Author Topic: Diaspora 2nd Voice Acting Casting Call  (Read 28913 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Re: Diaspora 2nd Voice Acting Casting Call
I don't know if it's just my own inexperience talking, but I'd be wary of going too crazy with the noise removal feature in Audacity.  I've had many times where it definitely yanked out something from my voice and left me sounding rather robotic.

I got a microphone that wasn't my headset, so I'm set noise-wise. What's that about a stereo file though? Can I record channel and just duplicate it to make a stereo file?
EDIT: Never mind, that's what I did and it worked.

Offline Snagger

Please, no-one say "negatory" - the proper expression is "negative", and only the biggest arseholes on the radio use that horrible non-expression.  It was probably invented by George W's speech writers.  Honestly, if you run with that, it would be too annoying for anyone who uses RT in real life to play the game more than once.

Offline newman

Please, no-one say "negatory" - the proper expression is "negative", and only the biggest arseholes on the radio use that horrible non-expression.  It was probably invented by George W's speech writers.  Honestly, if you run with that, it would be too annoying for anyone who uses RT in real life to play the game more than once.

I tend to agree with this.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Better to leave it in unless you are a professional at this sort of thing. And if you are a professional why haven't you applied to join us? :p

Heh, I was keen on doing voice acting the first time around. I'm a professional voice actor, just not a professional sound editor :P

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
In that case be sure to send us a sample of your voice as described in the first post.

Actually it's a hell of a lot older than that.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/negatory

negatory
"expressing negation," 1580, from M.Fr. negatoire,  from M.L. negatorius  "negative," from L. negatus  (see negation). In the sense "no" it is U.S. Air Force slang from the early 1950s.

Not that I'm particularly bothered about using it. Just that it seems pretty silly to single out one piece of air force slang.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Bush's writers loved to use it because it was an attempt to go "see he flies planes! stupid people don't fly planes!" (well... for some reason we reward the ones who fly into birds but not the ones who do their jobs right every day...)

But on its own, it's proper flyboy slang.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Neg>negatory.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
There's also a reason you say longer terms over radio. Things like the phonetic alphabet because you want to make sure that you're heard.
Ace
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Demitri

There's also a reason you say longer terms over radio. Things like the phonetic alphabet because you want to make sure that you're heard.
Wouldn't "Negative" suffice in that case then?
"Brothers and sisters are natural enemies!
Like Englishmen and Scots!
Or Welshmen and Scots!
Or Japanese and Scots!
Or Scots and other Scots!
Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland!" - Groundskeeper Willie

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
Negatory :p
Ace
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Demitri

Negatory :p
I cant actually believe i left myself open to that one! :lol:
"Brothers and sisters are natural enemies!
Like Englishmen and Scots!
Or Welshmen and Scots!
Or Japanese and Scots!
Or Scots and other Scots!
Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland!" - Groundskeeper Willie

Offline Snagger

Not quite.  It's because many letters or words sound similar and could easily be confused, especially where heavy accents or back ground noise are present.  For example, "no" could easily be confused with "go".  B, d and e sound similar, as do m and n.  S and f can be hard to distinguish on the radio.  E and i can get confusing with conversations between French and English speakers.  Even the numbers 2 and 3 are often indistinguishable, amazingly, with foreign accents. The phonetic alphabet and numbers and the use of standard international phraseology are critical in multi-national RT, but I have to say that US pilots are terrible at it.  They drop numbers from read-backs, use non-standard terminology and often don't bother to read back the details of critical clearances, responding with just a callsign or "roger" (illegal response).  They're not alone, by any means, but it is a predominant disposition.  But then again, BSG's continual and undisciplined RT chatter and distorted sound may be more representative of US RT - European and certainly British RT use tends to be stricter and clearer, especially UK military, which is generally free from distortion or garbling and is fairly strict on what is actually said.

But "negatory" has never been used outside the US and, frankly, sounds ridiculous.

By the way, my reference to George W was tongue in cheek - I hadn't heard him use "negatory" but it does fit the pattern of horrible non-words and mispronunciations that he would use in public speeches.

id say the distortions are probably due to interferance from interstellar interferance.

Offline tikey

• Not Batman
I'd say god did it

Offline newman

God doesn't get personally involved too much in the BSG 'verse, that's what's he's got promiscuous blond angels for.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline a1mck

Hi,

I've just found this, and I have some questions regarding the voice acting that you're requesting.

Do you want me to change my voice for each of the lines such as different accent, or will that be done in post, or do you want me to change it using a program?

Can you give me an idea as to how intense you want the lines for "Green Team Arrived - "This is Green wing, we have arrived."" and for the Purple Team and the others?

Thanks,
a1mck

Offline newman

Hi,

I've just found this, and I have some questions regarding the voice acting that you're requesting.

Do you want me to change my voice for each of the lines such as different accent, or will that be done in post, or do you want me to change it using a program?

I'd say to go with the accent you feel you can do best. If you can do more then one, great, we might be able to use you for more then one role then. Don't change anything in post unless you feel you're really good with sound editing. And if you are, you should be joining the team anyway :)

Can you give me an idea as to how intense you want the lines for "Green Team Arrived - "This is Green wing, we have arrived."" and for the Purple Team and the others?

Yea, those aren't exactly "oh my gods the Columbia is gone" kinds of moments - you probably want to do those in a calm, reassuring voice.

Offline a1mck

Thanks for the reply! I'm about a 1/4 done, and I should have them out to you by tonight.

I've done them in 3's so you have 3 separate tones for each line.

Please let me know if the quality is to your standards, or if you'd like any changes made.

Thanks,

a1mck

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
Generally for the regular dialog everything should be in a calm professional voice, minus when you're being blown up (but even then don't overact. We don't need Calculons and Shatners :p )

In the campaign itself, ideally we'll have some direction notes with the dialog.
Ace
-Alfred Hitchcock