Author Topic: BtA Bug Report Thread  (Read 79135 times)

Offline CT27

Re: BtA Bug Report Thread
Never mind.  I could get it going by downloading a recent nightly. 

Strange it worked last time I played but not earlier today (and I hadn't made any changes).

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Alright, so as discussed on Discord, I experienced a bug in Mefistofele's M2, Shell Game, upon the remote detonation of the suspicious cargo. As you can see from the following screenshot, the "Protect Mako" directive has turned false and I can't target anything but Alpha 2, so no sensor contact is available with the debris I'm supposed to investigate. Furthermore, I can clearly see that some of the messages supposedly sent by the Mako are actually sent by Command. This is a typical occurrence when a ship sending a message is not ingame the moment it's supposed to send the message itself.

I experienced it once, and I was running FSO on Nightly 20200813. This was not my first run of the mission, as I in fact used the mission's checkpoint following me, uh, accidentally triggering the explosion a bit too early during the previous playthrough.

The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

When trying to use the current version 1.5.7 from Knossos, which shows an updated date of 2020-08-02 it throws an error trying to launch

TBM  =>  Starting parse of 'brah-sct.tbm' ...
brah-sct.tbm(line 178): Error: Missing required token: [#End]. Found [$On Briefing Stage:] instead.

Error: brah-sct.tbm(line 178):
Error: Missing required token: [#End]. Found [$On Briefing Stage:] instead.

File: parselo.cpp
Line: 303

Error Log here:
https://fsnebula.org/log/5f35e8a9bc2bea6bba5a5611

[attachment deleted to save space]

Just a heads up that I am running into the same thing as Mobius on the Shell Game mission.  In the section with the gas canisters, when the Mako drops the cargo, it disappears.

Offline SF-Junky

• Bread can mold, what can you do?
When trying to use the current version 1.5.7 from Knossos, which shows an updated date of 2020-08-02 it throws an error trying to launch

TBM  =>  Starting parse of 'brah-sct.tbm' ...
brah-sct.tbm(line 178): Error: Missing required token: [#End]. Found [$On Briefing Stage:] instead.

Error: brah-sct.tbm(line 178):
Error: Missing required token: [#End]. Found [$On Briefing Stage:] instead.

File: parselo.cpp
Line: 303

Error Log here:
https://fsnebula.org/log/5f35e8a9bc2bea6bba5a5611
I am having the same issue.

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
Not really a bug but if you prematurely attack the outpost in "The Gulnara Heist" (before it turns red,) nothing happens, no consequences.

Also, I was told that "the portmaster did not like me using the drones that way" yet I could still use them.
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Not really a bug but if you prematurely attack the outpost in "The Gulnara Heist" (before it turns red,) nothing happens, no consequences.

Also, I was told that "the portmaster did not like me using the drones that way" yet I could still use them.

The former is a bug. Pretty sure it used to do something.

The latter is supposed to be a joke. The portmaster is not a huge fan of you sending his drones on kamikaze runs...
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline DefCynodont119

• Steam
(SVN/Dev version)

Annnd it appears that the checkpoint in "Shell Game" is not working right, it says that I reached the checkpoint, but after (dying and) exiting to the menu I can't reload it, the prompt never appears.

I'm looking at it in FRED now, but nothing jumps out at me as obviously wrong, then again, you probably have a much better idea of what to look for then I do MJN.
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Were you playing through the tech room? BtA checkpoints do not work in single-mission mode by design. They only work when playing in campaign mode.

Offline DefCynodont119

• Steam
Yeah I was in campaign mode. (I know how this works lol.)

Would pressing Escape After dying in campaign mode cause it to fail? I'm pretty sure "mission close" is still met by that condition. (as it's functionally the same as clicking the "return to flight deck" option.)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I'm unsure what would cause this for you, then. I tested today and had no issues with the checkpoint.

Offline DefCynodont119

• Steam
Yeah, I just ran thought it a few more times and it still isn't working.  :blah:

For what it's worth, I produced a log, (will PM it to you cuz it may contain secret stuff.)

Side note, I noticed that the Vasuden freighters that Aquarius wing is protecting attack them when they attack the player, I can fix this myself if you want.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Side note, I noticed that the Vasuden freighters that Aquarius wing is protecting attack them when they attack the player, I can fix this myself if you want.

Make any fixes you deem necessary to any mission. :)

Just make sure your SVN is up to date first.

On the first mission of Slaves of Chaos (Warm Welcome), I received this error after clicking 'Commit' to start the mission.  Clicking 'continue' or 'debug'  allows me to get through the error messages and brings me back to a paused instance of the game where the music is playing, but attempting to unpause the game gets me the error again, resulting in my only option being to click 'exit' to quit the game:

LUA ERROR: [string "carrote-sct.tbm - On Game Init"]:100: bad argument #1 to 'tonumber' (value expected)

------------------------------------------------------------------

stack traceback:
   [C]: ?
   [C]: in function 'tonumber'
   [string "carrote-sct.tbm - On Game Init"]:100: in function <[string "carrote-sct.tbm - On Game Init"]:97>
   (tail call): ?

I can tell how much effort was put into this campaign.  Thanks so much for putting it out there!

Offline xenocartographer

Hey, are you playing on the latest version (1.6.3)? We're not entirely sure why some people see this error and others don't, but it should be resolved if you update.

If updating doesn't fix it, then we'll have to dig further into it.

For the mission Groundhog Day, the lead indicator for the artillery is black. This is impossible to see in space.

This is for BTA 1.7.4

Offline xenocartographer

This is likely related to an engine change. We're working on a solution.

Offline DefCynodont119

• Steam
solution found! the fix for the lead indicator color in groundhog day will be in the next update.  :D

Offline pim

Wanted to report that dark artillery crosshair but it looks like you've got it already covered.
Also checkpoints and intro skipping seem to be ill in v1.7.4. When used, player ends in offside. Far far away from all events. It looks like engine doesn't respawn it in correct area.
One more issue. Going Out With a Bang mission crashes with a bang. It looks like that issue https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=97040.0 strikes back.
Otherwise I enjoyed every mission. BtA is really a masterpiece:-)
Nice touch with that font size multiplier. It helps a lot for 4k screens. Radio messages during the play still could be bigger, however with the voice acting (perfect btw) it's not a big deal.

Hi! In the mission where you need to destroy the transports landing on Antares Station and then the escape pods fly out, one of the escape pods is flagged to not be destroyed, but its engines can be destroyed - and I have, multiple times, on several repeats of the mission (destroyed as soon as it flags hostile, caught up to it with burners, ai just flew to it and blasted it.) Once destroyed, the mission basically freezes in place, since everyone gangs up on it and it never moves again, but it's never destroyed.

Also, in How The West Was Lost (the strikebusting one), the checkpoint puts you 35 kilometers from the action. The Return to Base directive also shows up significantly before the entire convoy is in, and even if you wait until Protect Convoy is completed, you get chewed out by command for having ships fail to get through - even when none were destroyed.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 02:14:59 am by Think0028 »