Poll

In your opinion, just how much energy can they harness?

II
14 (33.3%)
III
7 (16.7%)
>III
21 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: Where are the Shivans on the Kardashev Scale?  (Read 11183 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Where are the Shivans on the Kardashev Scale?
So the Shivans are type III - they use 10^20, or 10000000000000000000 H bombs per second? :wtf: :doubt:

1.27. (anyone here think 3.6.9?) ;)

That's pretty reasonable, actually.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
* Androgeos Exeunt has voted.

I'd say II. If they were all-powerful (i.e. III), they would be invincible, but they are not. The fact that the Lucifer was destroyed shows that even the Shivans cannot control subspace.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
II seems about right.
To field a fleet of Saths, you have to be able to at least harness a star's worth of energy.
Not a goddamn galaxy though.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
You wouldn't remotely need a stars "energy" and we're talking about power here, not energy. Each Sathanas is tiny compared to a planetoid, and even most asteroids. Why the hell would you need a stars worth of power to produce them?

This whole scale makes no sense to me, because in the end, we could be talking about power in a matter antimatter reaction, power in the chemical reactions that could occur, power that the object is receiving...

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
This might be worth a look.
My blog

MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Aw, I was hoping for a funny image when I saw the filename.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
You wouldn't remotely need a stars "energy" and we're talking about power here, not energy. Each Sathanas is tiny compared to a planetoid, and even most asteroids. Why the hell would you need a stars worth of power to produce them?

This whole scale makes no sense to me, because in the end, we could be talking about power in a matter antimatter reaction, power in the chemical reactions that could occur, power that the object is receiving...

No matter what's producing it, power is measured in the same units.

The Kardashev scale specifically refers to the ability to harness the entire energy output of a star: i.e. build a Dyson shell around it.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Which I doubt even the Shivans can do. Mars' point remains valid. Nowhere near that level is necessary even for the Shivan fleet we saw in FS2...particularly since for all we know they've been assembling it over a period of more than four millenia!
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Since Earth isn't really producing any energy at all, unless you count geothermal, it would be difficult to harness all of it. What is meant by "harnessing" and "all of the power" and "produced"? As I said, a lot of power could be produced if you took the Earth and combined it with an anti-matter Earth. That is not, I think, what is meant by "power produced"

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
I've got to say over Type II and perhaps Type III or beyond. Would any of us be "surprised" if they saw a Shivan Dyson Shell of sorts in an hypothetical FS3?
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline terran_emperor

• 7 Impossible Requests Before Breakfast
  • Kane Live in Death
No, i wouldnt. I supect that have in their core space...If it can be defined as such, thousands if not millions of structures like the Star Forge from KOTOR
e = m csarged - Relativity according to Sarge [Red vs Blue]

TRUE SHIVAN

HLP's only Goro Naya (Great Leader) fan

"I really wasn't expecting this much losership"

"Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand: How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

HLP Brit

Offline KappaWing

• Lost in the nebula
Unknown

Not enough information

This thread is a place where you can take canon knowledge and add your imagination.

Canon indicates II, but leaves the possibility for III and above, depending on how your imagination takes you.
"Your efforts to interdict me have failed, papacy. Pentagon, engage propaganda drive."
"Now, Protestant scum, you will see the power of this fully armed and operational Papal Station!"

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
It's a stupid scale.

I agree. The scale is rubbish.

I believe no race will EVER be able to harness the power of a star, and especially a galaxy. It stinks of handvawium extraordinare.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Guys, seriously. Shivan ships aren't that much better than Terran/Vasudan ships, and you kill A LOT of Shivans in both games. Yeah, we're outnumbered and outgunned, but I think it's by a comprehensible amount. If they were II or higher they'd just steamroll over us without a second thought. Type III and they could instantaneously vaporize all of our solar systems just as easily as we would swat a fly.

That said, I have had visions of venturing into Shivan space with some kind of amazingly advanced fleet, then watching Shivan ships in the distance a thousand times bigger than your fleet, duking it out with equally colossal ships of some other race ("symptom of a bigger problem" and all that). It would be great to just sit in awe of some massive conflict so destructive you couldn't begin to approach it without being destroyed.

Also, where does the GTVA fit on that scale? 1.01? 1.1?
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I for the GTVA. If you count Terrans and Vasudans separately before the Great War, I estimate 0.5.
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline Droid803

I for the GTVA. If you count Terrans and Vasudans separately before the Great War, I estimate 0.5.

Impossible. Our current civilization is rated at 0.72 already.
(´・ω・`)

Offline Shade

It isn't a linear scale though, but a very steep logarithmic scale (difference between 1 and 2 being the difference between a planet and a sun). Even though we're at .72 now we're a lot further from 1.0 than we are from 0.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Droid803

Yeah, but its still impossible for the GTA/PVN to be any less than 0.72 like Exeunt said...
(´・ω・`)

Offline KappaWing

• Lost in the nebula
It isn't a linear scale though, but a very steep logarithmic scale (difference between 1 and 2 being the difference between a planet and a sun). Even though we're at .72 now we're a lot further from 1.0 than we are from 0.

Really? I was under the impression it was supposed to be linear after you take in the effects of the so-called technological singularity.
"Your efforts to interdict me have failed, papacy. Pentagon, engage propaganda drive."
"Now, Protestant scum, you will see the power of this fully armed and operational Papal Station!"

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I don't think Kardashev and Vingean singularities are related.