Author Topic: Cylon Baseship missiles and nukes need more resistance to flak  (Read 22154 times)

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Re: Cylon Baseship missiles and nukes need more resistance to flak
Sobeks are a lighter class of Battlestar in general while Baseships are larger then most Colonial vessels.  Not as small as a Valk mind, but still more compact then the Galactica:

“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Narvi

Sobeks are a lighter class of Battlestar in general while Baseships are larger then most Colonial vessels.  Not as small as a Valk mind, but still more compact then the Galactica:

Yeesh, that's small.

Where are they fitting eighty Vipers and the assorted Raptors in those little flight pods?

Offline newman

Yeesh, that's small.

Where are they fitting eighty Vipers and the assorted Raptors in those little flight pods?

This is a common logic fault with many sci-fi fans; if a ship isn't miles long, that means it's small :) A Sobek-class ship is still over a kilometer in length. For perspective, you could almost put three Nimitz-class carriers along her length. Her two "small pods" are each larger than an Essex-class carrier.
For further perspective, a 300-and-change m long Nimitz can house about 90 assorted aircraft at full capacity, each of which are quite larger than Vipers or Raptors. The Sobek may not be as large as the big G or Pegasus, but she's still a big ship that had plenty enough room for her complement.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 05:00:14 pm by newman »
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I blame FS and its wtfhuge fov.

Put your fov to something like 0.5 and big ships will suddenly look much more impressive.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Narvi

Yeesh, that's small.

This is a common logic fault with many sci-fi fans; if a ship isn't miles long, that means it's small :)

A Sobek-class ship is still over a kilometer in length. For perspective, you could almost put three Nimitz-class carriers along her length. Her two "small pods" are each larger than an Essex-class carrier.

For further perspective, a 300-and-change m long Nimitz can house about 90 assorted aircraft at full capacity, each of which are quite larger than Vipers or Raptors.

The Sobek may not be as large as the big G or Pegasus, but she's still a big ship that had plenty enough room for her complement.

Well I was kinda eyeballing it. I didn't think the flightpods were longer than 150 meters.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
To scale.

[attachment removed and sold on the black market]
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Yeesh, that's small.

Galactica was able to fit eighty Vipers and all their raptors into one pod in season 3 and 4. Even though the pods are a bit shorter, a Sobek has four hangar decks to Galactica's one. That's almost as spacious as when they were running at 1/3rd capacity at the beginning of the show.

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin
The battlestars also have fewer crew members than modern carriers. Galactica had less than 3,000, didn't it?

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Yep, Gal had ~2800 crew due to being decomissioned. IIRC, the crew number were ~5000 during active duty.
Pegasus also had less then 2000 crewmembers ( 2500 standard), despite being larger then Galactica.

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin
Yep, Gal had ~2800 crew due to being decomissioned. IIRC, the crew number were ~5000 during active duty.
Pegasus also had less then 2000 crewmembers ( 2500 standard), despite being larger then Galactica.

Okay, thanks; I didn't think about the fact that Big G wasn't running a full complement. Even then, 5,000 is still fewer crew than the Nimitz.

My conclusion: scale in sci-fi is whack.

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel

Okay, thanks; I didn't think about the fact that Big G wasn't running a full complement. Even then, 5,000 is still fewer crew than the Nimitz.

My conclusion: scale in sci-fi is whack.

Yeah, it is.
For comparison:

Galactica: ~1500m length, 5000 crew
B5 Omega destroyer: ~1700m length, 1000crew
Imperial Stardestroyer: ~1600m length, ~30000crew

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
And GTD Orion, ~ 2,000m, 10,000 crew

All the sci-fi universe have their own standards regarding ship sizes and crew ratio related to internal space and/or level of automation or whatever, but one thing tends to come a lot : capital ships. are. HUGE. compared to nowadays' carriers and stuff. While fighters are usually not much bigger than nowadays fighters.

We tend to miss that a lot because there's no point of reference in space. Which is why it's often useful to look at wikis and stuff to look for the size of stuff from time to time.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline newman

The main reason sci-fi fighters tend to be small are set costs; larger set pieces require larger sets, and that all costs a lot :)
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Just curious, could Colonial One land in a Theseus flight pod, like it did on Galactica?

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Just curious, could Colonial One land in a Theseus flight pod, like it did on Galactica?

nope, theseus hangar ceiling is to narrow.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
The realistic amount of Raiders would be... 784 or so per baseship? (I think that sounds right for the rack figure) Even if they launch half of their wings let's say it'd be crash ville far worse than the stability issues some players are currently having.
Who said they have to deploy it all at once? That's a stupid thing to do, since if they somehow got blown up, the Basestar would be left defenseless. I'd say, use waves, and use more Heavy Raiders in proportion to Advanced and regular ones. I haven't seen too many Heavy Raider flights in campaign (BTW, I've seen an FS use of the term "wing" a few times in Diaspora. Unless the same error is made in the show, the correct term is "flight"), and more of them would certainly make the Basestar engagements tougher.
You do realize that deploying your fighterwings in waves only makes them easier to kill, right? It makes picking off the Raiders easier. :P

Deploying them all at once and en masse helps them overwhelm the enemy fighters and the battlestar's defenses. (While keeping some Raiders for point defense duty around the basestar)
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
You do realize that deploying your fighterwings in waves only makes them easier to kill, right? It makes picking off the Raiders easier. :P

Deploying them all at once and en masse helps them overwhelm the enemy fighters and the battlestar's defenses. (While keeping some Raiders for point defense duty around the basestar)
You can't deploy 700 raiders at once without killing the engine. Waves are the only way to do this. Of course, they don't make much sense in-universe, but TBH, few engine limitations do.

Offline newman

Well I was kinda eyeballing it. I didn't think the flightpods were longer than 150 meters.

Well, even a quick glance should make it clear the pods take roughly half the length of the Theseus, so 150m doesn't work if the ship is 1km long :) As it happens, I checked - the ship itself is 1092m long (antennas included), and the pods are 544m long. So each pod is roughly 1.5x the size of a Nimitz-class. If that's small, I wonder what you'll say about the Valk which is about 400m shorter than the Sobek class :)

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
The AI gets better in Insane. It is likely that, by cranking up the difficulty, you actually increased the Theseus' fire rate and hence its missile interception rate.
I don't know how Diaspora did their AI classes and profiles, but this is not necessarily true. It can be avoided.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
The AI gets better in Insane. It is likely that, by cranking up the difficulty, you actually increased the Theseus' fire rate and hence its missile interception rate.
I don't know how Diaspora did their AI classes and profiles, but this is not necessarily true. It can be avoided.

indeed there are a number of flags in different that can be used to tweek or remove this, "Same Turret Cooldown" being the main one, which is used in Diaspora
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art