Author Topic: Cockpit Mod Not loading  (Read 1923 times)

Cockpit Mod Not loading
I've installed the Cockpit mod from Knossos, and no matter what I do, it doesn't seem to work. It throws an error saying "unable to find ship class * in stuff_int_list!".

What am I doing wrong?

[attachment deleted to save space]

Offline Strygon

• So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    • Steam
Re: Cockpit Mod Not loading
From what I can tell, you're doing nothing wrong, but whoever uploaded the mod and thought it was a good idea to shove every single ship ever made into the tables sure did.

I guess wait for a fix to uploaded? If you're good enough with table editing you can go in and manually remove all the entries involving ships that don't exist in FS2 Retail.
Makes missions sometimes.
Finished Projects: Operation: Cloak and Dagger

Current Projects: Scrolls Part 2 (FREDding), Dimensional Eclipse (Art),
The First Contact War, GTDr Amazon HTL

[23:22] strypolygon: andrew
[23:22] strypolygon: i have one favor to ask of you
[23:22] strypolygon: never try speaking german again
[23:23] Andrewofdoom: No.

[18:50] 島風改八百三: the duck has multipli
[18:50] 島風改八百三: many duck
[18:50] 島風改八百三: left side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: even side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: handle it

[21:34] MP-Ryan: Why on earth would you Google this
[21:34] The_E: why would you not

[06:46] Strigon: how big is a mini-campaign again?
[06:46] Asteroth: smaller than a campaign
[06:47 ]Strigon: thanks

[05:56] Strigon: If I had to take a shot for each time I randomly decided to change the UI sounds, I'd have died of alcohol poisoning by now

[17:36] qazwsxal: time to have some fun
[17:41] z64555: VC++5 is not my idea of fun

[EatThePath] do your missiles do anything absurd?
[Strigon] describe absurd
[Strigon] the entire mod is absurd

From what I can tell, you're doing nothing wrong, but whoever uploaded the mod and thought it was a good idea to shove every single ship ever made into the tables sure did.

I guess wait for a fix to uploaded? If you're good enough with table editing you can go in and manually remove all the entries involving ships that don't exist in FS2 Retail.

Is there a list of ships available in FS2 so I can pull out the ones that aren't supposed to be there.

Offline Strygon

• Steam

[05:56] Strigon: If I had to take a shot for each time I randomly decided to change the UI sounds, I'd have died of alcohol poisoning by now

I had the exact same problem, same error message.  I was bummed out because I've always thought FS should have some kind of cockpit...it never made sense to me that it didn't.  Even something minimalistic like what was done with Independence War 2: Edge of Chaos.  In fact, I-War 2 was kind of perfect because there wasn't a bunch of crap covering 3/4 of the screen, but still kind of felt like you were in a ship or something.  I-War 2 was a cool game...I wonder if it would run on Win10?     

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
I have removed all the non canon ships and uploaded a fresh version.  I suppose the original creator viewed the ability to specify all those non-canon ships as a feature - the mod could then be easily used with other mods.  However, FSO is now stricter in its parser than it was when it was made.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 11:57:00 am by Admiral Nelson »
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Thank you everyone for the replies and help!

I have removed all the non canon ships and uploaded a fresh version.  I suppose the original creator viewed the ability to specify all those non-canon ships as a feature - the mod could then be wasily used with other mods.  However, FSO is now stricter in its parser than it was when it was made.

When is the update populated to knossos usually? It still says the last update was September 20th 2020. (Just got the update!)

Thank you for this!

EDIT: Just flew a few missions, and it works flawlessly! Thank you so much!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 05:12:42 pm by DrJester »

The cockpit mod should have some distinct cockpits though. If nothing else, the cockpit of a Mara should not look anything like a Terran fighter cockpit

The cockpit mod should have some distinct cockpits though. If nothing else, the cockpit of a Mara should not look anything like a Terran fighter cockpit

I bet it would if parselo.cpp was willing to run it, I've been at this for hours and hours and I'm getting errors on ships I know for a fact exist in the game because it's the only Vasudan ship I ever use during the Vasudan missions.  I've decided that I should be happy FSO will run the game at all.  If I knew how to downgrade to v.19 I'd just do that but at this point I can't even think about freespace/  Screw it.

I have removed all the non canon ships and uploaded a fresh version.  I suppose the original creator viewed the ability to specify all those non-canon ships as a feature - the mod could then be easily used with other mods.  However, FSO is now stricter in its parser than it was when it was made.

Downloaded the mod for FS1 port, had to do so manually as it asks for FSPORT-mediavps while I have it installed. Anyway, it gives the same errors as the FS2 version.

Do you think you could... maybe, give it a look? And is there a possibility to extend this mod to other content, like Wing Commander Saga?

And again, thank you so very much for the fix! Flying with a cockpit is SOOOOOOOOO much better.

Offline Strygon

• Steam

You're free to model one yourself and ask Nelson to attach it to the mod, given that Fightermedic I'm pretty sure hasn't been around in years.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.

Not really...

Quote from: Playing Judas
As you know, we captured a Shivan Dragon-class fighter in Beta Aquilae.  Our technicians have retro-fitted this alien fighter with Terran instrumentation and gotten it into working condition.

... meaning that a terran cockpit had to be build into the captured Shivan fighters - considering that in both cases (Dragon and Mara) this was field engineering, you can assume they just transplanted an existing terran design into the Shivan chasis.

(not to mention that the canon mention of the Shivans being cyborgs implies that a Shivan fighter might simply directly connect into the pilot with no need for a cockpit assembly, only space for the pilot to be in --- which makes an interesting possibility that the distinction between pilot and ship does not apply)
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Admiral Nelson

I have purged all the non canon ships from the FS1 cockpit mod as well.  To the question around different cockpit models for different ships, as Strygon says I am not a modeler.  It would be a great deal of work to create different cockpits for all of the playable craft in FS1 and FS2.  The cockpit model in this mod was created by a poster called Vasudan Admiral who has not signed in to the board since 2016. :)

When I was working on porting WC Saga to standard FSO I did find quite a few screenshots of cockpits that team had made for it.  Unfortunately I could not find anything to indicate that these were ever released.  There was a poster called Scooby_Doo who did make several WC ships with modeled cockpits.  I don't think he made them for canon WC fighters, however.
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Not really...

Quote from: Playing Judas
As you know, we captured a Shivan Dragon-class fighter in Beta Aquilae.  Our technicians have retro-fitted this alien fighter with Terran instrumentation and gotten it into working condition.

... meaning that a terran cockpit had to be build into the captured Shivan fighters - considering that in both cases (Dragon and Mara) this was field engineering, you can assume they just transplanted an existing terran design into the Shivan chasis.

(not to mention that the canon mention of the Shivans being cyborgs implies that a Shivan fighter might simply directly connect into the pilot with no need for a cockpit assembly, only space for the pilot to be in --- which makes an interesting possibility that the distinction between pilot and ship does not apply)
  I forgot about that part with Terran instrumentation being implemented
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 12:25:56 pm by ShivanSlayer »

I have purged all the non canon ships from the FS1 cockpit mod as well.  To the question around different cockpit models for different ships, as Strygon says I am not a modeler.  It would be a great deal of work to create different cockpits for all of the playable craft in FS1 and FS2.  The cockpit model in this mod was created by a poster called Vasudan Admiral who has not signed in to the board since 2016. :)

When I was working on porting WC Saga to standard FSO I did find quite a few screenshots of cockpits that team had made for it.  Unfortunately I could not find anything to indicate that these were ever released.  There was a poster called Scooby_Doo who did make several WC ships with modeled cockpits.  I don't think he made them for canon WC fighters, however.

It works perfectly! Thank you!

I assume WC doesn't have a cockpit on the files we've downloaded, as I used the "show ship" file(unless I did something wrong, which is a high probability haha) system tutorial I found here, and nothing showed up.

Again, thank you!

Offline Admiral Nelson

No cockpits in WC - the fighters just have "solid" canopies.  If you do a member search for Scooby_Doo and show his posts you can see some wc ships with cockpits. 

No cockpits in WC - the fighters just have "solid" canopies.  If you do a member search for Scooby_Doo and show his posts you can see some wc ships with cockpits.

Found a small show stopping bug... heh!
There is no HUD or cockpit on the Shivan Dragon Class fighter for the following mission

https://wiki.hard-light.net/index.php/Playing_Judas

EDIT: I think I fixed it! Going deep into the files copy pasting a few things, and adding this "SF Dragon#Terrans" worked!

I attached them, in case you want them.

[attachment deleted to save space]
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 07:14:33 pm by DrJester »

Offline Admiral Nelson

OK, I've patched the FS1 version accordingly.
Thanks!