Author Topic: A memorandum of good cheer!  (Read 8147 times)

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Re: A memorandum of good cheer!
Oddly enough, the low quality of the audio files used in the original actually helped, because dropping the resolution of the sounds make it sound more like a 'Radio' broadcast, rather than a spoken voice.

I have the same problem as you, Death Screams, for example, are out of the question, and I'm pretty sure I'd get some strange looks from Sharon if I started shouting at my computer to charge beam arrays and launch all fighters, Still, I get strange looks from Sharon all the time anyway, so that won't be too much of a problem ;)

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
I hope you weren't refering to these guys. :p
One more thing... we know Darius is a very good FREDder, plot creator, composer and modder... but that doesn't necessarily imply that the rest of the BP Team is comparable to the project leader - you guys have a lot to prove...  ;)

Yo trying to say somethin' fool? :P

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
* Aardwolf can't voice act, because he sounds like a nerd

Unfortunately, what I sound like to other people and to microphones isn't what I sound like to me. It's probably got to do with the sound resonating inside my head or something.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
* Aardwolf can't voice act, because he sounds like a nerd

Unfortunately, what I sound like to other people and to microphones isn't what I sound like to me. It's probably got to do with the sound resonating inside my head or something.
I thought that happens to everyone?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
It does.  I think I sound rather more manleh in my head than I do audibly, but at least what comes out isn't too bad.

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
;-)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 08:11:07 pm by High Max »
;-)   #.#   *_*   ^^   ^-^   ^_^

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
No, Aardwolf was right.  It has nothing at all to do with the quality of the recording device, or anything like that.  You could record yourself in a professional voiceover booth, yet you'd still sound rather different than you do to yourself.  Remember that sound transmits far better through solids than it does through air, so when you speak, your eardrums pick up a lot of vibration straight from the vocal cords through your body; this results in a different sound than just hearing the vibrating air coming out of your mouth.

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
;-)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 08:11:16 pm by High Max »

Offline -Norbert-

Usually they are told, if their voices sound bad, long before they get a chance to sing live before an audiance...
Besides they also hear whats coming out of the speakers (at least if the one on the mixer knows his job).

So I guess there is no way for me to sound that way to others.
You could try to get a waterproof microphone and record under water. Maybe the water will transfer the soundwaves better than the air  :P

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
That's a bummer. I think my voice and tone sounds better to me than hearing it on a device. So I guess there is no way for me to sound that way to others.
You won't ever sound just the same to others as you do in your head, but you can project a less pinched, more resonant tone by having good, well-aligned but relaxed posture and using your chest and throat as resonating cavities in addition to the mouth and sinus.  A lot of your tone is determined by the length and thickness of your vocal cords, which there isn't much you can do about, but you can make yourself sound less tiny to others and on recordings by opening up your body into as big of a reverberant chamber as possible.  Or you can always darken up your tone by taking like Kermit the Frog or Percy Sledge, but that's a whole other can o' worms.

edit: misspelled vocal cords, the shame...

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
;-)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 08:10:58 pm by High Max »

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
I'm wasn't meaning to say anything about your voice being high or low, only that good speaking/singing form can help you communicate with greater timbral and dynamic flexibility (which might help you sound less monotonous on recordings) while also adding some resonance to the sound you're making (which might help make the sound that other people hear when you speak more like what's in your head).

And it's not that far off topic--BP is asking for voice acting stuff.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
We're almost done, actually. We just need Eriana and Mei Ling, and Orestes Tactical, and for Rian to finish doing Admiral Carey. And for the Sam guy to redo a couple lines.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
That was one heck of a fast reply.  In the good cheer theme, I'm really looking forward to playing both of these campaigns: the text background stuff shows how much thought has gone into it and the video previews are super exciting!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
You could play Age of Aquarius without the voice acting. The recent 3.6.10 version has a couple glitches that need polish, though.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
For those of you with higher-ranged voices, you can always use pitch-shifters and things that don't affect the length of the recording, sometimes that can work quite well though, oddly enough, the most common mistake is overdoing it, so all the voice acting sounds like Solid Snake on a mixture of Steroids and Valium.

Often it's not so much a question of a high pitched voice as the fact that many Mic's almost totally ignore the Bass range, try bringing up the Bass levels in a Graphic Eq., that will also help.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
You could play Age of Aquarius without the voice acting. The recent 3.6.10 version has a couple glitches that need polish, though.
But I am looking forward to being embarrassed at how I still manage to sound like a 12 year old in the game after being all "proper spinal alignment" on the board  :D

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
;-)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 08:11:37 pm by High Max »

Offline Leeko

• Computer ketchup
  • Lurking since 2009
However, I just wanted to note - as a fan, rather than as a member of the team - that boy, a lot of people seem to be playing Blue Planet. Nearly every newb or IRC-newcomer has mentioned trying it (often in the context of requesting technical support  :p)

The reason I made an account on HLP after lurking for nearly four years is so that I could find out how to extract music files from Blue Planet's VPs. Some of it is still in my WoW raiding playlist. :yes:

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Expect more awesome music to come with WiH, currently we have one tabled track (divided into parts, like Machine) and several non-tabled (started by SEXPs, like just Aim).