Author Topic: Current Commandline Flag Recommendations  (Read 1380 times)

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Current Commandline Flag Recommendations
So I've finally reinstalled FSO after about two years, and loading up some previous configurations I notice a number of changes to flags in the newer FSO builds.  So, I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for some commandline graphics flags.

My primary system:
i5 4590
16 GB RAM
GTX 1060 6GB
SSD
(Max screen resolution 1680x1050)

My laptop:
i7 7700
16 GB RAM
GTX 1050Ti 4GB
SSD
(Max screen resolution 1080p)

Current flags (from my older config, pre-Knossos), last used for Blue Planet:

Graphics-related:
-3dshockwave -post_process -soft_particles -fxaa -fb_explosions -fb_thrusters -enable_shadows -bloom_intensity 25 -ambient_factor 100 -no_emissive_light -ogl_spec 30 -spec_exp 5.5 -spec_point 0.3 -spec_static 0.4 -spec_tube 0.2

Personal preference:
-targetinfo -rearm_timer -ship_choice_3d -weapon_choice_3d -fps

Any of those graphical settings I should ponder switching out/up?
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Re: Current Commandline Flag Recommendations
So I assume you're using Knossos?

I think both of the systems should handle everything at maximum settings at maximum available resolutions perfectly fine. So, my personal preference:

Graphics: Just enable everything you can enable, and if you like you can disable motion debris (the space trash stuff) and emissive lighting from ships (if you like dark lighting; it's the -no_emissive-light flag from earlier FSO).
Game Speed: you can opt to not disable VSync if you like, your framerate will be capped at 60 for most monitors but it will save a bit of energy and noise for you since the hardware will be less utilised.
HUD: Everything on, but the 3D radar tends to get messy with radar icons so I usually keep it off.
Gameplay: Everything on.

And that's all I guess. You can enable the FPS counter from "Dev Tool" too, if you want. as for custom flags (my lighting setup):
-ambient_factor 75 -spec_point 0.3 -spec_static 1.0 -spec_tube 0.3 -spec_exp 0.7 -bloom_intensity 35

Ambient factor for ambient (seems to do nothing up to 70), point for laser shots light, static for sun light, tube for beam light, bloom for... bloom.
The ogl_spec flag actually does nothing for some time now.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Re: Current Commandline Flag Recommendations
Thanks Mito, I'll tinker with those custom flags.  Yeah, I'm using Knossos.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]