Author Topic: Using Tortoise SVN to check out the FS2_Open code  (Read 23331 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Using Tortoise SVN to check out the FS2_Open code
    Shamelessly stolen from the old "How to use TortoiseCVS" post :D

Here's how you set things up

• Go to the Tortoise SVN homepage and download the latest version
    • Install it. You'll have to restart your PC afterwards
    • Make a new folder on your HD where you'd like to install the code. You'll need a fair bit of space for the code + the intermediate files created when building it.
    • Press right mouse in the new folder and choose SVN Checkout from the list.
    • An new window will open up. Cut and paste this into the URL of repository box svn://svn.icculus.org/fs2open/trunk/fs2_open
    • By default the HEAD revision will be selected. You probably don't want to change this. Your screen should now look like this
    • Press OK to begin downloading from the repository. The process shouldn't take long if you have a reasonably fast connection.

Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: Using Tortoise SVN to check out the FS2_Open code
We should probably start referring to it as "trunk" now, to distinguish it from "HEAD".  New source control, so new terminology.  Also, we want to prevent people from getting confused and saying, "Wait, didn't you say to never ever ever check out HEAD?"

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
True but the program refers to it as HEAD so at least here that's what I have to call it. :D Besides, what used to be called HEAD is currently also in the trunk folder so that's likely to cause some confusion too.

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
GREAT  :yes: :yes:

I've updated Wiki but please:
  • Fix the stupid things that I've probably written. :nervous: :nervous:
  • Someone has to add the images. I can't do it.
  • Someone has to update the Unix help.
  • When you have finished setting up the repository, I think you should explain how to get:
    • The original FS2 and FRED2 code.
    • The different available unstable and stable branches (with whichever new names they have)
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
True but the program refers to it as HEAD so at least here that's what I have to call it. :D Besides, what used to be called HEAD is currently also in the trunk folder so that's likely to cause some confusion too.
Actually, HEAD is the very most recent revision, regardless of branch.  I think I confused some terms when I set up the original 3.6.9 arrangement. :)

Offline Kopachris

• send penguins
    • Steam
    • Twitter
What differences are there between svc and ftp, and what are the advantages of using one over the other?
----
My Bandcamp | Discord: Kopachris#0001 | My GitHub

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
If I've been working on a piece of code and another programmer also has SVN will merge both pieces of code together and (generally) allow me to update my code with everyone else's fairly painlessly.

Now imagine trying to do that from an FTP? First I'd have to figure out which pieces of code are new, then I'd have to manually compare them against my own files if I'd altered the same one, then I'd have to merge in any changes by hand.

That's not the only difference but that one alone makes it worth it. FTP is great if you have files that only one person changes. Otherwise you need some kind of versioning to make sure new stuff isn't overwritten by old stuff.

Offline Kopachris

• send penguins
    • Steam
    • Twitter
If I've been working on a piece of code and another programmer also has SVN will merge both pieces of code together and (generally) allow me to update my code with everyone else's fairly painlessly.

Now imagine trying to do that from an FTP? First I'd have to figure out which pieces of code are new, then I'd have to manually compare them against my own files if I'd altered the same one, then I'd have to merge in any changes by hand.

That's not the only difference but that one alone makes it worth it. FTP is great if you have files that only one person changes. Otherwise you need some kind of versioning to make sure new stuff isn't overwritten by old stuff.

Thank you.
----
My Bandcamp | Discord: Kopachris#0001 | My GitHub

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Now how do I use the code I now have. Do I need a compiler or something?
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Shade

Yes and no. You need a compiler to make you own builds, but to simply fiddle with the code, all you really need is a text editor and some understanding of c/c++. Using an IDE or a programming-oriented editor (like emacs), when messing with the code makes things much easier though, so getting something like Visual Studio Express set up on your system will be worth the effort if you intend to get serious about it.

And once you've made some changes and want to post a patch, winmerge is a good choice for making it.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
No, I just want to make an .EXE or whatever. And on a side note, is C to advanced a code to start out with?

Offline Shade

To make an exe then, yes, you do need a compiler. The one included with visual studio express will do it, though you won't be able to compile FRED with it, as will gcc if you're running linux.

C is sort of an intermediary language, making it a bit more complex than a true high level language, but I wouldn't call it too advanced. I know several people whose first true programming language was C. If you know any Java, that might even make it easier to get started, as the syntax is similar in many ways. Perhaps the big thing about C is that it lets you make mistakes - You are given power to do stuff, but with that, you are also given the power to mess things up horribly.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
So how would I go about doing this?

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Umh?

Go to MS Express Edition page and download the whole lot in a DVD install or do one of web installs. After you finish the installation and having downloaded the FS Open sourcecode from SVN start the C++ express edition, go to 'file > open > project or solution'. Go to the directory where you placed the fs open sourcecode and select 'projects > MSVC_2005 > Freespace2.sln'. Wait a bit for it load properly. And assuming you had everything setup already all you need to do now is to select either debug or release option from the top menu and then select from the top bar 'build -> build solution'.

Or did you mean something else?
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
No, that's what I want. To make an .EXE.

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Well the procedure i described should have produced an .exe file.. To projects/msvc_2005/debug (or release) directory...
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
It had to convert it, and said "Some Warnings". Is that OK?

Offline Shade

Warnings are ok (I've never been able to compile with less than 3 warnings, myself, except by turning them off), errors are not. Basically, as long as it produces an exe, you're in business.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Btw, without a full copy of Visual C++, you won't be able to compile FRED.  It requires the MFC (Microsoft Foundation Classes), which the Express editions do not come with.  Neither do the additional SDKs.  So, just for compiling FSO, you only need VC++ Express 2008.  You should be able to convert the VS2005 project in place and compile with no additional changes necessary.  I copy the 2005 project folder to a new one so it doesn't interfere with Tortoise every time I want to update the local code base.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays