Author Topic: RELEASE - Wings of Dawn Episode 1  (Read 93866 times)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
RELEASE - Wings of Dawn Episode 1

Wings of Dawn
Episode 1

Follow Dawn on her adventure into space, where she meets new alien life forms and then, kills them.

Download:
Mediafire link, Windows version:
Old and busted, check the episode 1 & 2 release thread instead.

Installation:
Unpack Wings of Dawn.rar
Start the launcher and point it toward Fs2_open_Wings_of_Dawn-EX7.exe
If you get an error relating to OpenAL, then run oalinst.exe
Be sure to set your desired resolution (It will throw errors at you if you try to play it in 640x480!)
Presto, enjoy the game.

If you require troubleshooting, just post them in this thread.
If you want to post a review or give your thoughts, feedback and critique, post them: Here

What is Wings of Dawn?
Wings of Dawn is an anime-inspired space shooter game built on the Freespace 2 Open engine. It follows the story of a girl named Dawn, who gets thrown into a galaxy spanning war of space opera proportions. Dawn must keep her wits beside her as she encounters the numerous self-serving human governments, the long-eared and arrogant Cyrvans, and the lumbering might of the Hertak and their many thralls.

Wings of Dawn is an on-going story released in episodes and is completely free! And as a stand alone release, it does not require the installation of Freespace 2 or the Mediavps
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 05:54:39 am by Spoon »
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Re: RELEASE - Wings of Dawn Episode 1
Shoutouts:
I wanna give some Super thanks to Axem, without him this WoD remake wouldn't even be a shade of it's current form. His awesome Lua skills, fredding, cutscene making skills, endless patience when it comes to helping me out and polite canadian nature made this all possible!
Further shoutouts to Swifty, for contributing his amazing coding ability, enabling multilock, shadows and relentless bug fixing!
Also thanks to Dahblount and Hades, for their modelling contributions! Upgrading those old ugly ships into things of beauty!
And my good friend Mpgrey for going through the (rather massive) effort of spelling and grammar checking!

Also thanks to: Battuta, Sab0o, Droid803, Andrewofdoom, Valathil, Thaeris and AtomicClucker for various things!

FAQ
It says WoD is a stand alone, does this mean its not required to have Freespace 2 installed if I want to play WoD?
Yup!

Is Linux&Mac supported?
Sort of! I personally don't have any knowledge about Linux and Mac operating systems (and consequently don't have any machines to test with). But hopefully there should be builds available soon.
I just can't provide any direct support for this.

How does the difficulty in WoD differ from Freespace 2?
In Freespace 2, the missions remain the same regardless of difficulty. The difficulty setting just affects how much extra damage the player can endure and how fast his weapon energy and afterburners recharge.
In WoD, from medium difficulty onward, the numbers for the player remain the same but the amount of enemies that get spawned will increase. So if you are a veteran Freespace 2 player who normally plays on medium difficulty, it might be worth playing WoD on Hard or maybe even Insane!

Can I use WoD assets for my own mod/campaign/idea?

You can, assuming its being used for non commerical purposes.
I would appreciate it if you could drop me a PM if you intend on using any of WoD's stuff though.
Take note that I don't own the rights to any of the music, some of the sounds and some of the ship models that are being used. Refer to the credits for more details on that.

Is it possible to use the wxlauncher instead of the one provided with WoD?
Yes

My framerate is hitting rock bottom...

Disabling shadows in the launcher should help regaining some of those frames for you. If you are running a pc that doesn't have a dedicated videocard (intel integrated) you are probably just out of luck when it comes to getting a smooth framerate.

I need a debug build
Here you go

These controls are all wrong!
You can easily switch between the new and classic Freespace 2 controls by pressing the default button in the control config.

How wholesome and family friendly is WoD?
It contains some mild swearing and some unlockable lewd.

Checksums
Code: [Select]
WoD-Core.vp with a checksum of 0xb47a3f42
WoD-Sound.vp with a checksum of 0x87faa3a6
WoD-Visual1.vp with a checksum of 0xf83db06a
WoD-Visual2.vp with a checksum of 0x1bd60eab
WoD-Core.vp 126 files
WoD-Sound.vp 488 files
WoD-Visual1.vp 1566 files
WoD-Visual2.vp 7843 files
Found 5 roots and 10024 files.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 07:24:16 am by Spoon »
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Yayifications!

I shall get this up and running tout de suite!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Play Wings of Dawn

• Striking presentation! No more dots of light filling up the load screen. Wings unfold from a heraldic shield. The custom HUD is full of unique, mission-specific gauges. The mainhall is fully modeled and bits light up when you mouse over them. There are entire menu elements that didn't exist in core FS2, like a full-screen reading view for fiction, a diary, and more. Even the difficulty levels have been renamed.
  • Rich gameplay systems. Anyone who played the original Wings of Dawn release already got to see the carefully crafted damage model, with specific weapons excelling against specific targets, and the diverse range of enemy behaviors, with each species full of its own tricks and weaknesses to learn. But it's been five years and there's a lot more happening now - although if anything it's cleaner to pick up. LUA wizardry makes it easy to dogfight in a crevasse between three asteroids while dodging VLS missiles from a nearby ship and timing command-detonated mines. There are a ton of quality-of-life touches, including a beginner-friendly control scheme and an option to revert to FS classic with a single button!
  • Bafflingly seamless narrative. This is what really struck me! YOU CAN WANDER AROUND YOUR BASE SHIP AND TALK TO PEOPLE. It's not a 3D space, more like a choose-your-own-adventure, but you can decide to move between places, ask characters prying questions about their personal lives, read the news, eat breakfast, and so on. The Sorcerers Supreme may have gone TOO FAR. I don't want to overhype this like some Star Citizen bull**** but it really is very very cool. So instead of leaping from mission to debrief to CB to brief, you get downtime to see what's up and get to know people.
  • Really creative missions! You will do stuff you haven't done before. I don't want to talk about this too much because it'll spoil the fun but I will say that it's all cleanly taught, low-stress, and fun to repeat. And it will repeatedly expand your idea of what's possible in FSO. Particularly cool is the fact that 'walk around the ship' segments can cut right to space, so you might hear a character say 'we're jumping!' and get an external shot of the ship warping.
  • A killer look! I am a sucker for campaigns, like Diaspora, that manage to make their models look tactile. Wings of Dawn has a lot of sharp, colorful, interesting ships. Generous FXAA helps, sure, but the models also play to the colorful anime aesthetic, occasionally looking almost handdrawn. Your cockpit will actually get cracked and start fuzzing with errors as you take damage!

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own
Changes to the source available at: https://github.com/SamuelCho/Freespace-Open-Swifty/tree/wings_of_dawn

Building and sharing Mac and Linux builds are greatly welcome. Let me know if anyone has trouble compiling and I'll get them fixed ASAP!

Hooray!!

Offline Axem

*Crosses his fingers, hoping no stupid script errors pop up during playthroughs*

I think I'll have a hype heart attack before the download completes.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Oh Captain, my Captain...

You're awesome, Spoon.

:D
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
GET HYPE

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
A stupid question: will bad things happen if I plop the WoD folder in the FS2 folder like if it was a mod?
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
A stupid question: will bad things happen if I plop the WoD folder in the FS2 folder like if it was a mod?
Probably not, but bad things will happen if you try to play it without its custom build, so I wouldn't recommend trying to treat it like an ordinary mod for now.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Why would you want to do that, also.

Offline Lorric

To put it with the rest of the FS2 stuff.

That's where mine's going, but only because I chose that as the download location out of habit. I'll move it somewhere else when it's done downloading.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Probably not, but bad things will happen if you try to play it without its custom build, so I wouldn't recommend trying to treat it like an ordinary mod for now.
What AdmiralRalwood said.
During most of WoD's development, despite being standalone, I've had it as a folder inside my FS2 folder. Should be fine.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Lorric

I'll leave it in there then. :)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
What AdmiralRalwood said.
During most of WoD's development, despite being standalone, I've had it as a folder inside my FS2 folder. Should be fine.

Keep your standalones separate so you don't end up with Inferno situations ten years later due to copy-click errors. All things will break.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Building and sharing Mac and Linux builds are greatly welcome. Let me know if anyone has trouble compiling and I'll get them fixed ASAP!

Here's a 64bit Linux build. I've tested it on Ubuntu and Arch Linux.
I had to make a small change (2 lines) to the code. I've submitted it via pull request on GitHub.

Offline Lorric

I've moved my folder out of the Freespace folder. So far so good, it works.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ

Here's a 64bit Linux build. I've tested it on Ubuntu and Arch Linux.
I had to make a small change (2 lines) to the code. I've submitted it via pull request on GitHub.
Cheers! Added to the release post.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam