FreeSpace Releases > Asset Releases

[RELEASE] GTCa Hera

<< < (3/10) > >>

Nightmare:

--- Quote from: Colonol Dekker on January 06, 2020, 11:32:07 am ---It's the lack of windows....it has no soul.
It has windows, but more would make it feel more inhabited and break its character.

--- End quote ---

Having windows doesn't make that much sense though...

Nyctaeus:

--- Quote from: Nightmare on January 06, 2020, 12:23:12 pm ---
--- Quote from: Colonol Dekker on January 06, 2020, 11:32:07 am ---It's the lack of windows....it has no soul.
It has windows, but more would make it feel more inhabited and break its character.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
From artistic reasons, it does. The same as other details. You may have ultra-realistic result in form of bare plating covering whole hull, but is this design visually attractive? Nope. It's boring. That's why I always try to find proper balance between realistic and cool result.

Colonol Dekker:

--- Quote from: Nightmare on January 06, 2020, 12:23:12 pm ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

I completely agree, I am in complete agreement.  But that's the point I badly made.  Effective warships made to fight and die shouldn't appear characterful.   They are soulless utilitarian machines.

Nightmare:
It's an artistic decision- you can have ships designed either to be 100% functional or good looking. Not that having both would be completely impossible but it would be more difficult. OTT had (some) fighters that used internal (visual) cockpits, what seems quite reasonable.

Nyctaeus:
It is also following creative guidelines established by authors. FS is very distinctive in terms of style of warships. :v: clearly stated their creative direction in both FS games. Terran ships of FS are mostly painted, have pipes, windows and other kinds of external details and share plating patterns between eachother.

I'm trying my best to mimic V texturing style and translate it into modern PBR standards, but it's an art a very few modders truly acknowledged. It's not easy to reverse-engineer techniques of masters.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version