use evasive maneuvers?
    • Wyrdysm Games Forums
LRM and artillery are pointless, when they only fire over 100 meters.

Imaging new strategic possibilities when placing an artillery on top of a hill that covers an entire valley while enemy mechs can't even get into range  ;7

No kidding. I hardly ever use emplaced Arty because the points are better spent on mech salvaging and repair trucks, unless I have to defend a very specific area, such as a bridge, where I can use my mechs to pin down attackers.
Don't think, Mechwarrior. Find out.